Penn & Teller Bull****: World Peace - 08/14/08

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT

In Penn & Teller’s opinion, world peace is nothing but a utopian ideal – and a dangerous one at that. They believe world peace is simply contrary to human nature, no matter what activist Cindy Sheehan says.
I'm expecting a decent episode in this strong finishing stretch run of the sixth season. But I'm really looking forward to next week's season finale:

Good Ol' Days
Old 08-15-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I really enjoyed it. I think it showed just how stupid most of the protesting is, and they were absolutely right about the way to world peace. Hippies will disagree.

We have monthly war protestors next to my office. During one demonstration they decided to add a bongo player. I saw one of the organizers later and told him, "You know, the bongos really just detract from your protest, make you guys look like a bunch of stoned hippies, etc." No bongos the next month.

But for protestors, it is about feelings. Just like P&T said.
Old 08-15-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very good episode. One of their best, imho. Too bad it will never happen because some politicians are just too stubborn.
Old 08-15-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I really enjoyed it. I think it showed just how stupid most of the protesting is, and they were absolutely right about the way to world peace.
I agree completely. The problem with the leftist peaceniks is that even when they are right they have to muck it all up by linking it to every other loony leftist idea they can think of (like anti-capitalism or global warming).

This was an excellent episode, much better than I expected. They're on a roll now.
Old 08-15-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I really enjoyed it. I think it showed just how stupid most of the protesting is, and they were absolutely right about the way to world peace. Hippies will disagree.

We have monthly war protestors next to my office. During one demonstration they decided to add a bongo player. I saw one of the organizers later and told him, "You know, the bongos really just detract from your protest, make you guys look like a bunch of stoned hippies, etc." No bongos the next month.

But for protestors, it is about feelings. Just like P&T said.

I can think of no more effective way to get people to take you seriously than to bring a exorcist to your protest.
Old 08-16-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I can think of no more effective way to get people to take you seriously than to bring a exorcist to your protest.
Can you imagine? It was like watching a 7th grade student government meeting where some tard says something truly stupid, and they all love it because they recognize how stupid it is. But these people, being adults, have learned to embrace stupid ideas for some reason. It is all personal edification and resolve to be able to do stupid things that makes them think they have done something.

So many hippy types completely disprove the idea that there is no such thing as bad press.
Old 08-18-08, 12:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
When they showed Code Pink protesting at the Marine Recruitment center, I was reminded of when The Daily Show sent Rob Riggle (himself a Marine reservist) to cover that same protest:

<embed FlashVars="videoId=163653" src='http://www.thedailyshow.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Protester: "It's very important to protect free speech, so we clearly have a right to be here."
Riggle: "If only there was an organization out there that is sworn to defend free speech!"
Protester: "Wouldn't that be great?"