Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBA Live 2009 vs NBA 2k9 vs NBA '09 The Inside

So the NBA video games are going to be released in October. I haven't decided yet which one I'm going to pick. I have purchased Live since it was Bulls vs Lakers in the NES, but I have been turned off by the incredible amount of glitches the game has and by the extremely stupid AI who doesn't believe in defense. What do the people in this board recommend?

And by the way, today I dicovered a glitch so bad in NBA Live 08 that it makes the PS3 restart. After finishing a dynasty season, several players went to the free agency in the off season asking for $0 and 0 years in their contract. When you try to sign the player, it begins the game of enticing the baller to come to your team. When he decides that he is interested in signing with your team, the screen goes just gets stuck before arrving to the negotiation and the game freezes.

Other glitches:
- a free agent doesn't sign with your team because he says you don't have enough cap space even if you have it.
- the games gets stuck after halftime with the camera focused on the bench players from your team
- player get ommited from the free agency roster in the dynasty mode.
- mid-level exception dissapears from dynasty mode at the beggining of the second season, even if you didn't use it in the offseason.
- players id dissapear during the game if you do mass substitutions.
- rookies aren't considered for MVP awards or player of the month awards.
-rosters in the dynasty mode get shuffled without any logic when a player goes down with an injury. the best example of this is that Shaq gets tossed to the bench and Dequan Cook automatically gets to play center the rest of the season. Also Ilgauskas gets tossed to the Inactive list and Cedric Simmons starts at center and David West goes to the bench and Mo Petterson starts at PF.

Also, during dynasty mode, the CPU rejects all trades and then counteroffers with a lowball move. There are no even trades between user and CPU unless you are willing to accept a stupid offer.
Old 09-06-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
get 2k9...I played the Live 09 demo and it was not so good.

I have 2k8 from this year and I love it.
Old 09-06-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Are demos out for Live 09? I've boughten the 2K series the last two years and I was planning on skipping this year unless there was some good additions. I haven't heard much on either end.
Old 09-07-08, 12:29 AM

yeah its on XB Live
Old 09-07-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The answer is the same every year and yet it always gets asked.
Old 09-07-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The answer is the same every year and yet it always gets asked.
You're right, we should just always assume that one franchise is the best.
Old 09-07-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am in the none of the above camp.

2K is by far the superior title, but it is way too animation heavy for my tastes. I never get the feeling I truly control that game.

I am really happy with Tiger, but if I get a team sports game itch, I am probably going to roll with NHL 09.
Old 09-07-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
You're right, we should just always assume that one franchise is the best.
These games don't change. There are better graphics and roster updates. That's it.
Old 09-07-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

These games don't change. There are better graphics and roster updates. That's it.
That's not true at all.
Old 09-07-08, 05:24 PM
Banned

That's not true at all.
Ditto. Usually every 2 years they made some dramatic changes. It looks that Live is getting a big change this year with the new DNA feature. Also this year it inlcudes 24 FIBA teams.
Old 09-07-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boughten
Old 09-07-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Wow, how the fuck did I type that.
Old 09-08-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably 2K9 and Live both. NBA 09 doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

Live has been atrocious the past three years, but for some reason I have high hopes this year.
Old 09-27-08, 09:39 PM
Banned

The Playstation Store now has the demo for NBA Live 09 and NBA 09 The Inside. I played Live and it looks good. The defense is tighter, but not excellent and the DNA/365 concept looks good on paper. The only change I don't like is the new free throw system. I'm now waiting for the other one to finish downloading.
Old 09-27-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I heard NBA 08 was better then Live 08 last year, so maybe thats the case this year.
Old 09-28-08, 09:10 AM
Banned

Actually I heard that 2k8 was better than Live, but the concensus was that NBA 08 suck badly and was the worst of the 3.
Old 09-28-08, 10:50 AM

I played the NBA Live Demo on PS3, and its a big improvement over last year's version. I played it several times and am even considering buying the game this year. I like the screen and role option. Graphics has always been a strong point for Live. Phil Jackson looks great, though celtics coach does not look like Doc Rivers at all. Weird.
With regards games always being the same, , I think up until 2003 (or was it 2004), I liked Live more than 2K. But 2K made great improvements then, and I've since been buying 2k every year. Though Live is much better this year, even 2k8 can compete or beat this year's version. So I'd say its a buy for 2k9, and a maybe for Live.
Old 09-28-08, 11:55 AM
Banned

If the game is like the demo, then NBA 09 just plain sucks. It may be 1080p, but everything looks really bad. The courts, the players, they all look the same. And the announcing is the worst I've ever heard.

I'm picking up NBA Live again. Interesting thing is that Steve Kerr still the color commentator for the Live series, along with Marv Albert, even though he has been the Suns GM for the past year. I really thought that he was going to be replaced by either Mike Fratello or Jeff Van Gundy.
Old 10-02-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think these results might prove that NBA Live 09 sucks again.

http://www.nba.com/preview2008/easim.html
Old 10-02-08, 02:22 PM

What. The. Fuck.
Old 10-03-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2K9 demo blows Live 09 away.
Old 10-04-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp
2K9 demo blows Live 09 away.
fo' sho' - although they need to calm down Rondo a little. He's basically unstoppable in the demo on offense, and can rip you at will on defense. In the one quarter demo, I'm averaging about 6 steals, 15 points, and 5 assists with Rondo

Anyway, going by the demos, and given the last 2-3 years of experience, it will once agin be a 2K year for me in bball.
Old 10-06-08, 01:31 AM

I've been reading a lot over the weekend and 2K9 looks and sounds amazing. This might be worth purchasing a system for (as a huge NBA fan). The animations, features and feel of 2K9 has me in awe...look forward to the reviews coming in this week to decide whether it's worth picking up.
Old 10-06-08, 08:45 AM

I downloaded all 3 demo's off the PSN network over the weekend.

NBA2k9 - Looks sweet, very smooth with each players animation looking and feeling much like the real-life counterparts. I was pretty impressed, though its looks like guards are overpowered like in previous years

Nba Live 09 - After playing the demo of NBA2k9 graphically this looked pretty poor in comparison. Overall it was blurry, grainy, and just not as "sharp." The player animation was ok but many of the players looked, dribbled, and shot the same. Gameplay seemed fun and I really love the concept of the DNA feature if it works right.

NBA 09 - This game was pretty bad. The graphics at first glance was sharp but the player animation was terrible. The gameplay was bad also with many of the players feeling like they were on skates. At times, players would move so fast it felt like Nba Jam. Definitely the worst of the three.
Old 10-06-08, 03:15 PM

Played all three demos and I'm digging 2k9 way more over the other 2 this year.

The first difference you see are the graphics, 2k9 is a much smoother and just plain more realistic compared to the other two. They did a great job with the "gravity" in the players and ball. Its hard to explain, but there were times where it really looked like an actual game. Reflections on the court were pretty cool too.

I was pretty set on it but the demo proves it, this is a definite pick up tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.