TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sons of Anarchy--Series Debut (FX)--"Pilot"--9/3/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Sons of Anarchy--Series Debut (FX)--"Pilot"--9/3/08

Sons of Anarchy

I'm really intrigued by this show and I'm actually looking forward to checking this out.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A drama about the Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original (Samcro), whose members try to protect their town from drug dealers and developers while running guns themselves. In the opener, a rival club destroys Samcro's illegal-arms warehouse. Meanwhile, there's a medical emergency involving the newborn son of Samcro leader Jax Teller (Charlie Hunnam). Gemma Teller: Katey Sagal. Tara: Maggie Siff. Clay Morrow: Ron Perlman.

Old 09-03-08, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk God

BTW, it appears the Pilot runs 78 minutes long. Pad your DVR's/VCR's. If you have Directv, it should record the extra time.
Old 09-03-08, 12:59 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
How's the buzz?
Old 09-03-08, 02:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
yeah, i've been seeing the promos, but don't know what to make of it really. sounds like a thin premise.
Old 09-03-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I watched it and felt like there was a lot of backstory that we are missing. Hopefully that will be addressed as the season goes along. I dont have anything else to watch at the time its on so will continue to watch.
Old 09-04-08, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVED this. I felt they did a great job setting up so many arcs and to the Hamlet vibe. Katey Segal is brilliant in this role. Can't wait to see where the season goes. That said, the pilot did seem a bit long (I know it ran 78 minutes) but the pacing never seemed off. Maybe they just could have held a few of the scenes for the next few episodes.
Old 09-04-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, it could have been a bit tighter, but with a pilot like this, there's always a lot to set up to get people up to speed. It pretty much forces exposition into places where later on you could get away with a lot less.

Did anyone else spot the Hamlet parallels (Mother and Uncle living together, Son trying to live under his father's shadow)?
Old 09-04-08, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Yeah, it could have been a bit tighter, but with a pilot like this, there's always a lot to set up to get people up to speed. It pretty much forces exposition into places where later on you could get away with a lot less.

Did anyone else spot the Hamlet parallels (Mother and Uncle living together, Son trying to live under his father's shadow)?
RE: the hamlet fun:

Spoiler:
Not to mention the uncle took the dad's throne and the dad is speaking to the son about how he disagrees with the state of affairs (Granted through the book rather than a ghost in this case).

Last edited by Mhepburn20; 09-04-08 at 10:06 AM. Reason: horrible misspelling
Old 09-04-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by FinkPish

Was that because of the numerous commercial breaks that took us all out of the action?!?

This was great. I had read a few reviews prior to the show, and they were totally off the mark (like the Futon Critic, and he is normally right on). But given the shows pedigree I was not concerned.

So many great actors playing against type, which is cool. And I had my doubts about Charlie Hunnam, but he has this certain swagger about him that won me over.

I really like the Jax character and the revelation he makes in the storage locker was pretty cool and not too melodramatic.

Previews for future episodes looked awesome. I also dug the music in the entire episode, although damn if I know any of them aside from the Black Keys.
Old 09-04-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I didn't watch but had it on as background noise. Did anyone hear the One-Niners mentioned as a gang on this show?
Old 09-04-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I didn't watch but had it on as background noise. Did anyone hear the One-Niners mentioned as a gang on this show?
You are correct. I wonder if it is the same universe as The Shield? That could be kind of cool.
Old 09-04-08, 09:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
The Shield meets The Warriors.... yes please!
Old 09-04-08, 10:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I enjoyed it. The cast was great and I think replacing Scott Glenn with Perlman was a wise choice.
Old 09-05-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked the plot a lot and excited about the rest of the series... Anyone know if Drea de Matteo will be more of a permanent part of the cast? I always find her damn attractive, even as a cranked-out whore, lol.
Old 09-05-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
If you're stuck with Comcast like I am they have the show available in HD through OnDemand the next day and without commercials. One less thing to worry about DVRing.
Old 09-05-08, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The lions had two songs this episode. Decent show, i think i may stick with it
Old 09-05-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Based on the preview I don't think it's in the same universe as The Shield.

Spoiler:
Unless Dutch has a twin
Old 09-05-08, 08:10 PM

Ratings were decent:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...36e322acb7f24b

Originally Posted by TheHollywoodReporter
'The Shield' has average season premiere
New series 'Sons of Anarchy' bows modestly

By Kimberly Nordyke

Sept 4, 2008, 07:48 PM ET

"Sons of Anarchy"

The seventh and final season premiere of FX's "The Shield" debuted on par Tuesday night, while the network's new series "Sons of Anarchy" got off to a modest start Wednesday.

After a 15-month absence, cop drama "Shield" returned at 10 p.m. Tuesday to an average of 2.1 million total viewers, including 1.3 million in the adults 18-49 demo, according to Live + Same Day data from Nielsen Media Research. That's even with the April 2007 sixth-season premiere.

Meanwhile, "Anarchy," the motorcycle-club drama starring Charlie Hunnam, averaged 2.5 million total viewers at 10 p.m. Wednesday against competition that included coverage of the Republican National Convention.

That was off when compared with other recent FX series premieres, including "Damages" (3.7 million in July 2007), "The Riches" (3.8 million in March 2007) and "Dirt" (3.7 million in January 2007).

However, a repeat at 11:16 p.m. averaged another 1.2 million total viewers.

In 18-49, "Sons" pulled in 1.5 million at 10 p.m. and another 817,000 for the repeat.

Elsewhere, Wednesday night's "America's Next Top Model" two-hour premiere was the lowest-rated in CW history (3.5 million viewers, 1.7 preliminary adults 18-49 rating/5 share), while Fox's two-hour "Bones" premiere (9.3 million, 3.3/9) was dead even with its Tuesday premiere number last year. "Bones" ranked as the night's highest-rated show, and Fox was the highest-rated network.
Old 09-06-08, 12:05 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I quite liked it. Whilst i like the strong character based nature of the show, i do want to see a touch more action and i also want to see things happen which make the viewers torn between loving and hating the Sons of Anarchy bikers rather than have them as the heros. E.g. they could show Jax earning his um 'Purple Wings'
Old 09-06-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

I just finished watching this last night and I actually quite liked it. There was alot of plot to set up in it's 78 minutes, but I think they managed to do a good job introducing most of the characters.

I think the two highlights of the pilot were definitely Katey Sagal and Ron Pearlman. Not really into the Jax character yet. Although the B-plot with the Junkie ex-wife was somewhat interesting. I'm curious about the Doctor....looks like she has some dark secrets from her past. I also liked seeing Mitch Pileggi in a darker role.

Anyone notice that this show was created by Kurt Sutter, who is one of the main writer/producers from The Shield?
Old 09-06-08, 05:59 PM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Anyone notice that this show was created by Kurt Sutter, who is one of the main writer/producers from The Shield?
Yup - definitely some talent behind this show. Allen Coulter (The Sopranos) directed the pilot.
Old 09-09-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I liked the plot a lot and excited about the rest of the series... Anyone know if Drea de Matteo will be more of a permanent part of the cast? I always find her damn attractive, even as a cranked-out whore, lol.
Um, didn't Katey Sagal slip her that needle during the "turn to Jesus" speech in the hospital? I thought when we saw Wendy during the final montage she was convulsing like she'd OD'd using what Gemma gave her - likely to "escape" not ever being able to see her son. I think she's dead.

The best scene was between Sagal and the nurse exchanging verbal blows. I'm so glad she's got a cool role like this!
Old 09-13-08, 01:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
anyone still watching? I thought the second episode was fantastic........
Old 09-13-08, 02:29 PM

There's a thread for the second episode.
Old 09-13-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
anyone still watching? I thought the second episode was fantastic........
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539383

It's still on the 1st page of this forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.