Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray Custom Cover Art

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray Custom Cover Art

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Blu-ray Custom Cover Art

We've had previous threads for HD DVD custom covers, but I couldn't find one that was Blu-ray specific.

So, here's my attempt to kick it off:

Old 09-12-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say that's a great start. I'll be printing this off.

Is this for a standard case with placement for two discs? I only ask because I see that it's both Volume 1 and 2.

Last edited by Moopher; 09-12-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! I've got a Kill Bill poster I drew a bunch of years ago and have long considered turning it into a cover. But I'm a lazy, lazy man . . .

Anyway, here are links to some of my past covers:

There Will Be Blood

Pan's Labyrinth

Star Wars (all six)

Here are the thumbnails for Pan's Labyrinth and the Star Wars films:

Oh, and while I'm eating up all of your bandwidths, here's the Kill Bill poster:

Last edited by applesandrice; 12-24-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 04:45 PM

Anyone have a Photoshop Blu-ray template they could upload?
Old 12-23-08, 04:36 PM

I got templates for different companies but can't seem to upload any.
If you're after a template of a particular company, let me know and I'll shoot you a mail.
Old 12-23-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

applesandrice, that is a awesome Kill Bill cover. Cartoony yet detailed...I likey. Your links don't work to pan's labyrinth and starwars though.
Old 12-24-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
applesandrice, that is a awesome Kill Bill cover. Cartoony yet detailed...I likey. Your links don't work to pan's labyrinth and starwars though.
Thanks! One of these days I may actually do something with it.

Fixed the links -- thanks for letting me know they didn't work. Added some thumbnails, too.
Old 12-24-08, 02:33 PM

Really like the Star Wars covers!
Old 12-24-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the star wars covers as well as the Pan's Labyrinth. Mignola is just a master when it comes to Illustration. I have some of the first artwork he did for Marvel Comics, He looked like a Art Adams clone. In case you don't know who Art Adams is, he is one the first to introduce anime and modern animation style illustration to comics.
My only complaint about the Star Wars covers is that A New Hope was not on the cover. I understand the significance of the original title as that's how I saw it, grew up with it, and still sometimes refer to it as. I just think in the context of how it works, especially if you are using the prequels it should say A New Hope. Now if you are one of the millions that say there are no prequels, than it works...
Old 12-24-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
I like the star wars covers as well as the Pan's Labyrinth. Mignola is just a master when it comes to Illustration. I have some of the first artwork he did for Marvel Comics, He looked like a Art Adams clone. In case you don't know who Art Adams is, he is one the first to introduce anime and modern animation style illustration to comics.
My only complaint about the Star Wars covers is that A New Hope was not on the cover. I understand the significance of the original title as that's how I saw it, grew up with it, and still sometimes refer to it as. I just think in the context of how it works, especially if you are using the prequels it should say A New Hope. Now if you are one of the millions that say there are no prequels, than it works...
Yeah, I dig both Art Adams and Mignola. I got to show my portfolio to Art Adams a long time ago -- it was a great experience.

I know what you mean about "Episode IV", and I don't really have that big a problem with the prequels. I just don't like the title "A New Hope". Too generic, and too not "Star Wars".
Old 01-03-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Any worthwhile Planet of the Apes covers? Not a fan of the packaging Fox used.
Old 01-05-09, 12:33 PM

Re: Blu-ray Custom Cover Art

I wish Paramount would do a booklet case for TWBB with the poster art used by applesandrice.
Old 01-05-09, 05:06 PM

Whats the point of the Star Wars covers?
Old 01-05-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
Whats the point of the Star Wars covers?
I think some people recorded Star Wars off an HD channel and burned it to BD.
Old 01-05-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a few that I've made...

Need to convert my Bond set to Blu-Ray versions...

Old 01-05-09, 06:35 PM
Banned

I'll paypal someone some money or give some blu-rays to make me some covers for all 4 discs in The Omen Collection. The toilet paper box they come in is the worst ever.
Old 01-05-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It is amazing that amateurs can consistently beat the major studios when producing cover art and packaging. Most of these look superior to the official releases. Does the graphic design department at these studios not pay much or are they hiring chimps with minimal photoshop skills to do their covers?
Old 01-05-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It is amazing that amateurs can consistently beat the major studios when producing cover art and packaging. Most of these look superior to the official releases. Does the graphic design department at these studios not pay much or are they hiring chimps with minimal photoshop skills to do their covers?

One of my "custom coverart friends" actually was hired to make covers for a studio. From what he says you basically have no creative freedom, very limited time and no choice as to what project you get to work on. It's pretty much a bunch of talented people working an assembly line with clipart.
Old 01-05-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
One of my "custom coverart friends" actually was hired to make covers for a studio.
He posts here.
Old 01-05-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think it's because they're trying to snare in people unfamiliar with the film. They figure the fans will buy it anyway, so they try to get the attention of those who don't know about it. That's why they use big heads a lot - it lets you know at a glance which actors are in it. The stars are the most important factor for some people when it comes to picking out a movie.

The minimalist style doesn't tell you what the film is actually about. Some people won't bother to turn it over and read the synopsis, so it has to get their attention right away.
Old 01-05-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DarthVong
One of my "custom coverart friends" actually was hired to make covers for a studio. From what he says you basically have no creative freedom, very limited time and no choice as to what project you get to work on. It's pretty much a bunch of talented people working an assembly line with clipart.
DarthVong -- great covers! I especially like the "Dr. No" and the "Samhain Collection" version of "Halloween". Very nice.
Old 01-06-09, 02:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
The minimalist style doesn't tell you what the film is actually about. Some people won't bother to turn it over and read the synopsis, so it has to get their attention right away.
unfortunately, you are right. In fact, most people won't bother with a cover that doesn't blatantly show the lead actors on the cover (or lead characters in an animated feature). I'm the complete opposite. All of the standard studio covers actually discourage me from blind-buying discs. 30 Days of Night was a good example. I had absolutely no intention of ever seeing that film... then I saw a crapload of custom covers available, and every single one of them made me rush out and buy the movie on release day (which I actually enjoyed for what it was).

edit: If anyone wants to do a Transsiberian cover, please do! Or, if anyone has some really good images to use, I may end up throwing a cover together, but currently, I can't find anything that I love.
Old 01-06-09, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Darthvong... I need those covers!!!
Old 01-07-09, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Abe.
Darthvong... I need those covers!!!
Yeah, where can we download?
Old 01-25-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Yeah, where can we download?
All of my covers are posted at:

http://www.customaniacs.org/forum/fo...play.php?f=508

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.