Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 40-Year-Old Virgin Blu-ray; different transfer than HD DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-02-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kept waiting, hoping that specs or information would come out stating if the Blu-ray "40-Year-Old Virgin" would have a new transfer (read: not DNR/EE'd to heck like the HD DVD), but haven't found such information yet. I know it'll have the option to watch the theatrical version (Woo!), which indicates that maybe it won't be a claymation type image, but has anything official been said?
Old 09-02-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm wondering as well. If so I will definitely dump my HD DVD, but may do so any way for the superior theatrical cut.
Old 09-02-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
It seems it could happen given how Universal has redone other transfers from previous HD DVD's. Then again, the results have been mixed, so who knows how it will turn out.
Old 09-02-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Universal hasn't actually struck new masters for any of the titles they've ported to Blu-ray. All they've done is re-encode the compression, in some cases mildly improving and in other cases mildly worsening them.

Unfortunately, 40 Year-Old Virgin has edge enhancement caked into the master. It's going to look just as bad on Blu-ray unless they remaster it from scratch.
Old 09-02-08, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Reviewers should be getting it next week....and if past Universal BD catalogs hold true, don't expect anything nicer than whats on HD DVD. The Theatrical version though...I don't know.
Old 09-02-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
...but may do so any way for the superior theatrical cut.
Whatever. This could add another two hours to this movie and I would love it.
Old 09-02-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Same here.
Old 09-26-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have the review copy, and the review should follow shortly. I can confirm, DNR, EE, and compression issues. Not any different really than the HD-DVD.
Old 09-26-08, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Yep.

Watched it the other night on BD and compared to my HD copy...exactly the same.
Old 09-26-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Why does Universal have to do this? Doesn't high definition seem like it's the best we'd get at home without having to do anything to the master to make it look prettier? Edge enhancement is terrible, and so is DNR. Ugh.
Old 09-26-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another question is: why bother with new transfers on some discs but not others?
Old 09-26-08, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Another question is: why bother with new transfers on some discs but not others?
I don't think they are doing "new" transfers just a new encode (for some). The only reason I can think of is to save a bit of space to make room for the DTS MA track (vs the smaller DD+ tracks on most of the Uni doubledips like 40 YO). Remember, most of these titles were on 30GB discs and have to go down to 25GB. So they have to cut 5GB of space somehow...and most of HD DVD extras were in SD so they don't take up that much room. 40Y0 has no excuse since it went from a 30GB disc to 50GB (but it did add the Theatrical Cut in HD which leads me too...)

I was more curious to see if the Theatrical cut on the BD (40 YO) did not have EE...but it does
Old 09-26-08, 08:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Why does Universal have to do this? Doesn't high definition seem like it's the best we'd get at home without having to do anything to the master to make it look prettier? Edge enhancement is terrible, and so is DNR. Ugh.
We've discussed it before here...but many people not 'in the know' like average consumers think HD stuff should be pretty and clean. They consider grain to be 'dirty' and not HD-like.

I'd much rather see intended grain then wax-like crap on 40 YO and Scary Movie. A little bit on DNR is fine with me...a little, but not like what happened to Pans Labrynth.
Old 09-26-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I sort of wrote an 'open question' to Universal in my upcoming review.

That's the thing, I understand they're trying to sell blu-rays to a crowd that wants their high def, and a majority of this crowd thinks grain=bad. Grain CAN be bad, if it's due to compression issues, which this movie has. But when you take FILM grain, and you put a filter over the image to remove that, you're taking away detail, and doing other funky things to the image.

But when it took so long for many to understand the difference between full screen and widescreen, I think this is going to be an enormous uphill debate that will be talked about for years and years to come.
Old 09-26-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I don't think they are doing "new" transfers just a new encode (for some).
That's what I meant to say - just being lazy with the lingo.
Old 09-28-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, is there any reason to get the BD if I already have the HD-DVD? Extras?
Old 09-28-08, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
So, is there any reason to get the BD if I already have the HD-DVD? Extras?
Unless you want the Theatrical Cut in HD - no. The DTS MA in this type of film is not really a huge improvement over the DD+ (IMO).
Old 09-28-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Nope. Unless your HD DVD player goes poopy.
Old 09-28-08, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Nope. Unless your HD DVD player goes poopy.
Plus I like my slip cover to much One of the few releases that had one (American Gangster being the second)
Old 09-28-08, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was more curious to see if the Theatrical cut on the BD (40 YO) did not have EE...but it does
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Universal using seamless branching on these discs (40YO and Sarah Marshall)? Why would the theatrical cut look any different in that case? I highly doubt they're putting two full encodes of the movie on it.
Old 09-28-08, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Universal using seamless branching on these discs (40YO and Sarah Marshall)? Why would the theatrical cut look any different in that case? I highly doubt they're putting two full encodes of the movie on it.
It does not look any different - I had hoped it would have two different encodes though (so it may not have the EE applied to the Theatrical Cut).

As for seamless branching...I don't know if its used or not in 40 YO, Knocked Up or FSM. Though in FSM case, I think it was (some slight macro-blocking appears at the same time in both versions of the film).
Old 09-28-08, 03:57 PM
Banned by request

I'm pretty sure they're using seamless branching. IIRC, seamless branching was enabled on the format from launch. There's no reason not to use it, and many good reasons to use it (don't have to put two separate encodes on the disc, two separate lossless audio tracks, and do a new encode of the theatrical cuts).
Old 09-28-08, 04:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm pretty sure they're using seamless branching. IIRC, seamless branching was enabled on the format from launch. There's no reason not to use it, and many good reasons to use it (don't have to put two separate encodes on the disc, two separate lossless audio tracks, and do a new encode of the theatrical cuts).
Very true, but IIRC, American Gangster has both cuts of the film on one BD but only one has lossless (the other is standard DD5.1). I'll have to double-check as my copies are still in my car right now.
Old 09-28-08, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Hmm. That's odd. Are you sure it's not just a listing error? Did you cycle through the audio options on both cuts?
Old 09-28-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Very true, but IIRC, American Gangster has both cuts of the film on one BD but only one has lossless (the other is standard DD5.1). I'll have to double-check as my copies are still in my car right now.
That doesn't necessarily mean they put two different complete video encodes on the disc though. I know of situations where, due to seamless branching, one cut has certain audio options the other cut doesn't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.