Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tooth Fairy, a.k.a. Let's Further Undermine Dwayne Johnson's Street Cred (2009)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started discussing this in another thread, thought we could move the contempt to its own place. Not convinced? Read the plot summary.

The film centers on Derek Thompson (Johnson), a minor-league hockey player whose nickname is the Tooth Fairy because of his ability to knock out opposing players' teeth. When he discourages a youngster's hope*, Derek is ordered to one week's hard labor as a real tooth fairy, complete with wings, magic wand and frilly tutu. Along the way, he rediscovers his forgotten dreams.
Also embarrassing themselves are Ashley Judd (what, microwaveable suspense thrillers got too out of vogue?)

A friend of mine has pointed out several times that every year I have to have a movie which becomes something I complain about ad nauseum, must NEVER see, and in the end have a full-blooded vendetta against it. If the movie is a hit, then I've been justified. Past inductees were Night at the Museum, Wild Hogs (especially since Zodiac and Black Snake Moan were out the same weekend), and this year, Beverly Hills Chihuahua, the Bizarro Dark Knight.

Also, Oscar winner (and who shows her boobs for a second or two in the super-underrated S.O.B.) Julie Andrews is playing "a high-ranking, acerbic supervisor with the Tooth Fairy Department charged with overseeing Derek's stint as a tooth fairy." This was quoted straight from the linked article.

So yeah, watch out people. This is going to make a clusterfuck of The Pacifier, Space Chimps, Meet Dave, and The Game Plan look like The Godfather.

* - IMDb plot synopsis says that apparently he tells a six-year-old the tooth fairy isn't real. Kids these days.
Old 09-19-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll wait and see; I actually thought the Game Plan was decent and watchable thanks to Dwayne, as much as i'd like to see him in more action movies.
Old 09-19-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Oh no

The Rock's STREET CRED? What is he a gangsta now?

He wants to make family friendly movies so what? Lots of actors have made a decent living out of those. IMHO there is NO shame in making a movie that makes kids laugh.
Old 09-19-08, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, he's making a lot of money cause he knows theres tons of money to be made in kid's movies. I can't hate him for that.

It seems like a waste though because I'd like to see him in a little bit more serious roles. I think you get any other big guy like him to do kids movies and they probably won't care, do they even know who the Rock is?
Old 09-19-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's already in the Escape to Witch Mountain remake as well.
Old 09-19-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Well his PG-13 action period didn't do much at the box office...he struck gold with The Gameplan, so it makes sense for the studios to throw some more shit on the wall to see what sticks...
Old 09-19-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Honestly, when you've spent most of your adult life grappling with oiled-up, roid-infused meat sacks in a speedo, can things get much worse?
Old 09-19-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Honestly, when you've spent most of your adult life grappling with oiled-up, roid-infused meat sacks in a speedo, can things get much worse?
Truth.

The man hasn't proven himself as a good actor or a good action star. Why not do kids flicks?
Old 09-19-08, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Oooh the old cheap shot at pro wrestling. Very creative.
But on topic I have concerns over Rock's acting future with fare such as this.
Old 09-19-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When he discourages a youngster's hope*
By telling him wrestling is fake?
Old 09-19-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ardathbey
Oooh the old cheap shot at pro entertaining. Very creative.
But on topic I have concerns over Rock's acting future with fare such as this.
Fixed.

Hey, I used to love wrestling so I understand what you're saying... but it ain't exactly glamorous.

I wish The Rock's talents were used to make him a badass action star rather than a go-to for standard Disney-esque tripe.
Old 10-02-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tooth Fairy, a.k.a. Let's Further Undermine Dwayne Johnson's Street Cred (2009)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DIR5bcpr-X8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DIR5bcpr-X8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Jesus H. Fucking Christ... Watch this one sweep the Razzies. The Rock should be ashamed. His agent needs a bullet to the brain.
Old 10-02-09, 02:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Tooth Fairy, a.k.a. Let's Further Undermine Dwayne Johnson's Street Cred (2009)

Did he ever have "street cred"?
Old 10-02-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wisconsin Tourism Federation?

Save a bullet for Billy Crystal's agent too. I kinda missed him, but this is not what I had in mind for a comeback.
Old 10-02-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

at him being a hockey player.
Old 10-02-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep ****ing that chicken, The Rock!
Old 10-02-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless I missed it in this thread. Who is Dwayne Johnson? And why does he have street cred?
Old 10-02-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Unless I missed it in this thread. Who is Dwayne Johnson? And why does he have street cred?
Dwayne Johnson "The Rock"

Spoiler:
Old 10-02-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Dwayne Johnson "The Rock"
Thanks, I read the whole thread & still couldn't figure it out, I never knew he had a real name. Now why does he have "street cred"? Surely it can't be from the attrocious films he has made.
Old 10-02-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I think he's trying to become known as Dwayne Johnson to get away from the Rock persona and be taken more seriously as an actor (then again, this masterpiece seems to go against that). He was billed as "Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson" for a time.
Old 10-02-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Thanks, I read the whole thread & still couldn't figure it out, I never knew he had a real name. Now why does he have "street cred"? Surely it can't be from the attrocious films he has made.
Even from the trailer that was posted?

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, I think he's trying to become known as Dwayne Johnson to get away from the Rock persona and be taken more seriously as an actor (then again, this masterpiece seems to go against that). He was billed as "Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson" for a time.
Does the WWE still own that name too? I imagine that plays into it as well.
Old 10-02-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I could have sworn I read somewhere that he was going back to the WWE - not sure though......and this movie looks terrible; can't believe I actually watched the entire trailer.
Old 10-02-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is actually on WWE Smackdown tonight cutting a promo, although it is a pre-tape. He's also likely going to guest host RAW at some point before WrestleMania in order to promote one of his movies, either Planet 51 or this one here. That's about the extent of his return to WWE though.

Speaking of Planet 51, I thought that trailer was pretty cute when I saw CWACOM.

The trailer for Tooth Fair is horrible, just atrocious. When I want to walk out on a trailer, that just says all I need to know about the actual full length movie.
Old 10-02-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

In all fairness, he tried to do some pretty solid action movies like The Rundown and Walking Tall (remake). Even The Scorpion King was decent (albeit a tad underwhelming). Sadly, all his action flicks either underperform or tank. On the other hand, his kiddy movies are a real hit. It sucks that it has to be that way but a guy's gotta eat.
Old 10-02-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In all fairness, he tried to do some pretty solid action movies like The Rundown and Walking Tall (remake). Even The Scorpion King was decent (albeit a tad underwhelming). Sadly, all his action flicks either underperform or tank. On the other hand, his kiddy movies are a real hit. It sucks that it has to be that way but a guy's gotta eat.
Trust me, that guy's got enough cheddar to eat for a fucking lifetime. He really could have been molded into the next big action star, but instead he went this route. And he took his "cred", balls and acting abilities with him. Shame, really.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.