Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

All store exclusives and freebies - 8/24/08 to 8/30/08

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 01:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
All store exclusives and freebies - 8/24/08 to 8/30/08

These weekly threads are for the posting and discussion of that particular week's store exclusives and freebies.

These lists will likely be incomplete until Thursday or so, since DVDs are released on Tuesday and one of us needs to visit all the stores to confirm things.

Links to the master list and to the previous and next week's thread are below.

Volunteers needed: I regularly go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, and Walmart; but don't visit the other stores every week. If you work at or regularly go to the FYE/TWEC chains, Costco, Borders, K-mart/Sears, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Hot Topic, or any other store that has DVD exclusives; We'd appreciate any updates you could give us.

All Stores - Thread for all movie cash and free ticket deals
tons of free movie deals at various retailers, see the above linked thread for full details

Best Buy -
Little Mermaid III: Ariel’s Beginning - cup
Heroes Season 2 - Kensei Mask
Entourage Season 4 - skull candy ear buds

Target -
Heroes Season 2 Deluxe Edition - sketchbook and bonus DVD w/ 30 minutes of footage
What Happens In Vegas: Extended Jackpot Edition - conversation date cards and special box packaging
Entourage Season 4 - cards
One Tree Hill Season 5 - journal

Circuit City -
Entourage Season 4 - t-shirt
Heroes Season 2 - film cell

Wal Mart / Sam's Club -
What Happens in Vegas single disc - bundled with picture frame
Little Mermaid III: Ariel’s Beginning - boxed with child's vanity set

K-Mart/Sears -
I searched and found nothing

FYE/Sam Goody/other TWEC -
Heroes Season 2 - poster

Barnes and Noble -

Borders -

Costco -

GameStop / MovieStop - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Blockbuster -
none reported

Hot Topic - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Toys-R-Us -
Little Mermaid III: Ariel’s Beginning - photo album

The Disney Store -
none reported

Meijers - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Ralph's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Hastings - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Acme / Albertson's - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Giant Food / Giant Eagle - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Fred Meyer - I have not been in the store to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Canadian Exclusives -
Bestbuy
Heroes Season 2 - Kensei Mask
Entourage The Complete Fourth Season - Johnny Drama Viking T-Shirt

Futureshop
Entourage The Complete Fourth Season - cards
One Tree Hill The Complete Fifth Season - novel An Unkindness of Ravens by Lucas Scott.
I have not been in the stores to verify all new exclusives; has anyone else been there?

Last edited by Trevor; 09-20-08 at 07:01 AM. Reason: updates
Old 08-22-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I want cards or t-shirt when I buy Entourage. I'll be at Target anyways to get Heroes S2 Deluxe Edition anyways and since CC is right down the road, I'll see which I want and go from there.

I can stop at Toys R Us, Barnes and Noble, Blockbuster, Meijers and Gamestop/Moviestop on Tuesday to check on exclusives since all are right where I'm going to be. I'll pop back in here late morning/early afternoon on Tuesday and report if I find out anything.
Old 08-22-08, 11:52 PM

Representing Canada:

Bestbuy

Heroes: Season 2 with bonus Kensei Mask
Entourage: The Complete Fourth Season with bonus Johnny Drama Viking T-Shirt

Futureshop

Entourage: The Complete Fourth Season with bonus Deck Of Cards
One Tree Hill - The Complete Fifth Season with copy of the novel An Unkindness of Ravens by Lucas Scott.

Later
Old 08-25-08, 09:17 AM

Updates made, thanks!
Old 08-25-08, 10:07 AM

The exclusive novel with One Tree Hill is really a journal, seeing as how the novel has not actually been written yet.
Old 08-25-08, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by gypsywitch84
The exclusive novel with One Tree Hill is really a journal, seeing as how the novel has not actually been written yet.
The novel was written in 1986.

Canadian and US exclusives are often different.
Old 08-25-08, 10:59 AM

I was looking at the Bestbuy Canada flyer and Little Mermaid III: Ariel’s Beginning will also have a cup in Canada..
Later
Old 08-25-08, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
The novel was written in 1986.

Canadian and US exclusives are often different.
the Novel on One Tree Hill was written by the main fictional character.

the book you are talking about is by Ruth Rendell and not by the one tree hill character "lucas scott"

Recently(August 21, 2008) the creator, Mark Schwan gave an interview, where he answered and said"

"A lot of people want to know if An Unkindness of Ravens will actually be published as a tie-in novel or anything like that.

We have talked about that and it hasn’t come together just yet, because somebody’s got to write it. If it’s going to be written, considering it was Lucas’s book and it introduced Lucas as an author fictionally, it’s got to be quality, it’s got to be a decent book. It’s not something where we just want to hire a ghostwriter and say, “Just do this so that it’s a piece of merchandise.” I would just want to make sure there is a reason to do it and that there's spin that we could put on it. We have talked about it though, so hopefully that’ll come to light. If it doesn’t, it wasn’t for trying, that’s for sure. "
Old 08-25-08, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info! As with all these things, we never really know what we're getting until someone has it in their hands. Target especially makes mistakes in their promo material all the time.
Old 08-25-08, 01:29 PM

Hi. I'm not familiar with series. The information I got is what is on the Futureshop website with this picture:

But the lines on the front make it look notebook or journal..

Later

Last edited by johnsun; 08-25-08 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darn, I want both the Target and BB Heroes sets. I hope the BB set has a sealed copy of Heroes on the inside, so I can sell it and keep the mask...
Old 08-26-08, 01:59 AM

the mask is HORRIBLE on the BB set. like really. it's much much smaller than their 300/vendetta/potter masks. and the package isn't even heavy/sturdy like 300's was. the packaging isn't even nice like it is with those either. it just looks really cheap and is absolutely not worth the $10 extra. that being said, i would assume the dvd inside would be sealed. but i can't be sure. couldn't quite see through the opening where the mask is.
Old 08-26-08, 02:40 PM

I got the One Tree Hill at Target, and the journal looks exactly like the one on futureshop.
Old 08-26-08, 09:35 PM

9 chains hit, updates made.
Old 08-26-08, 11:08 PM

Don't forget about the 900 lb gorilla in the room, Best Buy's Nightmare Before Christmas limited edition set. It's so large it could almost hold a gorilla.
Old 08-27-08, 01:12 AM

FYE, etc. has a free poster with purchase of Heroes, season 2.

TRU has a free Little Mermaid III photo album with purchase of the DVD. It's a regular (empty) photo album for 4x6" photos with the DVD cover art on the cover.

The Disney Store says they will not be receiving copies of Little Mermaid III, so no exclusive for them.

Went to Blockbuster, associate said they had no exclusives this week, but I've been misinformed there before.

Enormous "Nightmare Before Xmas" set seems like it is not a Best Buy exclusive, unless there is something unique about theirs. I found this item at several Targets.
Old 08-27-08, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay C
FYE, etc. has a free poster with purchase of Heroes, season 2.

TRU has a free Little Mermaid III photo album with purchase of the DVD. It's a regular (empty) photo album for 4x6" photos with the DVD cover art on the cover.

The Disney Store says they will not be receiving copies of Little Mermaid III, so no exclusive for them.

Went to Blockbuster, associate said they had no exclusives this week, but I've been misinformed there before.

Enormous "Nightmare Before Xmas" set seems like it is not a Best Buy exclusive, unless there is something unique about theirs. I found this item at several Targets.
Thanks for the updates. I even bought that TRU exclusive, and totally forgot to list it.