Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Pacific > Anyone Experiencing Technical / Postal Problems?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested to hear from others about their recent experiences with DVD Pacific, a retailer popular with many using the internet to order - particularly from outside the USA.

I've been a customer for more than a few years, and have seen them try to jiggle their postal service provider around a few times only to reverse their decision when (although marginally cheaper for us / them) things don't work as smoothly as they were probably told they would : slower delivery times, for example, have happened when the providers been switched.

Recently, I've had an invoice split down without it being processed with permission to do so; you're automatically processed as "hold till complete" rather than "ship as available". This means that I'm buying discs in pairs or groups to save on postal costs, because the additional item is a lot less than shipping everything the moment it randomly comes into stock.

They've very recently introduced an automated packaging system - things now arrive in cardboard wrapping rather than jiffy bags - and things seem to have gone slightly bad... I had a shipping notice for one disc from an invoice containing two discs (the invoice split down without permission) then both discs from the original invoice turn up in separate packages on the same day. And then, a few days later, a duplicate copy (with receipt) for one of the two discs in the original invoice.

Trying hard to get them to be direct about answering my worries, because my concerns over the lack of signs they're certain what's going on or that they're ready to switch the systems back around make me wonder if a great retailer hasn't suddenly developed a fault they're not going to be able to fix.
If you look at the estimated checkout costs, and compare it to what I ended up paying (despite compensating for estimates etc) I've paid more - and can't clearly identify any supposed compensation for it within my account details - than I should have, and I can't yet be 100% certain they've not charged me twice for the duplicate item either.

I mean, their postal costs are hardly what I'd call clearly relatable to what I'd pay for similar items via ebay that are sent by USPS, but the ability to package things together can (with a little planning, and co-operation) work out just as well... if they get it right.

Anyone else experienced this processing problem recently?

It's important, I think, because good, reasonably priced retailers seem thin on the ground for us non-USA folk. Yes, I know of others, but the disc prices are service have usually been unbeatable at DVD Pacific... until now?
Old 09-09-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used the site only a handful of times and without any drama, but I recently placed an order for 3 DVDs with a minor quirk. I checked to have them "hold until complete" as opposed to "ship when available" and they went against my request and shipped 2 in advance as one was backordered. It's been about two weeks now and I haven't received any updates on the backordered item, which isn't totally of concern.

But what is of concern relates to what I observed when I went to check on my order status. They split the order off into two seperate invoices and it appears that I will eventually be charged twice for shipping as there's an indivual charge listed on each invoice. I'm not worried about paying an extra $3 for shipping, but it's the premise that is little annoying.

I intend to email them within the week to see what they say about this and to generally inquire about the status of the third disc. I'll just go elsewhere for that. I'll post up any weird observations.

Though the other 2 DVDs arrived quickly and were packaged well.

By the way, this thread will probably be moved to the store forum ....
Old 09-09-08, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I've used the site only a handful of times and without any drama, but I recently placed an order for 3 DVDs with a minor quirk. I checked to have them "hold until complete" as opposed to "ship when available" and they went against my request and shipped 2 in advance as one was backordered.
I was told it was only a minor issue, few were going to experience it. I'm interested to hear at least someone quickly showing it's happened to them. Worried about the tangle and the loss of a good site that suddenly doesn't seem so quick and clear to solve issues as it once seemed to be.

Thread can be moved, of course. As with all forums, the heavier the split-down of topics, the more likely I and others seem to be to stick to a few areas though.
Old 09-09-08, 04:37 PM

DVD Pacific have introduced a new shipping system for international customers.you are now charged per order not disc and they ship items as they come into stock at no extra cost rather than wait for everything to ship together.can't see what the problem is,it's a better system for us in the uk!
Old 09-09-08, 06:52 PM
Cool New Member

i have been ordering from Pacific for more than 5 years and over 500 discs. Not once have I had any problems with them.

Terrific provider, terrific customer service, and very fast, overseas delivery,

No complaints at all!!
Old 09-10-08, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by tanglung
DVD Pacific have introduced a new shipping system for international customers.you are now charged per order not disc and they ship items as they come into stock at no extra cost rather than wait for everything to ship together.can't see what the problem is,it's a better system for us in the uk!
i don't get that impression at all. they've introduced a new shipping method, but they're experiencing unplanned technical issues that i'm wondering how many people they might have affected.

and it's far from at no extra cost. two dvds totals £15, usual additional costs for postage bring it to £20, and this time around, with the split and postal charges on each one, it's more like £24. that's almost £10 to post 2 DVDs.
Old 09-10-08, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
**cough** Store Forum **cough**

-beebs
Old 09-10-08, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by logboy
i don't get that impression at all. they've introduced a new shipping method, but they're experiencing unplanned technical issues that i'm wondering how many people they might have affected.

and it's far from at no extra cost. two dvds totals £15, usual additional costs for postage bring it to £20, and this time around, with the split and postal charges on each one, it's more like £24. that's almost £10 to post 2 DVDs.
from pacific themselves:

As you may be aware we initiated FREE SHIPPING for US customers but we also have looked at ways to provide a better deal for our international customers too when it comes to shipping.
A couple of important things for you to note is that we have done away with an item charge on all titles now. So shipping charges for any titles are the same regardless of weight or number of discs included within the release. Box sets, double disc sets etc will now ship at the same charge as a regular DVD.

Also we now have a single base shipping fee for any individual order. What this means is that you can order several titles, be it in stock, pre order or back order titles and you only pay the base fee once. We will then ship any back ordered titles or pre releases at no extra charge when they come into stock. All in stock items will ship immediately and the remainder will ship when stock becomes available with no further costs. This also means we have done away with the "hold till complete function" as is no longer necessary given the new way we deal with all orders as above.

I am sure you can see the benefits in these changes and trust you take advantage of them.

Happy Shopping!
Old 09-11-08, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tanglung
from pacific themselves:

As you may be aware we initiated FREE SHIPPING for US customers but we also have looked at ways to provide a better deal for our international customers too when it comes to shipping.
A couple of important things for you to note is that we have done away with an item charge on all titles now. So shipping charges for any titles are the same regardless of weight or number of discs included within the release. Box sets, double disc sets etc will now ship at the same charge as a regular DVD.

Also we now have a single base shipping fee for any individual order. What this means is that you can order several titles, be it in stock, pre order or back order titles and you only pay the base fee once. We will then ship any back ordered titles or pre releases at no extra charge when they come into stock. All in stock items will ship immediately and the remainder will ship when stock becomes available with no further costs. This also means we have done away with the "hold till complete function" as is no longer necessary given the new way we deal with all orders as above.

I am sure you can see the benefits in these changes and trust you take advantage of them.

Happy Shopping!
the idea of encouraging multiple items in an order for those in the UK doesn't make sense. sure, process loads at once in the hope many items are covered by the new policy, but the random nature of when things ship means you could inadvertently walk straight into customs charges.