DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The X-Files: I Want To Believe--> 12/2/08: w/ Extended and Theatrical Cuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The X-Files: I Want To Believe--> 12/2/08: w/ Extended and Theatrical Cuts

From dvdtimes.co.uk:
Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The X-Files: I Want To Believe on 2nd December 2008. Directed by series creator Chris Carter from a story he penned with executive producer Frank Spotnitz, the second X-Files film reunites stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson for a standalone story that picks up six years after the series ended.

Available in single-disc ($29.98 SRP) and three-disc Special Edition DVD with Digital Copy ($34.98 SRP) versions, features are detailed below…

Single-Disc - Includes both the Theatrical Version (104mins) and Unrated Extended Cut (108mins) of the film with the following features:

* 2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD5.1 Surround
* French and Spanish Dolby Surround
* English and Spanish subtitles
* Audio commentary by Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz
* Body Parts: Special Make-up Effects featurette
* Chris Carter: Statements on Green Production featurette
* Deleted Scenes
* Gag Reel
* Music Slideshow - “Dying 2 Live” by Xzibit
* Theatrical Trailers
* Still Galleries
o Collectibles
o Concept Art
o Storyboards
o Unit Photography

Three-Disc “The Ultimate X-Phile Edition” DVD - Includes all of the above single-disc content plus the following additional bonus features:

* Trust No One: Can The X-Files Remain A Secret? feature-length documentary
o Part 1 – “You Can Go Home Again”
o Part 2 – “Misinformation”
o Part 3 – “Don’t Give Up”
* Digital Copy of the film for portable media players

Old 09-16-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this really need a unrated cut? And digital copy...ugh.
Old 09-16-08, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
3-Disc for me. And still crossing my fingers that they gross enough money to make a third and final film wrapping up the
Spoiler:
alien invasion
mythology.
Old 09-16-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
And digital copy...ugh.
Yeah, that seems to be a common practice now. The "Ultimate X-Phile Edition" is advertised as three discs, but one of the discs is just the digital copy. I just hope people don't pick it up assuming they're getting three discs of actual material.
Old 09-16-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
No Blu-Ray?
Old 09-16-08, 05:09 PM

Does this really need a unrated cut? And digital copy...ugh.

Obviously not a fan.

There are a lot of really crappy movies that get this kind of treatment so what's the big deal about this release? You didn't like X-Files?

Fox needs to make some of their budget back on a terribly planned theatrical release (scheduled one week after DARK KNIGHT - duh!!!) so they are laying on serious extras and a high initial retail price. This film should have been released in the fall or spring - as the X-F franchise has diminished considerably over the years. They needed to build it up again, if possible, and opening it in the middle of summer right after Batman was absolutely insane.

That said, I was one of the few who saw this film in the theater (I was a fan of the tv-show for quite some years, but absolutely hated it in its last several years after it jumped the shark), but I was still curious about the latest film. It wasn't bad at all (I actually thought it was pretty intelligent and cerebral, especially compared to the usual summer fare - and it was not loaded with the usual overdone spfx crap we see all the time -like in the first XF film) and I will definitely be picking up the 3-disc set of this.

I understand others not giving a s*** about this release, but I don't give a s*** about a release for DARK KNIIGHT or any other superhero movie for that matter, so to each their own. Blech. I'm not over in the DARK KNIGHT threads crapping, so why is it necessary here?
Old 09-16-08, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
No Blu-Ray?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/539...s-blu-ray.html
Old 09-16-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
Obviously not a fan.

There are a lot of really crappy movies that get this kind of treatment so what's the big deal about this release? You didn't like X-Files?

Fox needs to make some of their budget back on a terribly planned theatrical release (scheduled one week after DARK KNIGHT - duh!!!) so they are laying on serious extras and a high initial retail price. This film should have been released in the fall or spring - as the X-F franchise has diminished considerably over the years. They needed to build it up again, if possible, and opening it in the middle of summer right after Batman was absolutely insane.

That said, I was one of the few who saw this film in the theater (I was a fan of the tv-show for quite some years, but absolutely hated it in its last several years after it jumped the shark), but I was still curious about the latest film. It wasn't bad at all (I actually thought it was pretty intelligent and cerebral, especially compared to the usual summer fare - and it was not loaded with the usual overdone spfx crap we see all the time -like in the first XF film) and I will definitely be picking up the 3-disc set of this.

I understand others not giving a s*** about this release, but I don't give a s*** about a release for DARK KNIIGHT or any other superhero movie for that matter, so to each their own. Blech. I'm not over in the DARK KNIGHT threads crapping, so why is it necessary here?
Nice rant.

I don't "hate" this movie. I love X Files{the series}. This was the most dissipointing movie for me this year, but I don't hate it. I meant that I'm not a fan of the digital copies.

You hate Dark Knight that much? It's overrated, I'll give it that, but come on...
Old 09-16-08, 05:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks!
Old 09-16-08, 05:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Curious to see the extended cut.
Old 09-16-08, 05:28 PM

This was the most dissipointing movie for me this year, but I don't hate it. I meant that I'm not a fan of the digital copies.

You hate Dark Knight that much? It's overrated, I'll give it that, but come on...
OK - so it's the digital copy that makes you irritated. I actually agree with you as digital copies are absolutely useless to me and I will never use them. So that's a decent argument.

As far as DARK KNIGHT goes, it may be the best superhero movie ever made, but I just don't care about comic book movies anymore, and that's saying it politely. It's just a preference thing.
Old 09-16-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I will get it. I'm a fan of the show and characters, even though the movie was somewhat disappointing. Looks like there is a nice assortment of bonus material.
Old 09-16-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to give it a shot. I like the first film and didn't catch this in theaters.
Old 09-16-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by benh911
3-Disc for me. And still crossing my fingers that they gross enough money to make a third and final film wrapping up the
Spoiler:
alien invasion
mythology.
It bombed in the US, but it made $60 million worldwide, which isn't too shabby considering it didn't have a huge budget. So who knows?
Old 09-16-08, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
I want to give it a shot. I like the first film and didn't catch this in theaters.
Don't go in expecting more of the same. Don't get me wrong in my eyes this was a very good movie, but it relays heavily how much you care about the two core characters. But it is definitely more "Silence of the Lambs" than "Independence Day"
Old 09-16-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
OK - so it's the digital copy that makes you irritated. I actually agree with you as digital copies are absolutely useless to me and I will never use them. So that's a decent argument.

As far as DARK KNIGHT goes, it may be the best superhero movie ever made, but I just don't care about comic book movies anymore, and that's saying it politely. It's just a preference thing.
Trust me, TDK isn't even in my top 5.
Old 09-16-08, 06:49 PM

AWESOME! If I ever buy it I am gonna get the 3 disc Ultimate X-Phile Edition!
Old 09-16-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After I stepped out of the theater of this one, I was convinced that I wasn't going to get this DVD. I am a huge X-Files fan, and this movie just plain sucked. Such a huge disappointment. I'm still on the edge about getting this after the sour taste in my mouth.

It may one of the few titles I will wait for the reviews to see if the extended cut significantly adds to the movie. I just noticed it is 4 minutes longer, that would be tough to add enough to add any significant content to the movie.

P.S. "Digital Copies" should NOT count as one of the discs of the release. It should be a 2-disc with a digital copy, not a 3-disc. (slapping forehead thinking about digital copies)
Old 09-16-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
3 disc for me.
Old 09-17-08, 09:33 AM

Not a very good movie, but it will play better on video than in the theaters. Definitely worth a look for X-Files fans who missed it in the theater.

Don't hold your breath for a sequel -- $60 mil worldwide is nothing, even with the small budget. Remember, theaters get a chunk of that and Fox had to pay for prints & advertising.

Is the first film OOP on DVD? I never picked it up when it was in the bargain bins, and now I wish I had.
Old 09-17-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
3-disc for me. Even though I wasn't so hot on this when I saw it, as a true X-Files fan I need to have the best edition possible.
Old 09-17-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do they call it a 3-disc set if the 3rd disc is the stupid digital copy? Who uses that crap? What a waste of money. I wish they'd stop that.
Old 09-17-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Curious to see the extended cut.
I'm assuming it's just a few minutes where:

Spoiler:
the psychic meets with the young boy Dana is treating at the hospital...Scully, of course, thinks he's trying to molest the child

That scene was in the novelization, but not in the theatrical release.
Old 09-17-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
It bombed in the US, but it made $60 million worldwide, which isn't too shabby considering it didn't have a huge budget. So who knows?
Where are you getting your info from?

It bombed in the US: $21 million
It bombed overseas: $21 million

It's total worldwide gross is $42 million, NOT $60 million.

It cost $30 million to make, so if you include advert costs, it's just barely made it's money back so far.
Old 09-17-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
Why do they call it a 3-disc set if the 3rd disc is the stupid digital copy? Who uses that crap? What a waste of money. I wish they'd stop that.
It's very misleading - a two-disc edition with a third disc that probably most people don't give a rat's ass about owning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.