Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMDB:
A comedy centered around an illiterate kid who looks to become a contestant on the Hindi version of Who Wants to be A Millionaire in order to re-establish contact with the girl he loves, who is an ardent fan of the show.

Variety:
Fox Searchlight has pacted with Warner Bros. to share distribution of Danny Boyle's next feature, "Slumdog Millionaire."

The project had originally been slated for distribution by Warner Independent Pictures, which went belly-up earlier this summer. Under the yet-to-be-announced deal, Warners proper and Searchlight will buy in at a 50% stake.

The film, based on a true story about an impoverished Indian youth who improbably strikes it rich with an appearance on the Subcontinental version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" is slated for screening at the upcoming Toronto fest and has been invited for a look-see at Telluride as well.
Not exactly what I would expect from Danny Boyle....
Old 08-21-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no idea what to expect from Danny Boyle. I don't have much faith in him anymore after the masterpiece-turned-turd Sunshine.
Old 08-22-08, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I liked Sunshine quite a bit, and didn't mind whatever shift people seemed to hate in the last part of the film. And after Millions, I know he can do a nice, sweet film without going too far and getting too saccharine.
Old 08-22-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Up to this point I still look forward to anything Boyle does.
Old 08-22-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trainspotting alone will make me always seek out a Danny Boyle film. It's in my top 5 favorite films and I love basically all of his work. Sunshine wasn't my favorite, but I thought Millions was fantastic, and I'm one of (what seems like) few who really enjoys A Life Less Ordinary and The Beach...
Old 08-22-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is one of the films that I'm really hope to catch at the Toronto Film Fest. Been all over this since news first broke (that image up above is from a story of mine).
Old 08-22-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BJacks
(that image up above is from a story of mine).
Sorry, I found it through the film's IMDB page - didn't mean to leave the image uncredited. Here is BJacks Cannes Posters blog, featuring several posters for upcoming films.
Old 09-02-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Variety loves it:
Driven by fantastic energy and a torrent of vivid images of India old and new, “Slumdog Millionaire” is a blast....As drama and as a look at a country increasingly entering the world spotlight, “Slumdog Millionaire” is a vital piece of work by an outsider who’s clearly connected with the place.
Old 09-06-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brief clip:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkBwZQpa6tk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkBwZQpa6tk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-07-08, 04:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Danny Boyle kicks arse! Now, what's this thread about?
Old 09-07-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
You had me at Danny Boyle - I could really give two shits what the movie is about.
Old 09-07-08, 11:15 PM
Banned

I just got back from the World Premiere at TIFF (had been edited in the week before Telluride Boyle said). What a breathtaking movie. Light years beyond anything Boyle has been involved with and I loved Sunshine, 28 Days Later, and Trainspotting. I'll type up some more later but I give this a 9/10.
Old 09-07-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
James Berardinelli ( http://www.reelviews.net/reelthoughts.php ) posted his coments on his news section, not a formal review but it seems to echo everybody else:

Slumdog Millionaire comes from director Danny Boyle and screenwriter Simon Beaufoy, who fashion what is at heart a romance into a mystery and a thriller with Dickensian undertones. It's tough not to think of David Copperfield when we see the "orphanage" to which the film's main character is consigned during his youth. What's more, this filmmaking team has found a new and inventive way to approach the storyline that not only invigorates the material but adds a whole new layer to it.

Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) is a poor boy from the slums of Mumbai who finds himself center stage opposite a smug host being watched by 90 million people on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. Improbably, Jamal is able to answer question after question, answering the penultimate query and earning 10 million rupees just as time runs out for the episode. The next day, he will return with a chance at the biggest prize. However, that night, the police take Jamal in for questioning, certain that he has cheated. After being tortured, he explains to them how he knew the answer to every question. This results in a flashback-rich tour of Jamal's life and the two recurring characters in it: his violent brother, Salim (Madhur Mittal), and the girl he loves, Latika (Freida Pinto). Growing up together, they were the "Three Musketeers" until circumstances tore them apart. It soon becomes apparent that Slumdog Millionaire isn't actually about how Jamal did so well on a TV game show, but whether there will be a happy ending to his found her-lost her-found her-lost her-found her- lost her relationship with Latika. With Garry Marshall, a happy ending would be mandatory, but Danny Boyle isn't nearly as conventional.

The film has all the elements necessary to make it a major winner when it enters general release. It's superbly acted, wonderfully photographed, and contains enough English not to chase away the subtitle-phobic. The story works on multiple levels - it can be seen as a sweeping romance, as a thriller, or as a glimpse at the ways in which a fast-developing economy is convulsing the fabric of Indian society. Some of the film's funniest and most satirical scenes occur within a massive call bank where customer service operatives try to convince callers that they are not, in fact, located in a foreign country.

Some films keep viewers on the outside looking in, able to appreciate the production in technical terms but not on other, more basic levels. This is not the case with Slumdog Millionaire. Boyle's feature draws the viewer in, immersing him in a fast-moving, engaging narrative featuring a protagonist who is so likeable it's almost unfair. The movie has moments of heartbreak and tragedy but it is ultimately uplifting and contains pretty much all the instances an audience will want. Boyle has come a long way to get to this point from Shallow Grave and Trainspotting but, after experiencing the pleasure of Slumdog Millionaire, I'm glad it's a road he has elected to take. ("I am located just around the corner from you, Ma'am…")
Old 09-08-08, 01:38 AM
Cool New Member

What a name.....humm..
Old 09-08-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
You had me at Danny Boyle - I could really give two shits what the movie is about.

Old 09-13-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Won People's Choice Award in Toronto.
Old 10-18-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another brief clip:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9VBofFZPsM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9VBofFZPsM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-20-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Slumdog Millionaire is my favourite film of the year so far.
Old 10-22-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Idiotic MPAA give the film an R rating.
Old 10-28-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New poster:

Old 10-29-08, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
seeing this this weekend at the Virginia Film Festival - can't wait!
Old 10-29-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to see a screening of it tonight but I can't find anyone to go with me. They all give me a wtf look when I tell them what its about.
Old 10-29-08, 03:08 PM

This is my favorite movie of the year. I know this sounds like hyperbole, but "Slumdog Millionaire" is why films were invented. The quality of storytelling is incredible.

Make sure you watch the end credits too, they're really fun.
Old 10-30-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I saw it and I really enjoyed it. The R rating was not needed its easily a PG-13. My only complaint was I really wished they hadn't used Paper Planes twice. Its quickly reaching an "All Star" level of annoyance.
Old 10-30-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trailer

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.