Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Variety:
Denzel Washington will star in "Book of Eli," a post-apocalyptic drama that will be directed by Allen and Albert Hughes.

Alcon Entertainment is financing the film and Warner Bros. will distribute.

Washington will play a lone hero who fights his way across an America devastated by an apocalypse.

Gary Whitta wrote the script, and Anthony Peckham did the rewrite.

Joel Silver is producing with Washington, Susan Downey and Alcon co-founders Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. Shooting begins in January.

Washington most recently starred with John Travolta in the Tony Scott-directed "The Taking of Pelham 123."

The Hughes sibs are making the project their first drama since 2001's "From Hell."

Whitta adapted the Katsuhiro Otomo graphic novel "Akira" into two films for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. Peckham scripted "The Human Factor," which Clint Eastwood will direct and also rewrote "Sherlock Holmes" for WB.
Old 09-04-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Denzel. Post-Apocalyptic. Joel Silver. Alcon Entertainment! I love it already.

Good to hear. I miss those guys.
Old 09-05-08, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They had me at post apocalyptic. Hopefully the Hughes bros can return to form. Because I though Menace and Dead presidents were great, From Hell though, not so much.
Old 09-05-08, 09:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Welcome return for the Hughes Bros.
Old 09-05-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Can't believe it's been so long since the Hughes Bros. have directed a movie! Good to hear that their return sounds like an interesting one.
Old 11-23-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mila Kunis has joined the cast.
Old 11-23-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the article! It also mentions Gary Oldman as a part of the cast, so that's a major plus.

It does seem like a rip of Costner's "The Postman;" probably tweaked with horror. I'd really like to see an apocalyptic film series, enough of the one-offs.
Old 11-23-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Denzel. Post-Apocalyptic. Joel Silver. Oldman. Kunis ().
Slightly fixed.

I've been waiting a while for the Hughes Brothers to do a new movie. Menace II Society is easily a darker, more devastating film than Boyz N the Hood (and I love that film too) and a minor masterpiece, and Dead Presidents' post-Vietnam grit (like Menace meets The Deer Hunter) is also grossly underrated. (I might also add the botched robbery in that film is quite close to the chaotic heist in Heat.)
Old 11-24-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Nice. Missed this when it was first posted. I'll be there.
Old 11-24-08, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Welcome return for the Hughes Bros.
I second that, what took that long for a new film
Old 12-01-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Variety:
Ray Stevenson, who opens Friday in the title role of "The Punisher: War Zone," has joined Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman and Mila Kunis in "Book of Eli," the Alcon-financed drama that Warner Bros. will distribute.

Allen and Albert Hughes will direct the pic, which begins shooting in February.

Stevenson will play an enforcer dispatched to kill Eli (Washington) as he fights his way across the American wasteland, protecting a sacred book that may hold the key to saving humanity.
Old 12-01-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like a cool concept. I actually liked From Hell too, so I might be in for this.
Old 12-01-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Denzel Washington. The rest of the cast is an added bonus. Concept sounds good as well. I'm in.
Old 12-02-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched 'From Hell' again for the Xth time during Halloween this year.

I was, yet again, blown away by what a great movie that was on several layers. I was reminded how talented the Hughes brothers are.

I almost started a thread asking WTH happened to these two talented filmmakers then. I'm glad to know they are back in the game.
Old 03-18-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

Behind the Scenes video from Entertainment Tonight
Old 05-27-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Return of the Hughes Bros: Denzel Washington in post-apocalyptic drama "Book of E

USA Today has five photos up. (Plus a fifteen second ad.)
Old 05-28-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From Variety: Whitta adapted the Katsuhiro Otomo graphic novel "Akira" into two films for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.
That's news to me. Those films thankfully never even got made. Why would they mention them in a press release? Is it now okay to put in your credits things you did that never resulted in anything?
Old 05-28-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Is it now okay to put in your credits things you did that never resulted in anything?
Doesn't the Ghostbusters DVD have a filmography for Dan Ackroyd that lists Ghostbusters 3 or something along those lines?
Old 05-28-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Denzel worries me as the lead b/c he bores me into a coma, but I'm more excited for Ray Stevenson who I'm a huge fan of & Tom F'n Waits being in this. And in Gary Oldman, should still be a movie to look out for.
Old 05-28-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's news to me. Those films thankfully never even got made. Why would they mention them in a press release? Is it now okay to put in your credits things you did that never resulted in anything?
I thought Akira was just put on the backburner, besides he wrote the script and got paid for it. I think that counts. And he could always show of his writing with that script. It's not like he did nothing. The guys a writer and he produced a script. Why not put that on your resume?
Old 05-29-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking really good so far, should undoubtedly be better than the Taking of Pelham 123 remake. I like the part about how Washington's son convinced him to take Training Day and American Gangster, and those were both great turns from him and against-type. And this cast...Commissioner Gordon, Meg Griffin, The Punisher, Tom Waits!?!?! Sold. Can't wait to see a new Hughes Bros. movie.
Old 07-23-09, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HD Trailer
Old 07-23-09, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome trailer
Old 07-23-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks good. Didn't know Denzel could pull off those moves, hope he doesn't look stupid at least.
Old 07-23-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I like the Hughes Brothers....thought From Hell was very entertaining. Seem like all around good down to earth guys as well (not sure what the hell that has to do with anything but...there it is).

Sounds like this could be good.

Edit - just viewed the trailer - looks great - Denzel, Oldman.....excellent.

Last edited by Rival11; 07-23-09 at 09:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.