Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney Classic Animation BD Plans: 2009-2010 - Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, B&TB

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney Classic Animation BD Plans: 2009-2010 - Pinocchio, Snow White, Fantasia, B&TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it looks like Destino and Fantasia 2000 will arrive on BD as well.

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Announces Expansive Slate of Upcoming Platinum Editions

Pinocchio * Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs * Fantasia * Fantasia 2000 * Beauty and the Beast Each Available For the first time on Blu-ray(TM) Hi-Def Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Launching Disney's New BD-Live Network - Worldwide - Fall 2009!

Last update: 10:11 p.m. EDT Aug. 27, 2008

BERLIN, Aug 27, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) proudly unveils five additions to the celebrated Platinum Collection of animated features to be released on DVD and for the first time ever on Disney Blu-ray Hi-Def. These include some of Disney's most beloved classics, Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Fantasia, Fantasia 2000 and Beauty and the Beast. Each will be available for a limited time only, in new multi-disc sets featuring rarely seen footage and an array of new bonus features.

Fittingly the one that started it all for Walt Disney, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first feature length animated film ever made, will be the title that will mark a new era in home entertainment around the world, launching Disney's worldwide BD-Live Network, a revolutionary technological breakthrough in home entertainment that will connect family and friends, allowing unprecedented interactivity and ease, from anywhere in the world.
Disney's BD-Live Network will be initially launched in the U.S. only, with the first Platinum Edition Blu-ray release, Sleeping Beauty 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition, available on October 7, 2008.

The Platinum release roll-out will be:

Pinocchio, the beloved story of a wooden puppet who wants to become a real boy, comes to Platinum Edition DVD and Disney Blu-ray in spring 2009.
Disney's second full-length animated movie, Pinocchio won two Oscars(R), one for Best Score and another for the unforgettable song "When You Wish upon a Star." It returns for the first time since 2002.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, honored with a special Academy Award(R) for screen innovation this movie has been unavailable since 2001. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Platinum Edition will be released in the fall of 2009.

Walt Disney's experimental masterpiece Fantasia won two honorary Oscars for its innovative use of animation and music. Most recently released in 2000, the restored and remastered Fantasia Platinum Edition will be available in 2010. Alongside this release, a newly restored and remastered Fantasia 2000 Platinum Edition, will be available. Fantasia 2000 begins where its predecessor, Fantasia, left off, with seven completely new segments and the return of the popular "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," featuring breathtaking images coupled with classical music favorites.

In conjunction with these releases, Destino, the unfinished animated feature film created by Walt Disney and famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali will release. Begun in 1946, it was rediscovered in 2003 and completed by Walt's nephew, Roy E. Disney. The collaboration between these two legendary artists will be available to own for the first time along with an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney.

Beauty and the Beast, the only animated film ever nominated for an Academy Award(R) for Best Picture, earned a breathtaking six Academy Award(R) nominations and won two Oscars(R). Beauty in the Beast Platinum Edition will be available in fall 2010.

About Platinum Editions
Walt Disney Home Entertainment Platinum Editions is an exclusive collection of The Walt Disney Company's greatest films on Blu-ray Hi-Def and DVD. Each release is restored and includes state-of-the-art bonus features to ensure the ultimate entertainment experience.

SOURCE Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment/story.aspx?guid=%7BFD84B8F1-9794-417C-AACE-A96AB025CEBC%7D&dist=hppr

Last edited by Adboy151; 08-28-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 05:24 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts
Cool!

Definite upgrades for me.
Old 08-28-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Sweet. Even more reasons to revel in high def glory!
Old 08-28-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
'Eh... after all these years, I think I'm done double-triple-quaduple-etc, dipping on some of these. I'm on the fence for the two Fantasia flicks, but Destino and B&tB for sure. So nothing for me until 2010.
Old 08-28-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
I stopped buying the "Platinum Edition" DVDs a few years ago with the expectations of forthcoming Blu-rays so I won't be doing a whole lot of double dipping. (I have however, pick up some OOP Disney titles like Emperor's New Groove and Tarzan because I'm not expecting some of those extras to reappear on Blu)

I'm happy Disney is finally starting to roll out the classics on Blu-ray!
Old 08-28-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantasia! Beautiful. That full length documentary makes Destino very attractive as well.
Old 08-28-08, 10:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Spring 2009 couldn't come any sooner - I love Pinocchio.
Old 08-29-08, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even though it'll still be awhile, that's outstanding news! It's nice to see that Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Snow White are up on deck, I hope Bambi and Dumbo follow shortly after.
Old 08-29-08, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
Even though it'll still be awhile, that's outstanding news! It's nice to see that Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Snow White are up on deck, I hope Bambi and Dumbo follow shortly after.
It looks like they're doing the ones that were released further back first (but switching Snow White and Fantasia), so The Lion King and Aladdin could follow, then Bambi.

Dumbo, however, is not a Platinum title and could come at any time. (That's what she said!)
Old 08-29-08, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
It looks like they're doing the ones that were released further back first (but switching Snow White and Fantasia), so The Lion King and Aladdin could follow, then Bambi.

Dumbo, however, is not a Platinum title and could come at any time. (That's what she said!)
Oh, I guess I can settle for Lion King & Aladdin first.
Old 08-29-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds good to me... These are the one set of movies that I will buy over and over again.
Old 08-29-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Good news. Looking forward to getting these. They should really look great.
Old 08-29-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Oh, I guess I can settle for Lion King & Aladdin first.
Thinking about this a bit more, they may be releasing the most popular platinums in the fall, which makes sense for holiday sales. Titles like Pinocchio and Fantasia aren't as big sellers as Snow White or Beauty and the Beast. This seems to be how they've done it on DVD since they started the 2-per-year deal. So, they may do Bambi in the spring of 2011 and save The Lion King or Aladdin for that fall. This is just speculation though.
Old 08-29-08, 11:20 AM

I just think it's lame that lion king has been out of print forever, and there's really no end in sight. At least give us another SD release to tie us over.
Old 08-29-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those out there (like me) that don't know just what it is, here's more info on Destino.

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Destino, the unfinished animated feature film
Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like it's a full movie length feature.
(From the Wikipedia link provided above)

The six-minute short follows the love story of Chronos and the ill-fated love he has for a mortal female. The story continues as the female dances through surreal scenery inspired by Dalí's paintings. There is little dialogue, but the sound track features a song by the Mexican composer, Armando Dominguez.

Destino was released theatrically in a very limited release with the film Calendar Girls as well as Triplets of Belleville. As of 2008, Disney has confirmed releasing the short with "their next feature release as a short" which would mean, at this date, Destino will accompany the theatrical release of Walt Disney Pictures' next release Beverly Hills Chihuahua.
&

Whatever length the actual animated short is, being a Disney fan from way back, I for one can't wait to see it along with the all-new, feature-length documentary.

-Pablito Tres

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-30-08 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Because I'm trying to break the Internet World's Record.
Old 08-30-08, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Edit King
For those out there (like me) that don't know just what it is, here's more info on Destino.

Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like it's a full movie length feature. &

Whatever length the actual animated short is, being a Disney fan from way back, I for one can't wait to see it along with the all-new, feature-length documentary.

-Pablito Tres
It's a six-minute short based upon Salvador Dali's sketches for a proposed feature film with Disney sixty years ago. I'm not sure where your confusion comes from.
Old 08-30-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure where your confusion comes from.
(He don't know me very well...do he? )

But Seriously Folks...

I thought it was going to be a feature film.

I thought feature films were feature-length.

Six minutes is a feature film?

proposed feature film
So, it was originally supposed to be a feature-length feature film and not a short?

-Paulino

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-08-10 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Because that's what I do.
Old 09-02-08, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
question -- what does old animation look like in 1080p? once i know the answer to that i will know if it is worth double-triple dipping for the upgrade. i mean what resolution did the animators even hand draw these in? obviously i dont know what i am talking about so any guidance here is appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-08, 10:02 AM

yeah i'm wondering this as well too
Old 09-02-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Providing they don't mess around with the color ala Peter Pan, I think Disney will knock 'em out of the ballpark, they should look incredible.
Old 09-02-08, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yawn. Some lame releases here for me (Fantasia?). Guess it will be 2015 by the time Aladdin and Lion King roll around. At least I'll own Beauty and the Beast in a few years. I know Disney is trying to go by their "schedule" but man, talk about alienating the younger Disney generation that grew up on the "return" of great Disney animated films.

Oh well. Does Toy Story follow their silly release schedule or is it different because its owned by Pixar?

I know some of you guys are thrilled by this announcement...but I've never liked any of the older Disney animated films so I'll be passing on most of these, especially Fantasia since it shared the crap out of me as a child.
Old 09-02-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not just that, but future generations have to look up to the unholy trinity of High School Musical, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, and the Jonas Brothers. Sure, WALL-E and Kung Fu Panda were both excellent remedies to the virulent kids' fare out now, but if children were steered away from those and Beverly Hills Chihuahua and that stuff world peace might be achieved.
Old 09-02-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dishpan
question -- what does old animation look like in 1080p? once i know the answer to that i will know if it is worth double-triple dipping for the upgrade. i mean what resolution did the animators even hand draw these in? obviously i dont know what i am talking about so any guidance here is appreciated. thanks in advance.
They didn't draw in pixels; they just drew, so there is no "resolution" to the drawings. With HD you will see cleaner lines with more subtlety to them. For example, you'll see lines that look like someone drew them, rather than being a solid black line. You'll also get better colors and much less compression.

If you want to get a sense of it, there is a trailer on something that shows some brief clips of The Lion King and others in HD. I think it's for Enchanted (trailer for that film, not on that disc).
Old 09-02-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Fantasia shared the crap out of me as a child.
That was pretty generous of it.
Old 09-02-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.