Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coldplay's Chris Martin gives credit where credit is due...TRAVIS!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wish Travis would get more airplay and attention here in the States. IMHO, they're the best band in the UK right now, and I can't wait for the new album in a couple of weeks. Here's the link to what Chris Martin had to say about Travis and the text from the link is below, for those who don't want to click on it.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...ldplay_1019613

CHRIS MARTIN has praised Scottish rockers TRAVIS for having such a big influence on young musicians, crediting the Scottish band for the creation of Martin's own group, COLDPLAY. Appearing as a guest presenter on the UK's Radio 1 alongside SHAUN OF THE DEAD actor SIMON PEGG last night (19JAN07), Martin unveiled Travis' new song, BIG CHAIR, to the delight of fans across the country. Martin gushed, "We're gonna finish with an incredible exclusive, we're very privileged to play it, it's a new song by the band Travis, the band that invented my band and lots of others." But while lead singer of Travis, FRAN HEALY, was delighted at the song's debut, the airing was a little earlier than expected. He says, "I thought it was going to get played (on Saturday) (20JAN07). I checked the Radio 1 website a few days ago and I'm sure it said Chris was on (Saturday) but what a nice surprise. "Thanks Chris, I must return the favour one day!"

Fran and the boys are just the classiest guys...
Old 09-16-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Martin's best quality is his self deprecation. He's never claimed that Coldplay is an original band and he's never claimed they are a great band (right on both counts). He even says he has trouble living with the fact that he's married to Brad Pitt's ex-girlfriend.
Old 09-16-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Another Travis alubm? I thought the last one came out only a year ago. There had a large gap between that one and the previous album. I enjoyed the last one much more than previous entry. I thought it got back to some of their earlier material/sound.
Old 09-16-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Martin's best quality is his self deprecation. He's never claimed that Coldplay is an original band and he's never claimed they are a great band (right on both counts). He even says he has trouble living with the fact that he's married to Brad Pitt's ex-girlfriend.
Really? It seems like every article I have read with him, he's talking about how his band should be and what they need to do to be the biggest band in the world. That doesn't seem very self-deprecating to me.
Old 09-16-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Yeah, I absolutely love Travis, but I have to say that their songwriting has steadily dipped after their first 3 albums. But they're phenomenal live and I'm still looking forward to their new album.
Old 09-16-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I love Travis....for The Man Who & The Invisible band. 2 of the best albums of the decade IMO. However, 12 Memories was terrible and The Boy With No Name (while a step in the right direction) was half filler. The new album (An Ode To J.Smith) is not much better.
Old 09-16-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Also, that article is over a year old.
Old 09-16-08, 02:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
I love Travis....for The Man Who & The Invisible band. 2 of the best albums of the decade IMO. However, 12 Memories was terrible and The Boy With No Name (while a step in the right direction) was half filler. The new album (An Ode To J.Smith) is not much better.
ooooh... that's sucky to hear.

rent: 'Son of Rambow' the band is in a 'blink and you'll miss 'em' shot.
Old 09-16-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Actually, the name is Roy.
Old 09-16-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, that article is over a year old.
Yeah, the "(20JAN07)" kind of threw me off.
Old 09-16-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
The new album (An Ode To J.Smith) is not much better.
The J.Smith EP showed up on eMusic this past week. "Sarah" is okay, but the first two tracks are painful.
Old 09-17-08, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And which band helped Travis get record label attention? Trash Can Sinatras, a band better than Travis (and I think Travis is damn fine).
Old 09-17-08, 02:26 PM
Banned

Travis is a fantastic band. I like them better than Coldplay or U2. also didnt know they had a new album coming out. Good to hear.
Old 09-17-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I LOVE the last Travis album...I also have the 'best of' and didn't find it as appealing as their latest. Here's hoping the new album is good as well.
Old 09-17-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
And which band helped Travis get record label attention? Trash Can Sinatras, a band better than Travis (and I think Travis is damn fine).