Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"P2" HD DVD - Previously not know to exist - $27

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Only a few people knew this to exist...and apparently this site just got 5000 or so of them in stock. While the film may suck, collectors may want a copy of it.

http://www.dvaspecial.com/Welcome/P2...ror-New-HD-DVD
Old 09-17-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
But how can a movie directed by the convenient store clerk from Haute Tension suck?

The bulk pricing on that site is kind of daffy:

Classic Christmas From the Ed Sullivan Show ~ NEW DVD
1 – 4 $10.47
5 – 9 $1.25
10 + $0.89

So buy 1 for $10.47 or 10 for $8.90. Hmmm.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-17-08 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 02:00 PM
Suspended

I'm well aware the movie sucks, but as an HD DVD collector, I can't pass on this deal especially since it was not known to exisit last month.
Old 09-17-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I hear it wasn't that bad actually, some nice gore and a Panic Room-esque vibe to it.

So, in its minimal defense, Roger Eberts 3 Star Review of P2: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...711080305/1023
Old 09-17-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm interesting...I have the UK Blu-ray of this on preorder for the same price, but I forgot about possible region coding. Not sure if I want to spend $30 on an HD DVD when one of my two players already died after a couple of uses, though.

As far as the movie goes, it was watchable with a surprising amount of gore and stupendous amount of plot holes. Of course the real reason I want this is to check out Rachel Nichols and the World's Greatest Fitting Dress in hi def.
Old 09-17-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Weird. Someone offered me a trade for this for my Elizabeth: The Golden Age HD-DVD like a month ago. I thought they were joking or something so I didn't accept the offer.
Old 09-17-08, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Yeah, a member here stumbled upon a copy and had it availabe forever in the DVD Exchange forum. When I questioned him about it (since I had not known at the time that it existed and assumed he made a listing error), it was sold to another member and he posted some pictures of it over on a different forum. Another copy found its way to eBay and the seller claimed his girlfriend bought it for him at a flea market.

I ordered 5 and the owner of the site selling them claims he bought the entire run from Summitt and he will be the sole distributer of whats left of P2. So if you want a copy...I'd advise you to buy one now. It may not be a great film but it will surely be a collectors item some day.
Old 09-17-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
But how can a movie directed by the convenient store clerk from Haute Tension suck?

The bulk pricing on that site is kind of daffy:

Classic Christmas From the Ed Sullivan Show ~ NEW DVD
1 – 4 $10.47
5 – 9 $1.25
10 + $0.89

So buy 1 for $10.47 or 10 for $8.90. Hmmm.
Naturally buy 10. Cheap Stocking Stuffers are always good fun!
Old 09-17-08, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
...Of course the real reason I want this is to check out Rachel Nichols and the World's Greatest Fitting Dress in hi def.
Looking at the DVD collection in your signature line, I see that you own Irreversible. Definitely another contender for "world's greatest fitting dress", albeit standard def.
Old 09-17-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah true, but unfortunately that's probably a movie I will never revisit. P2 was enjoyable enough in a dumb way to warrant a repeat viewing and actually be able to sleep at night.
Old 09-19-08, 08:14 PM

Is it coming to or already on Blu-Ray?
Old 09-19-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by mmyersisgod
Is it coming to or already on Blu-Ray?
It's been released in a couple countries in Europe on Blu-ray, but from the sound of things, all of those releases are coded for Region B.
Old 09-19-08, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's been released in a couple countries in Europe on Blu-ray, but from the sound of things, all of those releases are coded for Region B.
That stinks.
Old 09-20-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by laserdogg
Bought a sealed copy of this on 6/14/2008 for 7.99 at a hobby / DVD / games store. Thought it was odd that I couldn't find a scrap of info about it anywhere. Nice to know it's somewhat rare. Still haven't opened it and probably won't.
Why not open it? You seriously think this is going to be worth something someday? Once it is released on BD, no one will give a shit.
Old 09-20-08, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Why not open it? You seriously think this is going to be worth something someday? Once it is released on BD, no one will give a shit.
Yep, which is exactly why The Jack Ryan Collection on HD DVD is worth pennies now since its already released on Blu-ray with special features...oh wait...
Old 09-20-08, 10:54 AM
Suspended

You might ask your question, expletive included, of the person who posted a purchase of 5 copies...at 18 bucks apiece, that ain't hay.
Yep, I ordered 5 of them for about $98 shipped. 1 to open and watch, 1 to keep sealed and 3 others to help out some of my Canadian friends who want the film and don't want to pay the $25 shipping fee if they ordered from that site. If not, on eBay they will go and from the looks of it, I'll make my $98 back in just those 3 copies no problem. Hell if someone will pay $25 for an import of Alone in the Dark or Tideland HD DVD I don't think I'll have to much problem unloading a few copies of P2 (and since 1 copy would have cost me $35 shipped, I'm happy).
Old 09-20-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yep, which is exactly why The Jack Ryan Collection on HD DVD is worth pennies now since its already released on Blu-ray with special features...oh wait...
Sorry. Just checked Ebay and the Jack Ryan collection is selling for an average of around $30 a movie. Holy cow! That's a serious amount of money!
Old 09-20-08, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Sorry. Just checked Ebay and the Jack Ryan collection is selling for an average of around $30 a movie. Holy cow! That's a serious amount of money!
Yep, and how much do the BD's sell for? Less than $20? So the HD DVD is selling for a premium over the Blu-ray then, right? Even with less special features and on a dead format Hmm, guess I was right.
Old 09-20-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know why anyone would get bent out of shape much less feel the need to post negatively about it. Even if a blu-ray of P2 is issued I doubt it'll be cheaper than the 7.99 I paid for the HD-DVD version.
Nobody is bent out of shape. My question was simply why would you sit on it and never watch the movie? You are the one that said "Still haven't opened it and probably won't." I was just asking why? I didn't realize one cuss word would get your panties in a wad.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. I always ask a friend of mine why he buys graphic novels and then never unwraps them from the plastic. Doesn't make sense to me and that is why I asked.

As far as Gizmo goes...from your posts on this forum, you obviously have a problem with never being wrong, so it is not unexpected that you would think that an HD-DVD selling for 30 bucks to a few Ebay douches proves your point. Sad.
Old 09-20-08, 04:26 PM
Suspended

As far as Gizmo goes...from your posts on this forum, you obviously have a problem with never being wrong, so it is not unexpected that you would think that an HD-DVD selling for 30 bucks to a few Ebay douches proves your point. Sad.
Ive been wrong many times, much like other posters here. Just like you were by my post.

But yes, lets call everyone on eBay douches. Let me know where you can find Jack Ryan HD DVD cheaper than $100 anywhere. But as I said before, I already proved you wrong with the HD DVD set (which is a dead format) selling for a premium over the 'superior' Blu-ray set, so that's enough for me

Can we continue to discuss P2 on HD DVD or do you need to threadcrap anymore?
Old 09-20-08, 04:28 PM
Suspended

I am completely cool with that - I've done it myself sometimes....especially video games. Don't know why anyone would get bent out of shape much less feel the need to post negatively about it. Even if a blu-ray of P2 is issued I doubt it'll be cheaper than the 7.99 I paid for the HD-DVD version.
Exactly. I don't forsee P2 coming out on Blu-ray any time in the near future here in America and while you can import it (for much more than $7.99), its Region B so it won't even play.

Good score of P2 for you. Its odd how some made it out yet very few people even knew the title existed up until a few days ago.
Old 09-20-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Must you always have the last word?

You come off as a jerk - I think you're jealous, why else do you care? Is it the debate?

floats my boat? panties in a wad? You sound like a low class minimum wage loser.
Honestly, is this necessary?
Old 09-20-08, 06:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mod Note: Personal attacks are not allowed at DVD Talk. Attack the post, not the poster.