Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent Season 3 Anyone Watching?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year, this forum was blowing up with posts about AGT.

Now they're down to the top 10, and I don't remember a thread posted unless it was one that faded away right away...

I missed a couple of shows here and there, caught lots of the performances on NBC.com or youtube, but my thoughts on the top 10:

--The Wright Kids Eh, they are ok. Don't think they'll go much farther though.

-- Neal E. Boyd He's ok, but not great.

-- Queen Emily She's talented, but I don't know, not as good as she was at the beginning.

-- Paul Salos He's good. One of two acts remaining in the top 10 that were on last year's show The Next Best Thing.

-- Jessica Price Good, not great.

-- Kaitlyn Maher There was a comment on Youtube, no one wants to kick her out, they don't want to make her cry on live TV. She's cute, polite, got charm, but a four year old has no business headlining in Vegas.

-- Donald Braswell He has a big voice. He doesn't sing stuff I particularly like, but oh well. I understand why he was originally eliminated, but he's stepped it up since being brought back.

-- Nuttin But Stringz These guys are have a lot of credits already to their names. I thought the contestants were supposed to be somewhat amateur?

-- Eli Mattson Great talent, maybe too simple though.

-- Joseph Hall The other contestant who was on last year's celebrity impersonator contest. He came in second, to another Elvis impersonator. He also won 3rd prize in another Elvis contest (at least that's what the email I got from Elvis.com yesterday said)

I'd say I pretty much agree with all the top 10, maybe Dorae Saunders should have made it.

I think the next elimination is down to 8, without seeing their performances, I'd eliminate Jessica Price, and the Wright Kids.
Old 09-12-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Eli Mattson and Nuttin But Stringz are the favorites for me.
Old 09-12-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The baton boy should have made it over Elvis last nite.
Old 09-14-08, 11:19 AM

I did think it was pretty damn funny when sharon called him "Baton Boy". In his very first appearance, he went on and on about how he was made fun of growing up. And one of the names his tormentors used was "Baton Boy". Awesome.
Old 09-14-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a little of the first or second season. None of these people have much of any real talent. And Piers is a jackass. Not interested any more.
Old 09-15-08, 11:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It just got so much less interesting now that 9/10 of the remaining acts are based around singing. The thing I like about this show is the variety aspect, but unfortunately the dance groups were all pretty generic... even the better ones probably wouldn't make it far in America's Best Dance Crew. The magician/danger acts all blew it in the competition rounds with bland or just plain unappealing performances. That said, I'm annoyed they got rid of Baton Boy over an Elvis impersonator who hasn't been any good since his audition (his 'Suspicious Minds' was completely average, just because he did a few dance moves at the end and got screams from a few girls doesn't mean he is 'back').

My problem with all the singers is that I don't think any of them have anything truly unique. Eli is probably the best, but he's not really much better than a middle of the pack finalist on Idol. The opera guys seem talented, but what do I know? I'm no opera expert, and for all I know the opera experts think they are mediocre. Queen Emily is terribly overrated. She's a good soul singer but come on, a superstar? There are thousands of equally talented women out there who sing just as well working as backup singers.

And Kaitlyn, sure she's adorable, but come on. It would be borderline cruel to make her perform an hour long Vegas show. She just does not look happy on stage anymore, not like she did in the beginning.
Old 09-16-08, 12:07 PM

There's just something about Eli that is gripping when he performs. Could be the unique quality of his voice. I do like how he makes the song his own - Not too many guys would attempt an Alicia Keys song.
Old 09-16-08, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
There's just something about Eli that is gripping when he performs. Could be the unique quality of his voice. I do like how he makes the song his own - Not too many guys would attempt an Alicia Keys song.
I agree. He has got to be considered the favorite at this point (though, Nuttin' but Stringz is a close second, IMO).

For me, what he has is what mainstream music needs right now. A guy with a piano, a voice and some soul. A young Billy Joel... Though until we see if this kid can write a song, I'll keep that comparison to myself... It's not unlike that kid from American Idol last year that didn't make it to the top 12. He had It (whatever It is...), but lacked the maturity and experience to use it right. This Eli kid has that (from what we've seen anyways).

I'm pulling for him...
Old 09-16-08, 01:52 PM

yep, as I said earlier in the thread, those are easily my top favorites (Eli and Nutting but Stringz). They're the only ones that truly grab my attention for their entire performance.
Old 09-16-08, 02:23 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Is the guy that impersonated a pińata still in the competition?

That's all I remember from the ep I watched.
Old 09-16-08, 03:31 PM

no, he was out after that episode.
Old 10-01-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FYI - Finale is on tonight.
Old 10-01-08, 02:35 PM

Forgot to comment after last week.

As much as I like Eli (and would buy a CD of his RIGHT NOW), this has got to be Nuttin But Stringz. And typing that out, that's a really horrible name.

Anyway, the other singers aren't as good as Eli, and his entertainment value is not as high as NBS.
Old 10-01-08, 08:07 PM

Are they opening the finalé show with a song from American Idol?

This is just too much.

I'm gonna go watch "Knight Rider" on Hulu.
Old 10-03-08, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neal E. Boyd? Really? I love the guy and all, and I'm always rooting for the fat guy in just about any contest, but come on...

Eli pretty much gave it away with his less than awesome final performance, but it really should have gone to Nuttin but Stringz. They were awesome. I'll definitely pick up any cd that Eli puts out though... He's a talent for sure.
Old 10-03-08, 04:49 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Eli was hurt by the fact he didn't get the same emotional editing buildup as Neil did throughout the show. Of the final three, Eli has the best shot as a recording artist, while Nuttin But Stringz have the best shot at being a Vegas-type performance act. Neil is talented, but I'm not sure where he fits in, entertainment career-wise.
Old 10-04-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
Neil is talented, but I'm not sure where he fits in, entertainment career-wise.
The next season of The Biggest Loser?

[ducks]
Old 10-04-08, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
The next season of The Biggest Loser?

[ducks]
Speaking of which... have they ever had a celebrity version of that show (that wasn't on VH1)?

Old 10-05-08, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how much money do they have to give the bottom 5 to come back?

piers looked like he was going to kill when the "best of the worst" came on...

lotta booing when NBS came in third...

they kept saying Eli does original stuff, maybe he should have done one or two.