Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : idiot buying a cell phone on ebay question.

Rypro 525
09-08-08, 08:25 PM
Ok, i lost my cell phone in a mosh pit at a concert. a friend told me about checking out ebay, i found a bunch of really cheap phones. The guy at the AT&T store said that the cheapest phone there was 150. The phones that are on ebay are as low as 30 bucks. I can buy a phone from ebay, and then take it to the AT&T store and put my original phone number in it.

Possible?

JoeyOhhhh
09-08-08, 08:28 PM
Not quite. You're still going to have to purchase a SIM card from AT&T and have your phone number transferred to it.

Rypro 525
09-08-08, 08:44 PM
but a sim card won't cost 100 bucks right?

JoeyOhhhh
09-08-08, 08:53 PM
No, I think they are $30, give or take. You might also be able to purchase a pre-paid AT&T phone and use it with the new SIM card. You can also buy SIM cards from Best Buy and they can do it for you (atleast they used to when I worked there).

tbone
09-08-08, 08:54 PM
I got a new sim card at an ATT store a couple of years ago when mine was fried and was charged nothing.

Cardsfan111
09-08-08, 08:54 PM
I had a similar experience but my phone was through Verizon. Bought one on ebay and brought it in - very little expense to transfer everything over.

Rypro 525
09-08-08, 09:00 PM
No, I think they are $30, give or take. You might also be able to purchase a pre-paid AT&T phone and use it with the new SIM card. You can also buy SIM cards from Best Buy and they can do it for you (atleast they used to when I worked there).

the only thing with that, is that i already have an at&t plan. Or can i buy a prepaid phone, and with installing a sim card with my old number on it, i wouldn't have to buy minutes or any of that crap.

JoeyOhhhh
09-08-08, 09:08 PM
Or can i buy a prepaid phone, and with installing a sim card with my old number on it, i wouldn't have to buy minutes or any of that crap.

Correct.

Rypro 525
09-08-08, 09:15 PM
Correct.

fuckin a. found a 10 dollar phone at office depot that was an att phone. so, maybe 40 dollars in the hole overall, better then payin over 150 or 200 for a phone.

atari2600
09-09-08, 11:51 AM
what about buying a sprint phone on ebay? they dont have sim cards so will any sprint phone work or do i need to look for specific things?

C-Mart
09-09-08, 11:58 AM
what about buying a sprint phone on ebay? they dont have sim cards so will any sprint phone work or do i need to look for specific things?

You just have to be sure that the phone's code isn't locked through the company as stolen. We have Verizon and don't use SIM cards. I noticed when looking at eBay that one of the points every seller made was that the ID number on the phone was "available" meaning that whoever used the phone before had transfered to another phone.

But, if the phone was reported stolen then you won't be able to activate it with your number because the ID will have been locked.

JaxComet
09-09-08, 02:14 PM
You can usually just pick up last year's "hot" model for $30 or less.

atari2600
09-11-08, 01:09 PM
You just have to be sure that the phone's code isn't locked through the company as stolen. We have Verizon and don't use SIM cards. I noticed when looking at eBay that one of the points every seller made was that the ID number on the phone was "available" meaning that whoever used the phone before had transfered to another phone.

But, if the phone was reported stolen then you won't be able to activate it with your number because the ID will have been locked.

how do you check if its stolen or not?

rennervision
09-11-08, 02:36 PM
You may also want to confirm the seller is a non-smoker. My current cellphone smells like smoke every time I open it.