Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Obtaining rights to cover a song question

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the process of compiling a collection of Christmas/holiday music to raise money for a local charity.

All the artists so far are contributing original songs, but one band wants to do a cover version of "Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi.

The production run of the CD will probably be 500-700 or so. Maybe 1000 tops. Just a low run indie project.

The band is concerned about getting the rights to record the song.

I've seen many indie/unsigned bands cover versions of Christmas songs in the past, so I honestly don't know...what would the band have to do? (I honestly can't believe all the cover versions of Christmas songs I see indie bands do are actually all done with the permission of the copyright holder, but I guess I never know.) Would they even need to worry about it? Would I have to secure the rights, or would the band have to secure the right to cover the song since they would be recording it?
Old 09-18-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know that you need permission, but you will probably have to pay a licensing fee or royalties to the copyright holder. Here's the contact information for who you need to talk to. I think Guaraldi recorded for Fantasy, so I'd start with that address:

Concord Music Group licenses music for use in a variety of media outlets including feature films, television shows, video games, movie trailers, ringtones, compilation CD's, and advertising commercials. Please contact one of the licensing staff below with your licensing request or inquiry.

John Baldi
VP of Music Publishing and Master Licensing
Concord Records
100 N. Crescent Dr. #275
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Wolfgang Frank
Director of Licensing and Business Affairs
Fantasy Records
2600 10th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
Old 09-18-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
It's astonishingly straightforward, you'll be happy to hear.

The Harry Fox Agency handles all of the licensing for this song, and it sounds like you can do pretty much everything you need through their online "SongFile" service since you're dealing with fewer than 2500 units.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/songfile.jsp

...and if all else fails, this page spells out pretty much every other alternative.
Old 09-18-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Interesting stuff.