re: Smallville Season 7 + the CW's rebroadcasting schedule

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After more of the same during Smallville's season 6, I was finally able to cut the string (along with help from 30 Rock/My Name Is Earl/Scrubs & Ugly Betty being on during the same time slot). I skipped the entirety of season 7. Sure, there were "other" methods for me to watch the show, but they weren't in HD, and i'm not one for going the "official" route and watching it on my computer. Needless to say, I didn't miss it.

However, during the writer's strike, since either 30 Rock/Earl/Scrubs or Ugly Betty wasn't on, my TiVo would record Smallville. So, since I modded my TiVoHD with a 1tb HD, I had the room to hang on to 'em. What for? At the time, I had no idea. Once the TV season finally ended (for real, this time), I noticed that the CW would be rebroadcasting Smallville in order (somewhat). Nowadays, it's rare that a network would reair a "serialized" television show since they might not get the ratings they want (along with the reasoning that someone wouldn't join a show in the middle of a storyline). So, since it was HD, and I had nothing better to do, I watched 'em.

Overall, i'd have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that season seven didn't suck. Sure, there were slight speedbumps, but less than usual. Since I wasn't watching it, I didn't bother reading the weekly threads (sorry, Lorenzo ), but I got the overall feeling that people were still disappointed and the finale sucked. Well, you might have a partial point with the finale statement (I just felt they tried to cram to much into one hour, and some of it was ).

So what does this have to do with the CW's rebroadcasting schedule?

Well, as I said, my season pass was in full effect and recorded each episode that the CW aired. I noticed that they skipped one or two, but thankfully, they were the ones that my TiVo recorded during the regular season (though, TiVo recorded, and later, erased the Pete chews Kryto-Gum episode before I could watch - though, from all reports, TiVo did me a favor). As the summer wound down, and the new television season was about to start, I noticed that the last episode they were going to rebroadcast was the penultimate episode, Quest, and the season eight premiere was to follow the week after.

Huh? 'Scuse me? Wouldn't that be akin to getting a happy ending that was just happy with no ending?

So, my initial plan to come here and say that Smallville surprisingly didn't suck and that the CW deserved props for airing a "serialized" tv show in its entirety instead of some stupid reality game show was shot to hell and now I can only confirm that half of that statement is true.
Old 09-20-08, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Ummm... Yeah!
Old 09-21-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Smallville got much better starting with season 5. Of course nothing could be worse than season 4. Seven had promise but I think like a lot of shows, the writers strike put strain on things.

And thank your Tivo for missing the Pete episode. Terrible. It's odd seeing Pete, very nostalgic and you want to like it, but everyone has grown up on the show, but without any development, he still seems like he's stuck in high school.