DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony's Collectors Choice series: catalog titles coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony's Collectors Choice series: catalog titles coming soon

From this article:

Martin Scorsese’s The Film Foundation has partnered with Sony Pictures Home Entertainment to bring a variety of classic films to DVD. Films will be released under the “Collector’s Choice” banner and include restored and remastered transfers of previously unreleased titles from the Sony catalog. Hollywood talent will contribute commentaries and introductions in films that have inspired their own work.

The first release will be The Films of Budd Boetticher, a boxed set of five Westerns that will arrive in stores Nov. 4. “We have an incredible treasure trove of films in our catalog, and this partnership with The Film Foundation helps us to create a unique, collectible package for classic cinema fans so they, too, can own a piece of Hollywood’s film legacy,” said Lexine Wong, senior EVP of worldwide marketing for Sony.

Sony Pictures and The Film Foundation will continue their alliance with several upcoming DVD sets, including a Michael Powell double feature as well as Rita Hayworth, Frank Capra, William Castle and film noir collections.
Old 08-27-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's really weird, just the other day I was thinking that a William Castle collection would be nice. Too bad it won't be out in time for this year's horror challenge!

Rob
Old 08-27-08, 02:11 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I hope they hurry with the Michael Powell. They've been promising his matter of life and death too long.
Old 08-27-08, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder what they will do with Frank Capra...they already released a big boxed set of his major works. Perhaps a new edition of The Lost Horizon? Or a box set of silent films?

I imagine a Rita Hayworth collection would include You Were Never Lovelier, Gilda, Cover Girl, and The Lady From Shanghai, which is fine with me.
Old 08-27-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The noir collections sound intriguing. I look forward to just about anything Scorsese is involved with.
Old 08-27-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love a Fuller double feature of The Crimson Kimono and Underworld U.S.A.
Old 10-07-08, 02:58 PM

Over at the BritMovie forum, P&P guru Steve Crook has some more info on the Powell set and A Matter of Life and Death, courtesy of Thelma Schoonmaker:

It'll be packaged with Age of Consent in their "Collectors Choice" series. An odd choice but Columbia have the rights to both of them in the States.

AMOLAD will have a commentary by Ian Christie and Martin Scorsese has done an interview and introduction to both films.

AoC will be the one with the original soundtrack restored and there are also interviews with some of the people involved in the making of it like Helen Mirren, Tony Buckley (editor), Peter Sculthorpe (composer), Ron and Valerie Taylor (underwater camera) and Kevin Powell.

Thelma and some friendly people at Columbia have worked hard to get all of this done. They've done some tidying up on the prints of both films and the soundtracks.

So no Scorsese commentary as rumoured...I hope they are slightly more than merely tidied up.

Sony also releases Age of Consent in the UK next month.
Old 10-07-08, 06:47 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I hope the work on the Powell merits the long wait. A Matter of life and death is absolutely fabulous and I want a copy now.
Old 10-08-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll double-dip on MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (I have the R2) because it's one of my top-ten movies. I recently saw AGE OF CONSENT on TCM - Helen Mirren mostly displays her "au natural" talent rather than any great dramatic ability.
Old 10-08-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by g
I hope the work on the Powell merits the long wait. A Matter of life and death is absolutely fabulous and I want a copy now.

Hope this is announced for release soon. I will be among the first to pre-order!
Old 10-09-08, 11:30 PM

Sony appears to be releasing some "remastered" Frank Capra titles in Dec....anyone know if they are tied in with this series?
Old 10-10-08, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Carcosa
Sony appears to be releasing some "remastered" Frank Capra titles in Dec....anyone know if they are tied in with this series?
Apparently they are just stand-alone releases from the Sony Capra box set that came out a couple of years ago; there's been nothing to suggest that they will be 'Collectors Choice'.
Old 10-30-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Powell double feature coming 1/6/09, pre-order for $16.99 from Amazon.
Old 11-01-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Michael Powell double feature coming 1/6/09, pre-order for $16.99 from Amazon.
I'm there! Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-01-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i hope they got the rights to Spine Tingler for the Castle set. Its a great Doc.
Old 11-01-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Will Somebody make a Grace Kelly box set already. Ive been waiting years for a region 1 release!
Old 11-02-08, 09:56 PM

I too would look forward to a William Castle set...and since HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is in the public domain, perhaps they could include that as well...
Old 11-04-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Press release, from HTF:
Two Classic Films from the Legendary Director
on DVD for the First Time

THE FILMS OF
MICHAEL POWELL

Age of Consent ~ A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven)

Bonus Features Include a Special Introduction by
Academy Award® Winning Director Martin Scorsese
and an Interview with Oscar® Winning Actress Helen Mirren

The Second Release in the “Collector’s Choice” DVD Series
with The Film Foundation Debuts January 6

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (October 27, 2008) – On January 6, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) honors a celebrated British director with The Films of Michael Powell, the second release under the creative partnership between SPHE and Martin Scorsese’s non-profit film preservation organization, The Film Foundation, which seeks to make available newly restored classic films on DVD. This collection features two of the Academy Award® nominated Powell’s (Best Original Screenplay, One of Our Aircraft is Missing, 1943) most acclaimed films making their DVD debuts: the original director’s cut of Age of Consent and (co-directing with Emeric Pressburger) A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven). In addition, the bonus materials include a special introductions to both films by Academy Award® winning director Martin Scorsese (Best Director, The Departed, 2007), an interview with Academy Award® winner Helen Mirren (Best Actress, The Queen, 2007), and commentary by noted film historians Ian Christie (author of Powell, Pressburger and Others and Arrows of Desire) and Kent Jones. The two-disc set of The Films of Michael Powell will be available for $24.96 SRP.

About Michael Powell
British-born Michael Powell (1905-1990) entered the film industry in 1925 by working low level jobs for director Rex Ingram (Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse) in France. After his return to England in 1928, he learned his craft by working various jobs for filmmakers (including Alfred Hitchcock) before debuting as a director of low budget films in 1931 with Two Crowded Hours.

In 1939, Powell met Emeric Pressburger on the film The Spy in Black and formed a creative partnership that spanned 19 films (credits on their films together were always listed as “Written, Produced and Directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger”). In addition to A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven), other classics in their joint filmography include The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943), Black Narcissus (1947), The Red Shoes (1948) and The Tales of Hoffmann (1951). Their last collaboration was the 1957 war film Night Ambush.

While it has since become a classic and influenced a generation of filmmakers (Scorsese has described it as the “greatest intellectual influence” on his work), the twisted horror film Peeping Tom (1960) destroyed Powell’s standing with mainstream reviewers and audiences; he made only a handful of films after. His rediscovery by film critics in the early 70s through a series of retrospectives led to his the resurrection of his reputation as a great filmmaker and in 2002, Entertainment Weekly ranked Powell at #22 on their list of all-time greatest directors.

“I make films for myself. What I express I hope most people will understand. For the rest, well, that's their problem.” – Michael Powell

Age of Consent (1969) stars three-time Oscar® nominee James Mason (A Star is Born, Georgy Girl, The Verdict) and, in her first starring role, Helen Mirren (National Treasure: Book of Secrets). Disillusioned with his shallow New York lifestyle, an aging artist (Mason) moves to a remote Australian island where he seeks fresh inspiration. He finds it in vivacious, young Cora Ryan (Mirren) who agrees to pose for him. So begins their most unusual relationship, punctuated by the intervention of the island's rich assortment of quirky inhabitants.

A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven, 1946) stars Academy Award® winner Kim Hunter (Best Supporting Actress, A Streetcar Named Desire, 1952), Academy Award® winner David Niven (Best Actor, Separate Tables, 1959), Robert Coote (The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The Prisoner of Zenda), and Academy Award® nominee Raymond Massey (Best Actor, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, 1941). The film was originally released as Stairway to Heaven in a censored version. This is the uncensored version with the correct title. Reality and fantasy are disarmingly commingled in this superb film about a WWII pilot who claims he was accidentally chosen to die and must now plead for his life in a heavenly court. Niven gets on the radio and shares what he believes to be his last words with an American WAC, with whom he falls hopelessly in love.

DVD Special Features**
· Age of Consent Includes:
§ Introduction by Martin Scorsese
§ Featurette: Making Age of Consent
§ Featurette: Helen Mirren: A Conversation with Cora
§ Featurette: Down Under with Ron & Valerie Taylor
§ Commentary by Author/Film Historian Ian Christie
· A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven) Includes:
§ Introduction by Martin Scorsese
§ Commentary by Film Historian Kent Jones

**Special Features include rare behind-the-scenes photographs courtesy of the estate of Michael Powell.

Age of Consent has a running time of 98 minutes and is not rated. A Matter of Life and Death (Stairway to Heaven) has a running time of 104 minutes and is not rated.
Old 11-20-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-30-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver review of A Matter of Life and Death.