Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Schrader's Exorcism- documentary

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks interesting, especially for those who followed the evolution of this unique situation.

http://www.schradersx.com/
Old 09-14-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
Looks good. I'm fascinated by the whole Exorcist 4 story, this should be very interesting. Although I must admit I'm in the minority and prefered Renny Harlin's version better.
Old 09-14-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yeah, I want to check this out. Looks like it could be just as interesting (maybe more so) as Lost in La Mancha.
Old 09-14-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks extremely interesting. I just ordered a copy from the site.
Old 09-14-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love that Stellan Skarsgård soundbite.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Although I must admit I'm in the minority and prefered Renny Harlin's version better.
"Your mother sucks cocks in Hell!"
Old 09-14-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Didn't watch the Renny Harlin version.

Saw Dominion. Excellent movie. The 'unfinished' effects were a little jarring. But it didn't bother me too much. It's a completely acceptable, competent Exorcist film. Probably my favorite behind the original (though the third was very enjoyable). The original is a classic, but a bit dated (five-or-so years before I was born and I just saw it a few years ago). I'd actually prefer to sit down and watch Dominion.

And, to be fair, Dominion did get relatively poor reviews. While *I* really like it, I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece, trashed by a studio.

I wonder what Morgan Creek was expecting. Like, did they ever hear of Paul Schrader? Did they see his Bob Crane picture? Or did he 'talk his way' into the job - making promises that he didn't keep? I think I read somewhere that the execs actually never read the script; don't know if it was heresay or what.
Old 09-14-08, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
"Your mother sucks cocks in Hell!"
Can't say I'm proud of it. I always support a director's vision and oppose producer/studio interference. But in this case I just found Harlin's version scarier.

Of course I'm not sure how "finished" Schrader's version really was so if he had been able to complete his film it may have been the better version.

Either way I enjoyed them both and appreciate the fact that both versions have been made available.

And yes, I think Skarsgård's remarks were dead on.
Old 09-15-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And i found out a few nights ago that one of my favorite bands did a majority of the score for Dominion.
Old 09-15-08, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Angelo Badalamenti and Trevor Rabin are the credited composers but
Dog Fashion Disco wrote and performed the ending score/song "March of Satan".
Old 09-15-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if it's because it's probably not the definitve cut, but Schrader's Dominion was a terrible movie. I thought "The Beginning" was a watchable, but very C-grade reduction of the franchise. The original is obviously a classic, and the third movie is a a very creepy mystery thriller (which clearly inspired "Fallen"), and the fourth one was, while not at all good, passable.

I wanted to like Shrader's version more, because it would be more psychological, and not rely on scare tactics, but not only was it not psychological, it wasn't scary, either. It was slow, boring, and completely uneventful.

The documentary should be interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shrader looks like an idiot for defending a movie that really wasn't all that good.
Old 09-15-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"Dominion" was rather slow and not terribly exciting. But it was a masterpiece compared to that Renny Harlin piece of shit. Shame on Morgan Creek for not allowing Schrader to fix or "punch up" his version.
Old 09-15-08, 04:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Definitely want to check this out.
Old 09-17-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My copy arrived with today's mail. I'm hoping to watch it tonight.
Old 09-18-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let us know how it is....what kind of case did it come in?
Old 09-18-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it last night. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for. It was interesting and all but it didn't get into it quite as much as I would have liked. Plus, the feature itself is roughly 47 minutes, minus credits. There are bonus materials featured on the disc but I haven't gotten to those just yet. The disc comes in a standard keepcase.
Old 09-18-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if I'd consider Schrader a "master" when it comes to directing. Dominion was slightly better than Harlin's Beginning but its really not that great of a film overall. I can see why the studio was worried when he turned in the final cut. If only they had given over the reigns to a more competent director we could have had one more good Exorcist film.
Old 03-16-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Schrader's Exorcism- documentary

Well when the smoke cleared, Schrader delivered the better movie, by far. Dominion is sublime, just not for everybody. The Beginning is dreck.

The production history of these two films is one for the ages though. I still haven't caught up with that 47 minute documentary Schrader's Exorcism.
Old 03-16-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Mods should change your name to BumpCutz
Old 03-16-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I like to call him HumpButtz.
Old 03-17-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I don't know if I'd consider Schrader a "master" when it comes to directing. Dominion was slightly better than Harlin's Beginning but its really not that great of a film overall. I can see why the studio was worried when he turned in the final cut. If only they had given over the reigns to a more competent director we could have had one more good Exorcist film.
Nobody should base their opinion of Schrader on his for-hire Exorcist prequel.... He has a really imperfect filmography, yes (LIGHT OF DAY, anyone?), but he's been masterful at times, absolutely, and not just as a writer (though TAXI DRIVER and RAGING BULL would make anyone a legend for the writing alone): MISHIMA and AFFLICTION are very, very fine films (I'd probably include AUTO FOCUS in there, too) that will stand the test of time. He knows cinema backwards and forwards (before he ever wrote a screenplay, he published a book, TRANSCENDENTAL STYLE IN FILM: OZU, BRESSON, DREYER), so I'm always interested but am always disappointed when he follows his trend-chasing, of-the-moment impulses (AMERICAN GIGOLO, and this new Lohan thing he's done sounds like the same sort of deal) when it seems like he really, really should know better and is capable of much stronger and deeper stuff.
Old 03-17-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Old 03-17-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I like to call him HumpButtz.

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Old 03-17-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I saw Exorcist 4 in theaters and thought it was scary enough, not like the original or even the third but there was a couple times when I jumped. Would never want to own it on DVD though, so I was excited to hear about Exorcist: Dominion, and after Time Magazine said it was a much more artistic interpretation of the script I thought I was going to be blown away. I guess the dream sequence with a figure unwrapping bandages from his face with a ticking clock in the background is artistic, it wasn't anything crazy like The Ring's video tape.

I wasn't scared at all, and the only part I liked was when they saw the mural of Lucifer inside the church, an interesting musical score is played in the background, and the father talks about how Satan was called the "bringer of light."

Everything else was not scary and lacked the atmosphere of the director's other films like American Gigolo. As much as I like the Director I definitely sympathize with the studio on this one.
Old 03-17-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Well when the smoke cleared, Schrader delivered the better movie, by far.
It took 4 1/2 years for the smoke to clear?!
Old 03-18-13, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It took 4 1/2 years for the smoke to clear?!
Sure did, thanks to studio interference, but the Schrader film is far more interesting than Harlins. Neither movie was particularly "scary", but Dominion is an interesting counterpoint to the original film. I especially like the reverse transformation of the Cheche character near the end of this film, a refreshing take on the whole mythology. It's a shame this didn't find it's audience, and was sullied by the hurried release of Harlin's fixed up "scarefest" (which resulted in a resounding thud). Schrader's was a noble failure if nothing else, but at least he told his story, and despite all it's flaws and it's sense of spiritual agony it remains a powerful piece of filmmaking and a worthy entry into the series.

Still, through all the sequels and prequels...The Exorcist remains an impossible act to follow.