Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Schindler's List (1993) Vs The Pianist (2002)

abe55
08-31-08, 04:28 AM
Which one is the better movie, or which one do you personally prefer?

RTisBetter
08-31-08, 05:25 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Schindlers_list_red_dress.JPG

buckee1
08-31-08, 08:12 AM
I've seen both and while they are both moving films, Schindler's list is clearly the stronger of the two titles imho. The Pianist is a good film but not a great one. Schindler's List however, is simply outstanding.

movielib
08-31-08, 08:50 AM
Two great films but Schindler's List is one of the best films of all time.

SuckaMC
08-31-08, 10:20 AM
I liked the Pianist better. It showed me sides of the conflict I've never seen before.

Daytripper
08-31-08, 11:07 AM
This is the toughest poll yet IMO. Like buckee1 said, "List" is definitely the stronger of the two. But both are equally great. And I'd even say they are tied as the best holocaust films.

PopcornTreeCt
08-31-08, 12:34 PM
Wow. This is about as easy an answer as the Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas poll.

As my film teacher once said "The Pianist makes Schindler's List look like a student film"

RTisBetter
08-31-08, 02:19 PM
Wow. This is about as easy an answer as the Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas poll.

As my film teacher once said "The Pianist makes Schindler's List look like a student film"

Wow. You went to a shitty film school. And your teacher was a moron.

Mr. Salty
08-31-08, 05:03 PM

Agreed. I would have demanded my tuition back.

PopcornTreeCt
08-31-08, 05:13 PM

Nope. I suppose many are just easily manipulated by Spielberg's forced artificial emotion.

"I wish I was like you, easily amused"

CloverClover
08-31-08, 06:50 PM
The Pianist is the work of an artist, while List was offered to four or five different directors, anyone could have made it, Pianist is Polanski's personal achievement, that it may not make the top 10 on AFI's list like schindler's list is a good thing, it is more bold to work like Polanski does, to make the top 10 you have to make some easier decisions, like making the head nazi a vicious monster vs. the gray motivations of Spvielman's nazi helper in Pianist

RTisBetter
08-31-08, 08:35 PM
Nope. I suppose many are just easily manipulated by Spielberg's forced artificial emotion.

Anope. There is no forced "artificial emotion" in Schindler's List other than that stupid 30-second "I coulda saved one more" Neeson cryfest.

RTisBetter
08-31-08, 08:46 PM
The Pianist is the work of an artist, while List was offered to four or five different directors, anyone could have made it, Pianist is Polanski's personal achievement, that it may not make the top 10 on AFI's list like schindler's list is a good thing, it is more bold to work like Polanski does, to make the top 10 you have to make some easier decisions, like making the head nazi a vicious monster vs. the gray motivations of Spvielman's nazi helper in Pianist

Okay, let's start this discussion.

What is so bold about The Pianist?

Seriously, what is so bold about The Pianist?

FinkPish
08-31-08, 08:54 PM
Okay, let's start this discussion.

What is so bold about The Pianist?

Seriously, what is so bold about The Pianist?
He gave an example in his post: like making the head nazi a vicious monster vs. the gray motivations of Spvielman's nazi helper in Pianist

You know, you are coming across as over aggressive and kinda childish. People are allowed to have opinions different from your own and both of you can still be right.

movielib
08-31-08, 10:38 PM
Because Amon Göth (or Goeth) was not a vicious monster.

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/amon-g%F6th/

In Plaszow, Göth routinely tortured and murdered prisoners on a daily basis. He became internationally known through his depiction by Ralph Fiennes in the movie Schindler's List, although this grim portrayal (where, for shooting practice, he sniped Jews from the balcony of his house) showed only a subset of his crimes.

During his time at Plaszow, Göth allegedly shot over 500 Jews himself; Poldek Pfefferberg, one of the Schindler Jews, famously said, "When you saw Göth, you saw death."
I guess Spielberg should have made Göth more "ambiguous" or something.

CloverClover
08-31-08, 11:52 PM
Well I am bias because I am a Polanski fan, but I think it is more bold to tackle a project like that if you lived it first hand, though he took Szpilman's autobiography I am sure he also added authenticity from his own childhood. My last post was written in a hurry, I like both movies but Pianist seemed more challenging to me, List is definitely more dramatically pleasing, but Pianist is more sophisticated in its construction, like when he was witnessing the uprising from the apartment a few stories up, and the whole movie we always stayed at Szpielman's point of view... the cinematography wasn't gorgeously stylized like Kaminski's work, instead more mundane... I liked Pianist's intimacy/quiet style. As I said List is more dramatically powerful but I prefer the quieter / minimalist movies, to me they are more meaningful, I'd own both but Pianist would rank higher on my list.