Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Warhammer Online ships Sept. 18 -- who's in?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Title says it all -- this new fantasy MMORPG is shipping Sept. 18. Anyone planning on picking it up? Are any hardcore WOW players planning on making the switch? Anyone preorder? Any chance this will put a dent in WOW's popularity?

I'm not the biggest MMORPG fan, but I'm somewhat interested as I used to play the tabletop miniature game years ago.

Official Web site.
Old 08-14-08, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uggg... WOW has burned me out on MMOs. They all appear to be the same grind-grind-grind type of thing.
Old 08-14-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard a single good thing about this one from anyone that is in beta. It is a shame too, since I really liked Dark Age of Camelot back in the day.
Old 08-15-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In beta and loving it. Finally an MMO that will pull me away from WoW!! I loved Dark Age's RvR and they've brought it to Warhammer and its done really well. I've already got my Collector's Edition pre-ordered and got the head start code...so, I'll be joining the War on the 15th!

Last edited by Setzer; 08-16-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-15-08, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
I haven't heard a single good thing about this one from anyone that is in beta. It is a shame too, since I really liked Dark Age of Camelot back in the day.
Funny, everyone I've talked to that was in beta before me says this game is like taking WoW and combining it with DAoC....they're loving it. This has been my opinion of the game so far....been in beta since Wednesday.
Old 08-15-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Setzer
Funny, everyone I've talked to that was in beta before me says this game is like taking WoW and combining it with DAoC....they're loving it. This has been my opinion of the game so far....been in beta since Wednesday.
Well, that is good to hear. I'll just wait and see then, since I doubt I'll be getting into beta.
Old 08-16-08, 11:56 AM

Well, that is good to hear. I'll just wait and see then, since I doubt I'll be getting into beta.
Open beta starts this Monday. If you go into EB/Gamestop and pre-order just the regular edition of the game you should get a pre-order box which contains the key code to get into beta.

Played for about 3 hours last night and I was able to do nothing but PvP and get 3 levels on my toon, which was really cool. The game basically let's you decide if you want to level through PvP or PvE or both. Here's a video which explains how RvR works in the game.....

RvR Podcast

Last edited by Setzer; 08-16-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
I'll probably wait until after the first of the year to jump in on this one.

I've been playing LOTRO for a couple of months now, and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I don't want to drop it in favor of a new MMO just yet, especially right at its launch when it's sure to have bugs and server issues and other growing pains these games usually experience. I'll wait for the kinks to be worked out before I hop in.
Old 08-16-08, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by lopper
I'll probably wait until after the first of the year to jump in on this one.

I've been playing LOTRO for a couple of months now, and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I don't want to drop it in favor of a new MMO just yet, especially right at its launch when it's sure to have bugs and server issues and other growing pains these games usually experience. I'll wait for the kinks to be worked out before I hop in.

I just started playing LotRO a little over a month ago and have been really enjoying it as well. My only real problem with the game so far is the PvP is pretty limited. The game's focus is on PvE and the Books and there's nothing wrong with that if you're a PvE only player. I'm signed up through November but it's going to be hard to find time to play it when WAR comes out. Don't have the time to play 2 MMO's with classes starting in September. Graphically, it's the best looking MMO I've played so far and the crafting system is actually an integral part of the game which I like. Quests are fun to do and I love that the game offers player housing. It's going to be hard to give this one up but if I get tired of WAR I'll definitely go back to LotRO.
Old 08-16-08, 04:25 PM

paid for my pre-order last week

waiting for open beta this monday
Old 08-16-08, 10:11 PM

I don't know who you've been talking to....I havn't heard a single bad thing about it. Also they're not suppose to be even talking about it until the NDA drops.

Also Open Beta Download starts this Monday, I don't believe open beta will start for a couple weeks.

Last edited by Jake77444; 08-16-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jake77444
I don't know who you've been talking to....I havn't heard a single bad thing about it. Also they're not suppose to be even talking about it until the NDA drops.

Also Open Beta Download starts this Monday, I don't believe open beta will start for a couple weeks.
Pretty much every single post I have read on Anandtech, Neogaf, and a few other places has been negative, for the last few months. I'm glad to hear at least some people are liking it, gives me a little bit of hope. Although I can't say I am too thrilled with the fact that they cut so much content at last minute.
Old 08-16-08, 10:45 PM

Although I can't say I am too thrilled with the fact that they cut so much content at last minute.
Ok, cutting 4 classes does suck but they might get added back in later. Still, 20 unique classes in the game.....compare that to WoW which only has 9, you get double the classes. That doesn't bother me.

If you watch the RvR campaign video I linked in my previous thread you can see why they cut the # of Capitol cities from 6 to 2. Their reasoning is good and I like that change.

My only gripes with the game so far is limited crafting(Only 2 professions) and the graphics don't look any better than WoW. I'm hoping the graphics will be better after launch because they don't have any of the graphic settings besides resolution in beta. Aside from that, the game is super fun to play....it's good to be playing an MMO again where PvP is done properly.

Last edited by Setzer; 08-16-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-16-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No doubt, 20 classes is still very impressive. Hopefully they are all pretty unique and they have most of the balance issues worked out in a decent amount of time. The juggling act of having to balance that many classes for PVE and RVR is a challenge.
Old 08-18-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
whats RvR? i cant view the podcast link above because i'm at work.
I probably wont be checking out warhammer since i dont think its coming out for the mac. also, i've been playing the WoW Expansion beta and having a lot of fun.
Old 08-18-08, 10:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'll probably try Open Beta and see what I think.
Old 08-18-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Open Beta starts September 7th. Was hoping it would be much sooner than that.
Old 08-18-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
whats RvR? i cant view the podcast link above because i'm at work.
I probably wont be checking out warhammer since i dont think its coming out for the mac. also, i've been playing the WoW Expansion beta and having a lot of fun.

RvR = Realm vs. Realm = PVP = Player vs. Player
Old 08-18-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Open Beta starts September 7th. Was hoping it would be much sooner than that.
Same here. That's not an open beta, that's a preview.
Old 08-18-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Duran
Well there was never anything "open" about this beta to begin with. That term "Open Beta" has been used and abused quite a bit for the last few years. The fact that in all of these "Open Betas" you have either subscribe to a pay service (Fileplanet) or Preorder the game to get in, means it isn't a "Open Beta", yet they still insist on calling them that.
Old 08-18-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm glad to see that some people already have good things to say about the game. I'm eager to read some professional reviews.

Originally Posted by Duran
Yeah, two weeks doesn't give developers much time to fix the bugs that will pop up -- sounds like the "open beta" serves as more of a server test and a way to generate prerelease buzz. So if you preorder the game and get into the beta you're basically getting two weeks' worth of free gameplay time?
Old 08-19-08, 06:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well there was never anything "open" about this beta to begin with. That term "Open Beta" has been used and abused quite a bit for the last few years. The fact that in all of these "Open Betas" you have either subscribe to a pay service (Fileplanet) or Preorder the game to get in, means it isn't a "Open Beta", yet they still insist on calling them that.
Wow. I just went to their site to get info on the "open" beta and was shocked to see that you had to pre-order. They just lost a potential customer.

They should take a note from WoW. That's a game I had no intention of buying until I tried the Open Beta on a lark. And Blizzard made a shitload of money off of me.
Old 08-19-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just do what I did, preorder from Amazon. You get your Open Beta code immediately, then cancel.

I got an email today about being invited to the weekend preview this weekend. I'm downloading the 10GB (!!!) client now.
Old 08-19-08, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Wow. I just went to their site to get info on the "open" beta and was shocked to see that you had to pre-order. They just lost a potential customer.

They should take a note from WoW. That's a game I had no intention of buying until I tried the Open Beta on a lark. And Blizzard made a shitload of money off of me.
I don't see the problem. You pre-order the game, get into beta, play it and if you don't like it, cancel the pre-order? Is it really that difficult?

With WoW, I had to sign up for File Planet in order to get into beta. They had a deal going where you got the first month free, so I signed up, downloaded the beta and then canceled my sub to FP. No big deal.
Old 08-19-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem is they are trying to get you to commit to the game before it comes out. On top of that they want you to help them bug test, which technciallly you paid for. Instead of only letting in people that have already preordered, how about letting in people on the fence so they will want to buy it when it hits

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.