Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Crazy rumor of the day: Will Smith to play Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-08-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read it up here at http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/08...ptain-america/ and http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38249

That's the equivalent of Paul Bettany being cast as Black Panther or Luke Cage:

Will Smith is a great actor, but come on Hollywood!

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-08-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, crazy. My vote is for Carrot Top.
Old 09-08-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The source was one of the actors in miracle at st anna. He said he heard will was offered the role. Not very reliable imo.
Old 09-08-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't you heard? The ASTOUNDING new movie character only lives in the harddrives of computers.
Old 09-08-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't imagine this is true.

Marvel knows better.

The reason they got film rights to their characters is to stay true to the comics and because other studios were fucking them up like casting Michale Clarke Duncan as Kingpin!

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 09-08-08 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked how one talkbacker at aintitcool.com recommended to cast Warwick Davis as the Captain's shield (in the photo below, his shirt does resemble the shield):

Old 09-08-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably false. I don't think Marvel would screw this up.
Old 09-08-08, 05:41 PM
Banned

This casting would be like casting 1970's Burt Reynolds instead of 1970's Robert Redford in the role. Somehow Will makes the movie seem to tongune in cheek.
Old 09-08-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's from fucking MTV. Since when do they scoop movie news? Look at any of the stories they post and it's just a matter of asking an actor a vague question about wanting to work with a director or on a project, and then shuttling it back as some sort of scoop.
Old 09-08-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's far more likely that Will Smith would play Captain America than Cher would play Catwoman.
Old 09-08-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Maybe they mean the Capt. from Truth: Red, White & Black

Isaiah Bradley
Old 09-08-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoever ends up in the lead, Captain America will be a period film, set during World War II.
Old 09-08-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As much as I don't agree with this as a possibility I can see why they would cast Smith. With anti-American sentiment running wild overseas the only possible movie star that could make a film about Americanism work is him. Still, this should be left a rumor and never actually acted upon.
Old 09-08-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
As much as I don't agree with this as a possibility I can see why they would cast Smith. With anti-American sentiment running wild overseas the only possible movie star that could make a film about Americanism work is him. Still, this should be left a rumor and never actually acted upon.
From The Onion:

Will Smith: The Black Man Everyone
At Work Can Agree On

...And abroad!
Old 09-08-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bad casting idea!!!
How about Thomas Jane?
Old 09-08-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BJacks
As one of the individuals that oversees MTV's movie coverage (and the person that edited this story actually), I'll say this: We are all professional entertainment journalists who know film inside and out, and our blogs are conversation-starters by their very nature. If an actor tells us he heard so-and-so was cast in a film, there's absolutely no reason not to pass that on to our audience provided it's placed in the correct context, and this story certainly was. Readers can make their own determinations as to claims from an actor. We are very up front in the article that it's a rumor and even go so far as to say why it's doubtful.

And regarding our coverage as a whole, I realize it's popular to hate MTV as a channel, but in sheer numbers (particularly on the online side) I'd wager that we break more movie news than any outlet on TV or the Internet, sans the trades.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to developing exclusive news on the Wachowski's possibly working on a major comic book film (not Plastic Man).
I don't mind the reporting, it's just the way it is treated by some people as real news. It's just someone spewing back something that they heard from someone else, and just because they are an actor, it gets treated like gospel. Like the Michael Caine interview on your website, about the casting rumors. It's possible he heard from a WB executive about who's gonna be in the new Batman movie, but I doubt it. Christopher Nolan hasn't even started writing a new script yet, and why would WB give out that information so easily.

Edit: and you deleted your post.
Old 09-08-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote is for Brad Pitt.
Old 09-08-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I don't mind the reporting, it's just the way it is treated by some people as real news. It's just someone spewing back something that they heard from someone else, and just because they are an actor, it gets treated like gospel. Like the Michael Caine interview on your website, about the casting rumors. It's possible he heard from a WB executive about who's gonna be in the new Batman movie, but I doubt it. Christopher Nolan hasn't even started writing a new script yet, and why would WB give out that information so easily.

Edit: and you deleted your post.
Yeah I deleted it; realized I didn't feel like getting into a back-and-forth, but you were too quick for me.

But to your argument: We specifically launched our movie blogs to hold conversation-starter items like this (aka someone we interview throwing out casting info), and we think our audience is smart enough to make their own judgements as to the potential authenticity of an actor's claims. There's where context comes in...if we were certain about the casting we would have presented it as such, instead of putting "Michael Cain says" and making it clear that it's all heresay. And I think we do a good job at that, because I have yet to see one comment or website that assumed we were reporting it as confirmed fact.

We also do hard reportage, and those news items are also presented as such. For instance, we are speaking to Hoffman tomorrow and will attempt to clear up that long-gestating rumor.

Last edited by BJacks; 09-08-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
My vote is for Brad Pitt.
Pitt will be pushing 50 when Capt. America/Avengers both hit in 2011, so building a franchise around him as a young hero might not work so well.
Old 09-09-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Fat Man says no dice.
Old 09-09-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You people disappoint me.

The proper response in a thread like this is:

::drum roll::

"AWW HELL NAW!"
Old 09-09-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not that I think it will happen, but again, its not like there hasnt been a black Cap. America... Of course he could be offered the role of the Falcon, and someone thought that it meant he was offered the role of Cap.
Old 09-09-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
Didn't we suffer enough with "Hancock"?
Old 09-09-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
You people disappoint me.

The proper response in a thread like this is:

::drum roll::

"AWW HELL NAW!"
First thing I thought. Darn, beat me to it.
Old 09-09-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Ok first of all i am not a Will Smith fan. He is a mediocre actor at best whose movies seem to generate a lot of cash for no real apprent reason. It was funny but last December i watched "I Am Legend" (Not out of choice) and afterwards one of my friends asked the group of us to name one movie the guy had made that was very good or even just good. Someone suggested the original Men In Black and we "Meh'ed" a lot...but other than that it was met by silence. Then to suggest that this guy star as a prolific WHITE superhero.....yeah good idea (tad of sarcasm there). Add onto that a character that was established as a war hero during World War 2 and who represents the American way. Well during that part of the 20th century racial inequality was everywhere, so to have everyone looking to a black guy as their saviour might seem a little off kilter. This whole story is just a load of old bollocks. Its MTV once again proving that they are a company run by morons, presented by morons and watched by morons. I know what the M stands for these days....its certainly not music. A channel which spews out hellish bile reality shows and is just a gleaming example of what is wrong with America. And as for the guy claiming to be be from MTV and that whole garbage about being the best source for up to the moment breaking movie information......yeah right. If i want to know the latest news from the set of "Flavour of Love" or have an exclusive with the latest train wreck of a character from "The Real World" then yeah you are the source. For anything informative, educational, musically pleasing to the ears, well presnted (unlike that little shit asian/english presenter who is just a tard......i am english myself and would love to kick the crap out of that guy), or up to the moment entertainment/world news i will stick to pretty much any other source in the world before MTV.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.