Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD player - play avi files

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Toshiba that plays avi files and it has stopped working so i went to bestbuy and looked to see if they had anymore. Well I am not sure exactly if the ones I looked at do. Most say DVIX on them. Here is the ones i looked at with links

Philips - DVD Player with HD Upconversion
Model: DVP5990/37

InsigniaŽ - DVD Player with HD Upconversion
Model: NS-UPDVD

Toshiba - DVD Player
Model: SD-6100 [

Toshiba - Progressive-Scan DVD Player
Model: SD-4100

Sony - DVD Player with MP3 and JPEG Playback
Model: DVP-NS57P/B
Old 08-21-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't post any links, and what question are you asking exactly?

If the boxes say DIVX (not DVIX), then yes, they play AVI.
Old 08-22-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do the Oppos play multi-formats?
Old 08-22-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean by multi-formats?
Old 08-25-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
What do you mean by multi-formats?
Pretty much anything you throw at it (AVI, MPEG, JPGs, etc)
Old 08-25-08, 01:09 PM

Oppos are great. I bought their original machine, the 971 as soon as it came out (I even have the silver remote to prove it! ) and it worked perfectly for 3 years. In March, I bought their hefty 983 and I couldn't be happier. Best player you could ever find, especially weighing the technology inside versus the price you pay. I can't say enough good things about that company.

About playing AVIs, you might have compatibility issues. DIVX or no DIVX, AVI files have different encodes, so you may have trouble playing AVI files, whatever the player you buy.
Old 08-25-08, 01:33 PM

Regarding "anything you throw at it" DVD players:
There are DVD players which can play (some combination of) Divx(avi), mpeg, jpg, wmv, mp3, wma files directly
as well as the standard DVD and VCD and SVCD formats...
Just not all in a single product.
I haven't found a cheap one, (or any one for that matter) that can do it all.

I'd settle for "only" avi, mpeg, wmv, and jpg, but even that seems a tall order; haven't found it yet among the cheap ($45 range) players I've looked at.
Old 08-25-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Pretty much anything you throw at it (AVI, MPEG, JPGs, etc)
I know it'll play JPGs. Oppo's Web site lists everything each model plays.
Old 08-25-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonnyquest

I'd settle for "only" avi, mpeg, wmv, and jpg, but even that seems a tall order; haven't found it yet among the cheap ($45 range) players I've looked at.

I'm pretty sure my Phillips plays all that. I've yet to put a disk of something in it and it not work.
Old 08-25-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Phillips DVP5982/37 does not play wmv files, but haven't had a problem with any avi, mpeg or jpg files as of yet.
Old 08-26-08, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I'm pretty sure my Phillips plays all that. I've yet to put a disk of something in it and it not work.
What model do you have?
Philips is using the "Plays anything" as a sales/marketing blurb on some of their models...but on closer examination, turns out it's an overstatement (per my experience thus far).

Edit to add:
I've been further researching the Philips products. There is a player that does what I'm seeking.
It's the DVP5990/37. The silver version (versus black) is DVP5992/37.

Last edited by jonnyquest; 08-27-08 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-26-08, 11:44 PM

I have a Philips DVP5960 but I've always been perplexed on how to get files from my computer to something the DVD player can actually play. Does anyone have any primers on how to do this? Maybe for a DIVX movie or a .avi movie?

Thanks, and sorry for the remedial question.

Last edited by vxla; 08-26-08 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by vxla
I have a Philips DVP5960 but I've always been perplexed on how to get files from my computer to something the DVD player can actually play. Does anyone have any primers on how to do this? Maybe for a DIVX movie or a .avi movie?

Thanks, and sorry for the remedial question.
If it's like Oppo's players, you just burn the files to DVD as data files.
Old 08-27-08, 07:21 AM

To can convert any file you have to MPG and you player should play it without problems. MPG tends to take more space, though, so 700MB avi file would take up a bit more space, unless picture quality is decreased.
Old 08-27-08, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by vxla
As Mr. Salty said, just copy the file(s) to a DVD. You could also copy to CD. Or to a USB flash drive. (The DVP5960 has a USB port.) If all works as advertised, the player will find the video files and allow you to play them. According to videohelp.com, your machine has capability to play divx, avi, xvid, and mpeg videos.
Old 08-27-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pat00139
To can convert any file you have to MPG and you player should play it without problems. MPG tends to take more space, though, so 700MB avi file would take up a bit more space, unless picture quality is decreased.
Thanks, I think most people here know that. But we're discussing players that play AVI files without having to convert them to another format.
Old 08-28-08, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
What model do you have?
Philips is using the "Plays anything" as a sales/marketing blurb on some of their models...but on closer examination, turns out it's an overstatement (per my experience thus far).
I'll have to remember to check when I get home. I just know I got it at Circuit City like 2 years ago for $50.
Old 08-28-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do new players play high-res stuff? All my players from 2005-6 won't touch avi/mpg above PAL res standard def. 720p stuff totally won't happen. Has this changed with upcoverters... can you get 720p content out via HDMI?

Although at this point, I think I want something that will play .iso/mkv/folders off USB drive more than anything else.

-beebs
Old 08-28-08, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by beebs
Do new players play high-res stuff? All my players from 2005-6 won't touch avi/mpg above PAL res standard def. 720p stuff totally won't happen. Has this changed with upcoverters... can you get 720p content out via HDMI?

Although at this point, I think I want something that will play .iso/mkv/folders off USB drive more than anything else.
Take a look at these 2 links, discussions about the
Philips DVP5990 / DVP5992. There are mentions of other makes/models
mixed in there too.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021947
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic351069.html
Old 08-29-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good lord, people! Just design your life so you can plug the PC directly into your TV. You'll never regret it.
Old 08-29-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just remembered to check. I have the Phillips DVP642
Old 08-29-08, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Good lord, people! Just design your life so you can plug the PC directly into your TV. You'll never regret it.
I prefer to choose devices to meet my requirements rather than change my life to suit my devices. A DVD player is cheaper/quieter/cooler/smaller/simpler/efficient and better suited to the task of just playing video. The only advantage of a PC is the ability to do live/streaming content. I don't need to see streaming on my various household TV's; I'm OK with being restricted to my computer to see those. My PC is usually busy doing "real work". I don't want to have to choose between running applications and watching stuff on TV. But that's just me.
Old 08-29-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously the DVDp is not better suited, if you have need to play a dozen different codecs. And my DVDp is just as noisy as my HTPC, which is to say....not at all.

So....you can work while watching TV, but your PC can't? Is it being disciplined?
Old 08-30-08, 03:03 PM

^^^Whatever floats your boat. I just think using a PC for entertainment video is overkill, especially if a $50 standalone dvd player can do the job. If I already owned a HTPC, then I could maybe see the option of spending a few dollars to construct some sort of network to connect my TVs to my HTPC. But that would still feel like a clunky solution to me.
Old 09-01-08, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Thanks, I think most people here know that. But we're discussing players that play AVI files without having to convert them to another format.
I know, but I was just trying to think of an alternative because no DVD player now that I know of is capable of playing all the AVI codecs out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.