Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do any of you make your own super duper editions?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I saw Borat I became a huge Sacha Baron Cohen fan and recorded everything he did promoting the movie on DVD. I did it again this year with The Dark Knight...every interview or mention of the movie I could find...I put on DVD. Have any of you done this for a movie and/or star?
Old 09-06-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, but if someone wants to compile me a Best Of Linda Blair DVD, I'll be eternally grateful.
Old 09-06-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a friend that does this for some films. I wish I did, but seeing as how I have a hard enough time going through all the bonus features on most films I doubt I'd watch most of it more than once. Good idea though.
Old 09-06-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Not really to this degree, mainly just picking up store exclusive discs to add to the DVD set. I just recently picked up the 3 disc Hellboy set, and I swapped out one of the cases for a 2 disc one so I could put in the Best Buy preview disc.

I bought the original miniseries release of the new Battlestar Galactica because it has extra features that weren't in the S1 boxset, and I'm going to do the same as I did for Hellboy, swapping out one of the cases for a 2 disc one.

I also picked up a copy of Variety on eBay that came with a DVD about Signs a few years ago to make my own 2 disc DVD set.
Old 09-07-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I tend to do this sometimes.
Old 09-07-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did this for "The Dark Knight", yes.

I took all the HD trailers, all the HD TV spots (that I could find), all the Comcast HD featurettes, all the GNN "Gotham Tonight" news segments (poor quality but worth keeping and watching nonetheless), a History Channel special on the Psychology of The Dark Knight and a BD-rip download of the IMAX Prologue (though now I have a PS3 and it came with Batman Begins free so I've got the real deal now) and put them all on a Dual Layer DVD+R with menus for keeps.

Prior to that, I did a trailer DVD for the TV series "ANGEL", taking downloads of every WB episode promo and assembling them for disc. I created a music video (for the extended version of the theme song) and included all opening title sequence variations.
I did that because those WB episode trailers added to my enjoyment of the series when it was broadcast, something watching the show (or any show) on DVD completely lacks because there's no sense of anticipation for next week's episode, so to speak. The hype/epic nature of the trailers made it a lot of fun and I wanted to preserve that in some way.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 09-07-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-09-08, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think i mentioned this previously in another thread, but i bought the two disc extended cut of star trek II the wrath of kahn special edition dvd and then put both discs and the insert into a three disc case i bought that is about the same size (so the wraparound cover still fits). then i put the single disc release of the original series "space seed" episode in for the full viewing effect.

of course now i am out of date and will need to get the remastered edition of tos =P.
dan
Old 09-09-08, 11:18 AM

Mod note: We'll leave this thread open for now since it seems ok so far but I just wanted to remind everyone of our no boot leg discussion rule. If this thread starts to go in that direct it'll be closed.
Old 09-09-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did this once, for Star Wars Episode I. The hype was so intense, so I would video-tape every television segment or special I could find, and I ended up amassing something like five or six tapes with about 160 minutes of footage per tape. If I turned it into some kind of DVD, it'd be a goldmine, but I've lost the interest.
Old 09-09-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I made my own Grindhouse with both movies, plus all the trailers, including "Hobo with a Shotgun".
Old 09-09-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have all my old VHS that one day I'd like to be able to convert over to DVD. Same idea- lots of commercials, specials on a film, etc.
Old 09-09-08, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
Mod note: We'll leave this thread open for now since it seems ok so far but I just wanted to remind everyone of our no boot leg discussion rule. If this thread starts to go in that direct it'll be closed.
How or why would it go in that direction anyway?
Old 09-09-08, 05:03 PM

Like some previous posters, I sometimes double-dip and put both editions in the one case - one example I can think of was when I ended up buying 2 different R2 releases of Crimson Rivers 2 and keeping them both in the one case as they each had different features complementing the other (one had a DTS track, the other had subs, and so on...)

Dazza.
Old 09-09-08, 06:51 PM

I'm trying to do the same with Apollo 13, as I have all three DVD versions.
Old 09-09-08, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
How or why would it go in that direction anyway?
Some people already mentioned creating their own DVDs, granted w/ non copy righted stuff, but since it was already mentioned I thought I would remind everyone...
Old 09-10-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
If I ever find myself with too much time on my hands, I've been tempted to start making my own "Criterion" covers for non-Criterion DVDs.

I'll photoshop custom Criterion-style covers for DVDs like 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Dawn of the Dead, Pulp Fiction, etc., complete with numbers. Since I have no desire to own the complete Criterion Collection, there are plenty of "unused" numbers that I can stick on spines to fill out my collection.
Old 09-10-08, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If I ever find myself with too much time on my hands, I've been tempted to start making my own "Criterion" covers for non-Criterion DVDs.

I'll photoshop custom Criterion-style covers for DVDs like 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Dawn of the Dead, Pulp Fiction, etc., complete with numbers. Since I have no desire to own the complete Criterion Collection, there are plenty of "unused" numbers that I can stick on spines to fill out my collection.
I did that for Good Burger.
Old 09-10-08, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
Some people already mentioned creating their own DVDs, granted w/ non copy righted stuff, but since it was already mentioned I thought I would remind everyone...
Non-copyrighted stuff? Most of the things being discussed in this thread (trailers, interviews, etc.) are copyrighted.
Old 09-11-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a great compilation disc of Freaks and Geeks TV appearances from cast members.
Old 09-11-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Non-copyrighted stuff? Most of the things being discussed in this thread (trailers, interviews, etc.) are copyrighted.
True, but these trailers and interviews{at least for movies} are freely abvalible on the net.
Old 09-11-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by illennium
You are right they are copyrighted. But it is perfectly legal for individuals to record and keep copies of copyright content that is broadcast or available freely for personal use. Such as recording a TV show off cable or antenna, or a trailer off a website. This seems to be the case here.

-beebs
Old 09-11-08, 01:17 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I don't make my own discs, but I do make my own covers (rather my cousin does, he is a Photoshop wiz). For instance, I took the two Daredevil releases and made it into one set.
Old 09-11-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I haven't done this with films, but I have done it with music. Generally, a mainstream album will have the album release commercially. There'll also be single edits of songs that are released for airplay and there is usually also an interview show of some kind. Just to note: I only collect officially produced materials. Even though these supplements were not released commercially, they were made by the record label.

As for films, the closest I might get would be to track down assorted store exclusives. Generally, though, store exclusives tend to be tangible goods (coins, plush toys, etc.) at most stores and extra content at one, making it easier. There were plenty of store versions, for instance, of "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" but only Wal-Mart had extra content to my knowledge.
Old 09-12-08, 01:41 AM

CaseyB, Nick Martin PMs sent
Old 09-12-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did it with the retail releases of Zombie's Halloween. I don't know why, I hadn't even seen the movie, but I just felt compelled to. It's the regular DVD and Circuit City bonus disc with the Hot Topic, Zombie-signed cover inside the Best Buy slipcover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.