Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Does anyone prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality?
Yes, I prefer DVD video quality over Blu Ray video quality
13.78%
No, I prefer Blu Ray video quality over DVD video quality
76.89%
I like both equally.
9.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people like the video quality of a Sony HDTV over a Panasonic HDTV. And vice versa. It doesn't mean that one has better video quality than the other. It's all about which one your eyes prefer.

So, I'm curious, I'm not asking about which technology is better - DVD or Blu Ray - I'm just asking which video quality do you prefer to watch?

I personally prefer DVD over Blu Ray, because:
1. I don't have a mega-sized tv (just 37 inches), in which Blu Ray has video quality advantage over DVD for when TV/projector screens are much bigger.
2. The Blu Ray video quality of new movies are just too bright, too crisp. It's like trying on prescription glasses which are too strong. I don't want backgrounds to be as crystal clear as foregrounds - that's not the way eyes work. I can't really comment on old movies released on Blu Ray because I haven't seen any when they play the Blu Rays in the electronics stores, but I have a feeling that older movies released on Blu Ray is something that I would prefer.
3. Blu Ray is also headache-inducing. I was watching the Transformers Blu Ray in an electronics store and the brightness/crispness/sharpness factor just hurt my head. Furthermore, CGI seems to be even more fake/obvious on Blu Ray over DVD.

Blu Ray is still pretty amazing - almost 3D-like, but i'm not interesting in watching a 3D movie everytime I watch a movie. I just want the same video quality as I see in the movie theaters, instead of something so drastically different.

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-05-08 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the right set up, and the initial transfer is done right on the BD, then I'd go with that.

Watching a Blu-ray on a 19in tube set wouldn't mean shit. I think it all depends on your setup.
Old 09-05-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Furthermore, CGI seems to be even more fake/obvious on Blu Ray over DVD.
This bothers me as well especially with the demo loops that Best buy uses.
Old 09-05-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just make sure you don't use that 120hz technology. That's probably where you got the headaches from.
Old 09-05-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree that bad F/X show up more in Blu-Ray, but the same was true in DVD over VHS. I don't remember ever seeing the strings waving the Queen's tail in the movie Aliens until I had it on DVD.

I voted that I like both equally. Blu-Ray is obviously superior, but I'm not one of the people that refuses to buy anything that's not Blu. Personally, I think that's just silly. I will buy a new release in Blu, but if it's not available I still buy and enjoy regular DVD's.
Old 09-05-08, 01:21 PM

Electronic store setups are not to be judged on quality, because they intentionally have the brightness and contrast turned up much higher than normal to make the TVs stand out more. In the display menu, it's the 'daylight' setting or some similar name, also referred to as 'torch mode'. No one would watch any kind of TV like that at home unless they didn't know how to set it up properly.
Old 09-05-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Blu-Ray looks amazing compared to DVD.
Old 09-05-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not so much that I prefer DVD's video quality, it's just that I don't care about Blu-Ray's video quality.

Last edited by dadaluholla; 09-05-08 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Honestly, it all hinges on the transfer. I've seen HD content that looked about as good as an SD upconverted. I've also seen HD content that blows the SD out of the water. Just because something is on BR doesn't mean it looks better than SD; there are many variables you have to factor in to determine if the picture is truly better.
Old 09-05-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I'd say that from what i've seen so far, I prefer Blu-ray. But that doesn't mean that I plan on upgrading every title that I own on DVD though. Some movies look just fine in SD.
Old 09-05-08, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I'd say that from what i've seen so far, I prefer Blu-ray. But that doesn't mean that I plan on upgrading every title that I own on DVD though. Some movies look just fine in SD.
I think that is easily the most sensible choice.
Old 09-05-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's not so much that I prefer DVD's video quality, I just that I don't care about Blu-Ray's video quality.
High five.
Old 09-05-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I certainly haven't seen enough comparisons to be anything resembling an expert, but we do have a display showing Spider-Man 3 in standard and Blu-Ray. While the image quality of the Blu-Ray is noticeably much sharper (and probably preferable when comparing it directly to standard DVD), it struck me as almost too good. Like I wasn't watching a movie, but a BBC version of it. It definitely bothered me and I would probably want to avoid watching movies like that on Blu-Ray. Not sure if the standard was upconverted or not, but somewhere in the middle would be better, personally. I don't remember that effect when we had Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire playing side by side, so it might just be that particular movie.

I'm not even remotely ready to upgrade, and I can live with that. I still only have a regular 4X3 television, although I do plan to upgrade eventually.

K
Old 09-05-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just want the same video quality as I see in the movie theaters, instead of something so drastically different.
Video quality closer to the theaters is exactly what you get with BD if it's done right.

I don't understand the comments about brightness, unless you're referring to the in-store displays in torch mode. If you're referring to the smoothness of the frame rate, it seems this is yet another case of someone thinking the motion interpolation is caused by the format rather than the TV.
Old 09-05-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Honestly it depends on the movie. Like 80 horror movies and stuff I kinda like the low-grade grainy quality. Thats why I've kept a lot of old VHS's despite owning the DVDs.
Old 09-05-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just because something is on a Blu-Ray disc doesn't automatically mean it's better video quality than the same thing on DVD. You could have the same exact thing on Blu-Ray that's on DVD and the only thing different is the extra space on the disc.

As long as everything is improved, I'll go with Blu-Ray.
Old 09-05-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
I certainly haven't seen enough comparisons to be anything resembling an expert, but we do have a display showing Spider-Man 3 in standard and Blu-Ray. While the image quality of the Blu-Ray is noticeably much sharper (and probably preferable when comparing it directly to standard DVD), it struck me as almost too good. Like I wasn't watching a movie, but a BBC version of it.
That sounds like the previously mentioned 120hz or whatever mode they have on some HDTVs. I think it goes something like how the actual frames per second on a movie isn't quite 24, and so that mode has the player create a frame where normally two frames would blend together, thus making the motion more accurate and clear. Basically this makes the video look like what HD camcorders usually look like, or it even looks like real life. It's missing some sort of artificial sheen that a movie usually has and it almost makes the film look cheaper. This is not an effect of Blu-Ray, this is an effect of the TV (an optional one, thankfully), and I agree that it looks weird.

I think it makes sports games look better or something.
Old 09-05-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still waiting to see a jaw-dropping hi-def demonstration (either BD, broadcast or even poor departed HD DVD). I've checked the displays in stores, from the big boxes HT rooms to the WalMart displays and I've never seen something that would make me dump my 32" SD Sony tube.

I want to believe, I really do! I just haven't seen anything that looks remarkably better than a DVD (or even a good SD broadcast) on my 4:3 tube.

Don't ask me why -- I see the numbers and I've worked with computers and graphics all my life (though maybe that's why) -- but I just don't see what all the hoopla is about.

Also, I just don't trust those "side-by-side" comparisons I see in the store. The DVD version always looks so washed out and blurry that I can't help but think that I'm seeing some sales trickery as they never look that poor at home - although I know that non-upscaled DVDs can look worse on a hi-def TV.

I want to believe!
Old 09-05-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It's not so much that I prefer DVD's video quality, it's just that I don't care about Blu-Ray's video quality.
Same for me as well.
Old 09-05-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
i agree.
Old 09-05-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
to all of you who are only judging the quality of Blu-ray based only on the displays at stores. I would have thought most people around here would have known better than that.
Old 09-05-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
to all of you who are only judging the quality of Blu-ray based only on the displays at stores. I would have thought most people around here would have known better than that.
Yeah, I just don't get that, or the people that day, they can't tell the difference b/w a Blu-Ray or a movie on there little 27" 4:3 TV, or what have you.

I want the best possible, transfer of a film, especially on older films, I watched the Sand Pebbles last night, an older film that is just night & day compared to the DVD transfer. So how on earth could someone prefer the DVD quality over the Blu.

Yes, there are definitely Blus released so far, that for whatever dissapointing reason, have dissapointing transfers (Patriot Games IMO), so I can understand maybe on those preferring the SD & I agree there are still a TON of movies I own that I don't feel the need to upgrade (films like Val Lewton films an example I'm perfectly fine in SD). But I'll still take the audio upgrade over a SD any day of the week also.

I really think for the most part, anyone that prefers a DVD over a Blu quality wise, just doesn't have the proper set-up.
Old 09-05-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Some people like the video quality of a Sony HDTV over a Panasonic HDTV. And vice versa. It doesn't mean that one has better video quality than the other. It's all about which one your eyes prefer.
Poor analogy. When you're pitting one brand of HDTV to another, you're at least comparing HDTV to HDTV. But DVD and Blu-ray are vastly different in terms of technical specs.

I personally prefer DVD over Blu Ray, because:
1. I don't have a mega-sized tv (just 37 inches), in which Blu Ray has video quality advantage over DVD for when TV/projector screens are much bigger.
I can't argue with you there. The benefits of Blu-ray on a 37-inch TV will be limited.

2. The Blu Ray video quality of new movies are just too bright, too crisp. It's like trying on prescription glasses which are too strong. I don't want backgrounds to be as crystal clear as foregrounds - that's not the way eyes work.
Your comment about brightness is not surprising if your frame of reference has been store displays, which are notorious for having their brightness set way too high.

However, Blu-ray does not magically change the sharpness of the background of the picture in comparison with the foregrond.

3. Blu Ray is also headache-inducing. I was watching the Transformers Blu Ray in an electronics store and the brightness/crispness/sharpness factor just hurt my head. Furthermore, CGI seems to be even more fake/obvious on Blu Ray over DVD.
One might argue that that had to do as much with the movie as it did the technology. That said, I thought the special effects in "Transformers" looked pretty poor on DVD. I can imagine they'll only look worse in high-def. But that has to do with the quality of the movie, not Blu-ray.

I just want the same video quality as I see in the movie theaters, instead of something so drastically different.
Theatrical presentations are considerably higher-resolution than Blu-ray.
Old 09-05-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
All else equal, Blu-ray is FAR better.
Old 09-05-08, 06:05 PM

well, i'm using my 50" panasonic plasma and during the last fall season i watched "heroes" in HD every week. having not converted to blu-ray (yet), i purchased the SD version of the dvd and watched it on my upconverting player. now i could obviously see the difference between what i was watching on dvd versus what i had seen in HD, but i wasn't disappointed and i didn't feel the need/urge to jump to blu-ray. the picture quality was really good, and while the sharpness and colors on HD were better, i don't know if they were worth the ~$10 price difference to buy a new release blu-ray for a movie, and ~$20+ for a tv show.

and i know comparing blu-ray to an HD source is probably not the best thing, since the HD source isn't 1080p, and i can see how big-budgets, special-effects-driven blockbusters would probably benefit from HD, but considering most of what i watch is television shows and then comedies/dramas, i don't really have too much of an interest in jumping over.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.