DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Murnau and Borzage Box Set from Fox: 12/9/08

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Murnau and Borzage Box Set from Fox: 12/9/08

Been a rumor for quite some time, excellent news. Info from Classic Flix:
**Fox** has announced their much anticipated Murnau and Borzage Fox Box Set for release on December 9th. Info is preliminary, including the title, and no additional details are yet available.

The titles are:

* Lucky Star (1929)
* Sunrise - Special Edition (1927)
* Liliom (1930)
* They Had to See Paris (1929)
* Seventh Heaven (1927)
* Bad Girl (1931)
* Song 'O My Heart (1930)
* Lazy Bones (1925)
* Street Angel (1928)
* City Girl (1930)

Retail price is $239.98
Where is The River? I had resisted shelling out for the Edition Filmmuseum version in anticipation of it being included. A pretty steep price too - it better at least come with a hardcover coffee table book similar to the one included in the Ford at Fox set.

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-27-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some great films here, but that price is pretty shocking. Ten films compared to 24 on the Ford set, and it costs nearly as much. Did Fox get greedy when the Ford box was a big seller? You've got to think this set will have even more of a niche appeal. I'm sure the packaging will be beautiful, but I hope Fox provides a cheaper alternative like they did with the Ford films.
Old 08-27-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Horrible price but I'm looking forward to this. I'm glad to see it finally announced.
Old 08-27-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news, but VERY disappointing price. I can't imagine these selling too well at that price point...

I'll wait it out for some amazing sale of some sort.
Old 08-27-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I'll wait it out for some amazing sale of some sort.
A repeat of the Barnes and Noble coupon that brought the Ford set down to 90 bucks would be nice.
Old 08-27-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Fantastic news!

Originally Posted by NoirFan
A repeat of the Barnes and Noble coupon that brought the Ford set down to 90 bucks would be nice.
That would be sweet. That's how I got my Ford at Fox, though I still haven't managed to watch any of it yet.
Old 08-27-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, what a price! I don't think I'd even buy that set for $90. Especially since I already own 2 different versions of Sunrise.
Old 08-27-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Wow, what a price! I don't think I'd even buy that set for $90. Especially since I already own 2 different versions of Sunrise.
Oh, please. You wouldn't pay a hypothetical, best case scenario $9 a film? It's just too bad this set is coming out after the November sale - hopefully I can find some generous relatives this Xmas. Ah, my very first triple dip...
Old 08-27-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...according to DVD Empire's listing, there are actually twelve films included, as well as a documentary:
Includes:
Lazybones
Street Angel
7th Heaven
Sunrise
Lucky Star
They Had To See Paris
City Girl
Liliom
After Tomorrow
Young America
Song O' My Heart
Bad Girl
Murnau, Borzage & Fox Documentary
Please let this become one of DVD Empire's 50% off pre-orders - with one of their higher tier coupons it wouldn't be a bad deal at all.
Old 08-28-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Hmmm...according to DVD Empire's listing, there are actually twelve films included, as well as a documentary:

Please let this become one of DVD Empire's 50% off pre-orders - with one of their higher tier coupons it wouldn't be a bad deal at all.
That explains the price a little better. Would I pay $9 a disc? Probably, I've pinching pennies lately though.
Old 08-30-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-order for $167.99 from Amazon. Still no word as to whether the surviving footage from The River is to be included.
Old 09-10-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDBeaver on the Film Museum edition of The River. Since the documentary from the Film Museum set is presumed to be the same one included in the upcoming box set, I trust this film will be included as well. Here's hoping for a few commentary tracks too. At that price, they better not be bare bones discs.
Old 09-11-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Extras on set, from Classic Flix:

--More details added to previous announcement--
--NOTE: Official name of set is Murnau, Borzage and Fox--

Lazybones (1925) – Frank Borzage
Steve Tuttle (Charles Jones), the titular lazybones, takes on the responsibility of raising a fatherless girl, causing a scandal in his small town. Many years later, having returned from World War I, he discovers that he loves the grown-up girl.

* Feature film (1.20:1 aspect ratio)
* Newly created score composed by Tim Curran
* Still gallery

Street Angel (1928) – Frank Borzage
First-ever ACADEMY AWARD-Winning actress Janet Gaynor plays Angela, in “a simple, but pathetically beautiful love tale” (Film Daily) that unfolds in the picturesque landscape of Naples, Italy.

* Still gallery

7th Heaven (1927) – Frank Borzage

* Frank Borzage’s inspiring romantic tale of love and courage is a true cinematic masterpiece. Starring Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. Winner of three Academy Awards®, including Best Director.
* Commentary by film historians Robert Birchard and Anthony Slide
* Still gallery
* The River reconstruction featurette
* The River Still gallery

Sunrise (1927) – F.W. Murnau

* In this fable-morality silent film masterpiece (which is subtitled “A Song of Two Humans”), an evil temptress (Margaret Livingston) bewitches a farmer (George O'Brien) and convinces him to murder his neglected wife (Janet Gaynor). After he comes to his senses - before he is about to kill his wife - the married couple renew their love in the city.
* Movietone version of feature film (1.20:1 aspect ratio)
* European silent version of feature film (1.33:1 aspect ratio)
* Original Movietone score
* Olympia Chamber Orchestra score composed and conducted by Timothy Brock
* Commentary by ASC Cinematographer John Bailey
* Outtakes with commentary by John Bailey
* Outtakes with text cards
* Original scenario by Carl Meyer with annotations by F. W. Murnau
* Theatrical trailer
* Still gallery
* Sunrise screenplay
* Restoration notes

Lucky Star (1929) – Frank Borzage
Mary (Janet Gaynor), a poor farm girl, meets Tim (Charles Farrell) just as word comes that war has been declared. Tim enlists in the army and goes to the battlefields of Europe, where he is wounded and loses the use of his legs. Home again, Tim is visited by Mary and they are powerfully attracted to each other; but his physical handicap prevents him from declaring his love for her. Deeper complications set in when Martin (Guinn Williams), Tim’s former sergeant and a bully, takes a shine to Mary.

* Newly created score composed and conducted by Christopher Caliendo
* Still gallery

They Had To See Paris (1929) – Frank Borzage
Oklahoma mechanic Pike Peters finds himself part owner of an oil field. His wife Idy, hitherto content, decides the family must go to Paris to get culture and meet the right kind of people. Pike and his grown son and daughter soon have flirtatious French admirers; Idy rents a chateau from an impoverished aristocrat while Pike responds to each new development with homespun wit. In the inevitable clash, will pretentiousness and sophistication or common sense triumph?

* Newly created score composed and conducted by Christopher Caliendo
* Still gallery

City Girl (1930) – F.W. Murnau
Lem goes to Chicago to sell the wheat his family has grown on their farm in Minnesota. There he meets the waitress Kate. They fall in love and get married before going back to the farm. Kate is accepted by Lem’s mother and kid sister but is rejected by his father, who believes she married for the money. The reapers arrive and quickly make things even more complicated by making their move on Kate. Lem misunderstands the situation and believes Kate is actually interested. In despair Kate leaves the farm and Lem goes looking for her.

* Feature film (1.19:1 aspect ratio)
* Still gallery
* Murnau’s 4 Devils: Traces of a Lost Film – a film by Janet Bergstrom
* 4 Devils screenplay
* 4 Devils treatment
* 4 Devils Still gallery

Liliom (1930) – Frank Borzage
This gorgeously mounted story — later remade as the musical Carousel — follows Liliom, a poor, but cocky man who turns to thieving to support his new family. But when a holdup turns disastrous and Liliom loses his life, he is allowed to return to Earth years later in an attempt to set things right.

* Still gallery

After Tomorrow (1932) – Frank Borzage
No matter how responsible they are, a young couple’s pending marriage plans are destroyed by their self-serving families.

* Feature film (1.33:1 aspect ratio)
* Still gallery

Young America (1932) – Frank Borzage
Already in trouble with the law, Arthur and his friend Nutty break into a drugstore to get medicine for Nutty’s grandmother. The druggist’s wife, Mrs. Doray, asks for custody. When he hears them arguing over him, Arthur runs away. When he returns Mr. Doray is being robbed by bandits at the drugstore.

* Feature film (1.33:1 aspect ratio)
* Still gallery

Song O’ My Heart (1930) – Frank Borzage
(Full sound version, and music and effects version) In this “flawlessly” (The New York Times) recorded feature loosely based on his own life, “John McCormack’s famous tenor voice is reproduced so naturally and so pleasingly” (Film Daily).

* Feature sound version of the film (1.20:1 aspect ratio)
* Music and Effects version of the film (1.20:1 aspect ratio)
* Still gallery

Bad Girl (1931) – Frank Borzage
In this Winner of two Oscars (Best Director for Borzage and Best Writing/Adaptation) — a touching drama set during the depression — a poor young couple must marry when she becomes pregnant.

Murnau, Borzage and Fox

* Feature Length Documentary
Wow, pretty slim extras. Not counting the extras on Sunrise, there's only one commentary, and no featurettes. At that list price, all Fox can throw in are some still galleries? Extremely disappointing.
Old 09-11-08, 06:14 PM

Yeah, what would have easily been a clincher for best DVD of the year is...just way too darn overpriced for too little. Still, very relieved to see The River making its way onto the set.

I'll allow myself to get suckered in for this, but at best its my #2 purchase this year. Flicker Alley's Melies set is still the darned coolest thing this year.
Old 09-11-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the press release:
Additionally, the set features two exclusive hard-cover books showcasing rare, unpublished photos from the careers of both filmmakers, one of which focuses solely on Murnau’s lost film 4 Devils.
Old 09-12-08, 10:37 AM

This is a must buy for me, despite it's embarrassingly high price. Gah! I loved SUNRISE so much that I must see more from Murnau. It made me weepy.

Anyhow, a nice look at the packaging will help. Maybe it'll come with a huge coffee table book like Ford's set did?
Old 09-15-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-18-08, 02:34 PM

I'm super excited for this but I'd still love to see Mortal Storm and Man's Castle and tons of other amazing Borzage movies with huge stars make their way to DVD.
Old 09-18-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema
I'm super excited for this but I'd still love to see Mortal Storm and Man's Castle and tons of other amazing Borzage movies with huge stars make their way to DVD.
Yeah, Borzage is criminally underrepresented on DVD - only China Doll, Strange Cargo and a handful of shoddy public domain discs before this.
Old 09-19-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
This is a must buy for me, despite it's embarrassingly high price. Gah! I loved SUNRISE so much that I must see more from Murnau. It made me weepy.

Anyhow, a nice look at the packaging will help. Maybe it'll come with a huge coffee table book like Ford's set did?
There is a difference between a must buy and a must buy right away. Heck, with the economy in the toilet this could get much cheaper very quickly.

Worse comes to worse, I'll wait a year and this baby will be cheap or subdivided like the Ford at Fox sets have been at Costco (and I'm still waiting for the price to go lower on them).

Meanwhile, they can stuff it.
Old 09-29-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished watching History is Made at Night, and I was absolutely enchanted. A marvelously eclectic, gleefully absurdist piece of storytelling that manages to combine screwball comedy, pathos, romance, and disaster movie into one delirious concoction. Hopefully this will get an eventual DVD release. In the mean time, it sure has whetted my appetite for more Borzage!
Old 09-30-08, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that's a nice looking box set. I'd buy it on that alone... except I've never seen any of these films. Time to queue them up.

-beebs
Old 11-13-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some screencaps from the upcoming set.
Old 11-13-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, I want this set, I just watched Mortal Storm recently & haven't seen any of the films in this set, I've been wanting to see more Murnau for a while. If this was out now during the 25% off sale, I'd buy the shit out of it. But it will have to sit on my wish-list for a while.
Old 11-13-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
If this was out now during the 25% off sale, I'd buy the shit out of it. But it will have to sit on my wish-list for a while.
I'm hoping the price at DVD Planet will go back down to $164.95 after the sale is over. Combine that with a $10 off coupon and $20 in points, and I'm in. I'm assuming this won't be around by the May sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.