Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

THE HONEYMOONERS - the BEST and WORST of the "Classic 39"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THE HONEYMOONERS - the BEST and WORST of the "Classic 39"

I've always been an avid fan of this show, even from when I was a kid. Nobody prompted me to like it; in fact, I remember just randomly catching it, when it used to come on at 11:30 at night on channel 11 in New York City...I guess I was a teen at the time, and my mother didn't want me up that late, but I made a big stink about it (I was obsessed/hooked on it)...I remember my grandmother chiming in, saying, "why you want to stay up late to watch that'a that show? they only made about 20 of them, and you've seen them all already." She was right, but it didn't matter. (Long story short - I lost that fight.)

Anyway, of the 39 classic episodes, which do you rank as the finest, and which do you rank as the "filler" episode? Here are the episodes:

The "Classic 39": 1955–56
The Honeymooners debuted as a standalone half-hour series on October 1, 1955, and lasted for 39 episodes.

01 "TV or Not TV"
Ralph and Norton split the cost of a TV, but then fight over who gets to watch what.

02 "Funny Money"
Ralph finds a suitcase full of counterfeit money and goes on a spending spree.

03 "The Golfer"
Ralph needs to bone up on becoming a good golfer to impress his boss.

04 "A Woman's Work Is Never Done"
Ralph and Alice hire a maid to ease Alice's burden of housework.

05 "A Matter of Life and Death"
Ralph thinks he has six months to live when he sees the vet's report on his mother-in-law's sick dog.

06 "The Sleepwalker"
Ralph has to deal with a sleepwalking Norton.

07 "Better Living Through TV"
Ralph devises a get-rich-quick scheme – selling Handy Housewife Helpers on TV.

08 "Pal o' Mine"
Ralph finds a gift from Norton that he thinks is for him, but soon discovers otherwise. And when he does find out, the gift comes between him and Norton.

09 "Brother Ralph"
Alice is forced to find a job after Ralph is temporarily laid off from a union strike at the bus company. But to get the job, Alice has to claim that Ralph is her brother, because a lot of employers don't like to hire married women because of their commitments to home and family. Ralph gets jealous when he realizes that Alice's boss is interested in her.

10 "Hello, Mom"
Ralph's foul mood is worsened when he finds out that Alice's mother is coming for a visit until it's revealed in the end that it's his mother who was coming for a visit.

11 "The Deciding Vote"
Ralph blames Norton when he loses an election for Raccoon Lodge convention manager by one vote.

12 "Something Fishy"
Ralph and Norton want to go fishing with their fellow lodge members, but without their wives, who, meanwhile, won't stand for such treatment.

13 "'Twas the Night Before Christmas"
Ralph rushes to buy Alice a new Christmas present after he realizes what he has gotten her is junk.

14 "The Man from Space"
Ralph wants to attend a costume party as Henry VIII, but is forced to improvise when he can't get the money to rent the costume.

15 "A Matter of Record"
Ralph cuts a record to win back Alice after insulting her mother.

16 "Oh, My Aching Back"
Ralph needs to recover from a night of bowling without Alice knowing.

17 "The Baby Sitter"
"BEnsonhurst 3-7741"
Ralph is furious when Alice has a telephone installed, until he finds out how she paid for it. And then he is madder than mad.

18 "The $99,000 Answer"
Ralph spends a week learning popular songs to win the jackpot on The $99,000 Answer.

19 "Ralph Kramden, Inc."
Norton invests in Kramden, Inc. and thinks he's about to get rich after Ralph is named in someone's will. Naturally, Norton wants his share, too.

20 "Young at Heart"
Ralph tries to prove to Alice that he can still do all the things he used to do when they were younger.

21 "A Dog's Life"
Ralph thinks he's found a great idea for a new food product, not realizing it's actually dog food.

22 "Here Comes the Bride"
Ralph nearly ruins the imminent marriage between a fellow Raccoon Lodge member and Alice's sister, after he provides some advice to the groom.

23 "Mama Loves Mambo"
Ralph and Norton have to deal with a new neighbor, who is unwittingly winning their wives' hearts – and their cooking time.

24 "Please Leave the Premises"
The Kramdens and the Nortons are at war with a rent increase of $5, though the only one who really wants to fight is Ralph.

25 "Pardon My Glove"
Alice tries to surprise Ralph for his birthday, but her plans are ruined because of his jealousy.

26 "Young Man with a Horn"
Ralph tries to improve himself in the hopes of securing a civil service job.

27 "Head of the House"
After boasting that he is the boss of his household, Ralph accepts a bet that he can command Alice to cook a special dinner.

28 "The Worry Wart"
Ralph frets after being asked to come to his local IRS office.

29 "Trapped"
Ralph witnesses a murder and arrives home a nervous wreck. And for good reason: the killers are after him.

30 "The Loudspeaker"
Thinking he is about to be named Raccoon of the Year, Ralph prepares an acceptance speech.

31 "On Stage"
When Ralph is asked to take the lead in a play, he lets it go to his head.

32 "Opportunity Knocks But"
Ralph gets a chance to impress his boss and earn a promotion, but Norton gets the job instead.

33 "Unconventional Behavior"
Ralph and Norton are sure to be a riot at the annual Raccoon convention... if they ever manage to get out of Norton's "trick" handcuffs.

34 "The Safety Award"
Ralph wins an award as the safest bus driver in the city, but gets into an accident on the way to the award ceremony.

35 "Mind Your Own Business"
Norton loses his job in the sewer and starts selling steam irons. Ralph, convinced of Norton's success, wants to do the same.

36 "Alice and the Blonde"
Alice and Trixie feel unappreciated after being ignored by Ralph and Norton.

37 "The Bensonhurst Bomber"
Ralph inadvertently challenges a much tougher person to a boxing match.

38 "Dial J for Janitor"
Ralph decides to save some money by becoming the new building janitor, but quickly finds out there's more to the job than he thought.

39 "A Man's Pride"
When Ralph runs into one of Alice's old boyfriends, he pretends to run the Gotham Bus Company to impress him.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 08-18-08 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-18-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Honeymooners is my favorite TV show of all time.
I am a member or R.A.L.P.H. (Royal Association of the Preservation of the Honeymooners)
I went to a Honeymooner's convention back in the early 90's where I met Joyce Randolph.

All of the classic 39 are great but some of my favorite epiodes are:

Unconventional Behavior
Brother Ralph
The $99,000 Answer
Mama Loves Mamba
Tapped
Alice and the Blonde

Some of my least favorite are:

A Man's Pride
Here Comes the Bride
The Loudspeaker
Old 08-18-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never been a big fan of the show, but I do like Ralph's fit when he sees everyone doing the mambo.
Old 08-18-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
"Pardon My Glove" is my favorite. I love the moment when Ralph starts yelling like a maniac (his forte) from the window landing, and then hits his head on the window pane when attempting to re-enter the apartment. It's a testament to that show (I think) that it still holds up extremely well after all this time.

I also love any time when Ralph starts in with "I'm the king of the castle" spiel. Of no surprise either, my girlfriend does not see the humor in it. This is a great show to watch after toking a doobie.

Also love:

"A Woman's Work Is Never Done"
"Better Living Through TV"
"Brother Ralph"
"The Baby Sitter" - "Gee, I didn't know Davey Crockett was so FAT"

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-18-08 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
The 5 best (IMHO)

Better Living thru TV
$99000 Answer
Unconventional Behavior
The Golfer
TV or not TV
(6) Young at Heart (for being sweet)
Old 08-18-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 "A Matter of Record" is my absolute favorite.

Of course, this show is so great, that "worst" is very subjective. The "worst" Honeymooners episode is better than 90% of any other show's "best" episodes.
Old 08-19-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched one of the "Lost" episodes last night - "The Great Jewelry Heist" or something like that...where Ralph has the guys from the bus company chip in 2 dollars for a gift for the boss's daughter. Meanwhile, it is Alice's birthday, and Ralph forgot. Alice's mother is over for a visit, and aside from the gift that Alice mistakenly thinks is for her (it was a watch that Ralph bought with the money, and had it delivered to the apartment)...Ralph and his mother-in-law get into the biggest fight I've ever seen! OMG! - the way they were shouting at one another, and then when Alice tried to pipe in, Ralph would turn on her, too, and tell her to keep out of it! At one point, Ralph raises his fist to his mother-in-law, then he almost throws a chair at her! Until he gets enough self-control to just leave the room.

Anyway, this fight helps you to understand why Ralph is so resentful towards Alice's mother in the "Classic 39," although you never really see why. But once you see this "Lost" episode, LOL!! It becomes very clear.

I always found it a shame that "The Honeymooners" wasn't endeared when it first aired (the ratings weren't so hot), otherwise there might have been more seasons. I just wish they'd release a good box set of the "Lost" episodes (pre- and -post).

EDIT: no, I don't like the Color Honeymooners...it is too weird seeing them break into song; also, no original wives...unwatchable.
Old 08-19-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Never been a big fan of the show, but I do like Ralph's fit when he sees everyone doing the mambo.
"You're gonna be doing the mambo on the moon!"

Favorites are:
TV Or Not TV
Better Living Through TV
The $99,000 Answer
The Man From Space(Norton dressed as his hero, the french guy who built the sewers of Paris is a riot)

Not a bad one in the bunch. TV doesn't get better than this.

My all-time favorite is the lost episode, "The Little Man Who Wasn't There", where the psychiatrist tells Ralph he has to quit hanging out with Norton or he will go insane.
Old 08-19-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a fan of the reruns when I was growing up. Bought the box set at fye.com when they ran a rebate special a couple of years ago. Haven't finished watching them but can't think of any being 'worst.' Now, some of the Honeymooners outside of the Classic 39 weren't that good.