Reload this Page >

EA exec (Peter Moore) warns against suing file-sharers

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-21-08, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...g-file-sharers

EA Sports boss Peter Moore has said he doesn't support the move to sue consumers for illegal downloading - warning, "It didn't work for the music industry."

Moore was speaking to GamesIndustry.biz at the Leipzig Games Convention, following the announcement that five games companies are taking legal action against 25,000 file-sharing internet users.

"I'm not a huge fan of trying to punish your consumer," he said. "Albeit these people have clearly stolen intellectual property, I think there are better ways of resolving this within our power as developers and publishers.

"Yes, we've got to find solutions," Moore continued. "We absolutely should crack down on piracy. People put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their content and deserve to get paid for it. It's absolutely wrong, it is stealing.

"But at the same time I think there are better solutions than chasing people for money. I'm not sure what they are, other than to build game experiences that make it more difficult for there to be any value in pirating games."

According to Moore, there are lessons to be learned from the experiences of other industries. "If we learned anything from the music business, they just don't win any friends by suing their consumers," he observed. "Speaking personally, I think our industry does not want to fall foul of what happened with music."

When asked whether EA has any plans to go down the same road as Atari, Codemasters and the other publishers launching the legal action, Moore replied, "Not as far as I'm aware. Regarding what EA needs to do - I can't comment on that. EA takes piracy very seriously, and people deserve to get paid for content they create.

"But as far as I'm aware, we have no plans, that I know of, to partner with Atari and Codemasters and chase down consumers," he added.
To read the full interview with Moore, where he discusses EA, E3 and the console race, visit Eurogamer.net.
plus

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...rs-hollenshead

PC manufacturers view piracy as "hidden benefit" for consumers - Hollenshead

id Software's CEO Todd Hollenshead has stated that he believes PC manufacturers' acceptance of piracy and the sharing of content the user does not pay for is the PC hardware industry's "dirty little secret".

According to Hollenshead, manufacturers are secretly happy with levels of piracy in the industry as it helps to sell hardware.

"I think that there's been this dirty little secret among hardware manufacturers, which is that the perception of free content - even if you're supposed to pay for it on PCs - is some sort hidden benefit that you get when you buy a PC, like a right to download music for free or a right to download pirated movies and games," said Hollenshead in an exclusive interview published today.

"I think that if you went in and could see what's going on in their minds, though they may never say that stuff and I'm not saying there's some conspiracy or something like that - but I think the thing is they realise that trading content, copyrighted or not, is an expected benefit of owning a computer."

Hollenshead - famed for PC titles Doom, Quake and the forthcoming Rage - believes that PC manufacturers will obviously speak out against piracy in public, but the enormity of the problem is evidence that it's being largely ignored by hardware companies.

"I think that just based on their actions...what they say is one thing, but what they do is another.

"When it comes into debates about whether peer-to-peer file-sharing networks that by-and-large have the vast majority, I'm talking 99 per cent of the content is illicitly trading copyrighted property, they'll come out on the side of the 1 per cent of the user doing it for legitimate benefit.

"You can make philosophical arguments that are difficult to debate, but at the same time you're just sort of ignoring the enormity of the problem," he said.
Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 08-21-08 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-21-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
People put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into their content and deserve to get paid for it.
...except for EA who re-hashes the same sports games every year with minimal, if any, changes.
Old 08-21-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I don't understand Hollenshead's point. Why should hardware manufacturers care about piracy? The only thing they could do to restrict it would be to restrict the people that buy their products, and even if users don't use those features anyway, they don't like restrictions. It'd have to be adopted industry-wide, and even then it'll get hacked in a matter of hours.

The content providers should be the ones worried about piracy. In the console world, the hardware manufacturers are actually also the top content providers, which is why you see Sony and MS crack down on piracy/emulation on their consoles.

While I don't necessarily think suing the user base is the way to go, I'd also like to see publishers take a more active stance in stopping the distribution of what's been pirated from them.
Old 08-21-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand Hollenshead's point. Why should hardware manufacturers care about piracy? The only thing they could do to restrict it would be to restrict the people that buy their products, and even if users don't use those features anyway, they don't like restrictions. It'd have to be adopted industry-wide, and even then it'll get hacked in a matter of hours.

The content providers should be the ones worried about piracy. In the console world, the hardware manufacturers are actually also the top content providers, which is why you see Sony and MS crack down on piracy/emulation on their consoles.

While I don't necessarily think suing the user base is the way to go, I'd also like to see publishers take a more active stance in stopping the distribution of what's been pirated from them.
Old 08-21-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hardware manufacturers benefit because you spend your money on hardware instead of software.

Let's put it this way. 6 games at $50 each, or an Nvidia super-duper $300 video card? A lot of PC folks spend money on hardware because they aren't spending it on software.
Old 08-26-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't understand Hollenshead's point. Why should hardware manufacturers care about piracy?
If you owned a golf club company, wouldn't you be pretty happy if people could get free golf balls anytime they wanted?

Free software helps push hardware sales, no question. It's easier to "justify" the purchase of a new video card when a guy looks at his collection of pirated software and how much money he didn't spend on the games.
Old 08-26-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I believe he means that it is not their job to be concerned about piracy. They don't lose money on it.
Old 08-26-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So wait, if I get into PC gaming I don't have to drop $60 for games anymore?
Old 08-26-08, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Duh!

Chris
Old 08-26-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Considering PC games are generally cheaper then their Console counterparts anyway, yes
Old 08-26-08, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hollenshead is right - I know half a dozen people that have dropped thousands on their PC hardware for gaming, but haven't purchased a single game in their life.
Old 08-26-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the millions who bit torrented Crysis, you know many of them had to have expensive setups.
Old 08-26-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are hardware manufacturers supposed to do? As someone who doesn't pirate (yes, I even buy CDs and MP3s), I say go ahead and sue. Just stop putting restrictions on the PC games I purchase that prevent me from using them how I want. I'm tired of buying a game, discovering it requires the DVD in the drive to play, then having to download the no-DVD crack. Or jumping through hoops to rip a music CD to my computer because I have a Mac and I don't want the freaking WMAs that are on the disc. DRM sucks, and the only people it hurts are those that operate within the law, and maybe the most casual of potential pirates.

Do you know that someone complained to me the other day that their pirated copy of Microsoft Word for Mac didn't work correctly? Office for Mac starts at $149.99 and comes with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel—and three licenses, enough for your family. I think that's very reasonable.
Old 08-27-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Two very smart viewpoints IMO
Old 06-30-09, 01:30 PM

Re: EA exec (Peter Moore) warns against suing file-sharers

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=24253

Pirate Bay Acquired, Will Compensate Content Providers
by Kris Graft

June 30, 2009

Embattled file-sharing site The Pirate Bay has been acquired by game networking company Global Gaming Factory for $7.8 million, and will turn the website into a legitimate operation that compensates content providers.

"We would like to introduce models which entail that content providers and copyright owners get paid for content that is downloaded via the site, " said GGF CEO Hans Pandeya in a statement. The acquisition is slated to close in August.

Pandeya said that Sweden-based The Pirate Bay is one of the "top 100 most visited internet sites in the world." He added, "However, in order to live on, The Pirate Bay requires a new business model, which satisfies the requirements and needs of all parties, content providers, broadband operators, end users, and the judiciary. Content creators and providers need to control their content and get paid for it. File sharers need faster downloads and better quality."

Today, The Pirate Bay is known best as a destination where users can download illegitimate copies of music, movies and games. In April, a Swedish court sentenced the four creators of The Pirate Bay to one year in prison and fines of $905,000 each for "assisting in making copyright content available" via the website.

As part of the deal, GGF acquires all of The Pirate Bay's domain names and related websites. GGF will take over operation of the site on the deal's closing.

The Pirate Bay's blog said, "We've been working on this project for many years. It's time to invite more people into the project, in a way that is secure and safe for everybody. We need that, or the site will die."

GGF also said that it acquired German software company Peerialism for $13 million, a company that has developed file-sharing technology.

“Peerialism has developed a new data distribution technology which now can be introduced on the best known file - sharing site, The Pirate Bay. Since the technology is compatible with the existing it will quickly allow for new values to be created for all key stakeholders and facilitate new business opportunities”, said Johan Ljungberg, CEO of Peerialism.

Pandeya added, "As a result of the acquisitions of The Pirate Bay and Peerialism, GGF will have a strategic position in the international digital distribution market. File sharing traffic is estimated to account for more than half of today's global Internet traffic. The Pirate Bay has a global brand and holds a key position with over 20 million visitors and over one billion page views per month."

The acquisitions are subject to GGF obtaining financing and authorization by GGF's board of directors and investors.

GGF also has a large network of internet cafes and game centers.
Chris
Old 06-30-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I wonder if anyone involved thinks it's a bad idea to use "The Pirate Bay" as a place to make people pay for content?
Old 06-30-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

True - which is why I'm sure it will automatically redirect you to nowpaythepiper.com
Old 06-30-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lets see how long they remain one of the top 100 most visited internet sites in the world once they start charging for content.

How's Napster doing these days?