Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Dobermann (BR/SDVD)

pro-bassoonist
08-11-08, 03:35 AM
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/4425/dobermannkn4.jpg

Universal-France are set to deliver a brand new set of releases for Jan Kounen's Dobermann on Blu-Ray and DVD this October 23. Extras from old set available.

Eyeforfilm:

If Mad Max went completely barmy and Bonnie & Clyde overdosed on bank jobs and Dirty Harry was dismissed from the force for being too clean, you would get the feel of Jan Kounen's debut film. He doesn't go over the top. He starts there.

Made in cartoon style, with the darkest, bitterest black humour, it tells of Yann (Vincent Cassel) and his gang of dangerous nutters, plus the beautiful, dumb'n'deadly Nat the Gypsy (Monica Bellucci), a sex object of uncompromising delight, and Sonia/Olivier, a law student at home and drag princess at night. It also depicts the insanity and vicious sadism of a fascist cop (Tcheky Karyo), who goes after them.

The spark of Kounen's imagination is offset by a level of violence that would have Quentin Tarantino whimpering like a scorched puppy. The use of guns in symbolic rape-and-pillage is a phallic message to politically correct feminists that guys are back on top and if chicks aren't tough enough, they'll become roadkill like the rest.

The humour bites your face. The popvid camera tricks are tempered by a storyline that demands attention. The performances are ridiculously exaggerated, or too cool to call. If youth equals rebellion equals no-holds-barred, be prepared to smile through gritted teeth. Dobermann makes Blade look like Looney Toons.

Kounen uses film with the patience of a runaway train. At a time when Hollywood sees fit to remake The Tender Trap, his ability to undermine convention is encouraging. Unfortunately, only the brave and emotionally cauterised will watch all the way through. Violence causes nausea when overindulged.

Pro-B

toddly6666
08-11-08, 08:37 AM
Pro-Bass,
this is another one of the few movies which would make me consider buying blu ray if this one had english subtitles.

nitin77
08-12-08, 03:01 AM
pro-b,

is this film actually any good?

lordzeppelin
08-12-08, 08:22 AM
The odds of this having english subs are...

zero point zero. right?

pro-bassoonist
08-12-08, 01:58 PM
pro-b,

is this film actually any good?

I would not describe it as good, excessive is probably a better description. But I posted the news because the film seems to have a large following.

As to English subs, Universal-France have never provided such on any of their previous releases.

Pro-B

toddly6666
08-12-08, 02:07 PM
It's good for its genre - a well-filmed, wacky, crazy characters, wild shoot-em-up film.

splattii2
08-14-08, 09:07 AM
Pro-Bass,
this is another one of the few movies which would make me consider buying blu ray if this one had english subtitles.

Don't do it. The only thing the PS3 has done for my life is caused me to play video games again after taking a 10 year break from that form of entertainment. When MG4 came out I picked it up trying to justify owning a PS3 since Blu Ray titles are useless when it comes to International films. Yes, there is a thread with International titles, but let's get real. Many of the International Blu Ray titles;

1) Are Updated releases of well known/famous International films already on DVD
2) Don't have English support if smaller films
3) Suck

For someone like me (and you I assume) who spends more time in the International DVD section of DVDTALK, avoid Blu Ray like the plague right now. Now that I finished MGS4 (16 hours of my life I can't get back) the PS3 is back to being a dust collector, along with my A3...lol

pro-bassoonist
08-14-08, 03:31 PM
I don't know if this post is meant to be a sarcastic attempt in originality or...something else. Whatever it is it is simply lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Pro-B

toddly6666
08-15-08, 12:44 PM
SPLATTI,
I agree with you - I'm perfectly happy with DVD quality. Sometimes I ponder getting Blu Ray, but then I just realize i'm just getting suckered into the whole "if everyone jumped off the cliff, would I jump as well?" technology marketing ploy, and thinking about updating all my technology drives me nuts.
Basically one has to narrow it down what one wants when watching a film. For me it's:
1. Clear and in focus (I don't care about scratches and grain)
2. Loud, clear dialogue/action with subwoofer (I don't care that much about 5.1 surround - but definitly have to have 2.1 sound)
3. No skipping/pixilation/ etc..
4. Large screen
5. I certainly don't care about dvd extras or being able to see even the far far background perfectly crisp (isn't this bad for our vision anyway? The far, far background isn't supposed to be crisp and clear - that's the way our eyes work. I'm not that interested in Blu Ray in which everything is equally in focus a la Speed Racer movie.)

If anything I've realized I probably most want a Projector, rather than pristine DVD/Blu Ray video/audio quality. I'm actually researching an Optoma or Epson Moviemate projector - projectors seem to be getting better in quality and cheaper. That will probably be my next investment, rather than a Blu Ray player, which anyway repeating DVD player nonsense with the Region coding.

splattii2
08-20-08, 08:59 AM
I don't know if this post is meant to be a sarcastic attempt in originality or...something else. Whatever it is it is simply lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Pro-B

My post was my experience and opinion. If you don't agree, frankly that's fine as this is a forum.

As for the credibility comment, I guess you're upset that I suggest MGS4 was a waste of 16 hours. I didn't really like the game, but I guess others did so I'll admit maybe a was a bit harsh. lol. I think my BD comments were dead on.

thanks!

lordzeppelin
08-20-08, 09:12 AM
My post was my experience and opinion. If you don't agree, frankly that's fine as this is a forum.

As for the credibility comment, I guess you're upset that I suggest MGS4 was a waste of 16 hours. I didn't really like the game, but I guess others did so I'll admit maybe a was a bit harsh. lol. I think my BD comments were dead on.

thanks!

What I don't think you're understanding is that your original comments kinda came out of left-field. The PS3 debate and BD comments were mostly irrelevant to the thread at large. And while some of it may be true...I'm not sure how much place it has in a thread about a Dobermann re-release.

toddly6666
03-25-09, 08:11 PM
BIG NEWS BIG NEWS BIG NEWS!!!!

ANAMORPHIC DVD, DD 5.1 FRENCH, ENGLISH-SUBTITLED DOBERMANN NOW AVAILABLE!

http://www.artpopdvd.com/DVD/48602.aspx

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pro-bassoonist
03-25-09, 10:57 PM
This certainly is news...but very strange news. I highly doubt it the English subtitles have been authorized by the rights holders. Hopefully it is a good print.

(I am still opting for the French BD).

Pro-B

toddly6666
03-25-09, 11:08 PM
This certainly is news...but very strange news. I highly doubt it the English subtitles have been authorized by the rights holders. Hopefully it is a good print.

(I am still opting for the French BD).

Pro-B

The original Russian DVD had English subtitles listed on the DVD back cover, but didn't actually have them, so this time they fixed the problem.

And this dvd is sold from a respectable dvd store - www.artpopdvd.com - a site that doesn't sell bootlegs such as www.russiandvd.com.

Well you probably know how DVD releases work from Russia, China, Thailand, and Taiwan. For example - when a new dvd comes out, it's always a surprise, especially when they release European movies on their DVDs! Russia and Thailand DVD releases of European films have always been good for me, at least till an American DVD release comes half a decade later!

pro-bassoonist
03-25-09, 11:29 PM
I don't deal with the Russian distributors too much nowadays, so I am not familiar with the contractual limitations on this title for the Russian market, but I could assure you that aside from Tartan (and perhaps Palisades now) no one else was authorized to distribute an English-language version of the film (Thai disc) a few years ago. I doubt much has changed since then.

Pro-B

Rypro 525
03-25-09, 11:42 PM
i have a question for Pro-bassoonist, i noticed in the other thread that you said that the US never aprooved a dvd version of this due to excessive violence, but i just looked it up on IMDB, and apparenlty this movie got an R rating for Perversive Strong Violence....ect, was the original version cut?

pro-bassoonist
03-26-09, 12:58 AM
Rypro:

I am unaware what this R-rating was submitted for - this film did not get a US theatrical run or DVD release (one wasn't even planned AFAK).

Pro-B

Rypro 525
03-26-09, 02:00 AM
Rypro:

I am unaware what this R-rating was submitted for - this film did not get a US theatrical run or DVD release (one wasn't even planned AFAK).

Pro-B
eh, got this from filmratings.com
Title: Dobermann (2000)
Rating: R
Rating Reason: Rated R for pervasive strong violence and language, and for drug use and sexuality.
Distributor: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Alternate Titles: Le Doberman

So in other words (if thats true) that disney or a variation of disney was/is the distributer right?

pro-bassoonist
03-26-09, 02:20 AM
Looks about right - Disney (Buena Vista) had the rights, but the film was never released on this side of the Atlantic. I suppose they got a rating for it anyway.

Pro-B

Rypro 525
03-26-09, 03:05 AM
Also wasnt' that the time (late 99/2000) when all of those school shootings happened? Maybe Disney/miramax didn't feel right releasing an ultra violent/movie that glorifies violence at that time, and i guess never got around to it.

toddly6666
03-26-09, 03:41 AM
Also wasnt' that the time (late 99/2000) when all of those school shootings happened? Maybe Disney/miramax didn't feel right releasing an ultra violent/movie that glorifies violence at that time, and i guess never got around to it.

I think that's also the reason due to Japan's BATTLE ROYALE not getting released in the states....

asianxcore
03-26-09, 07:37 AM
BIG NEWS BIG NEWS BIG NEWS!!!!

ANAMORPHIC DVD, DD 5.1 FRENCH, ENGLISH-SUBTITLED DOBERMANN NOW AVAILABLE!

http://www.artpopdvd.com/DVD/48602.aspx

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost want to check out the film based on how excited you seem about it toddly :)

I'm down for anything with Cassel or Bellucci in it.

Also I'm confused. Is this a LEGIT release?

toddly6666
03-26-09, 07:57 AM
Also I'm confused. Is this a LEGIT release?

Amalgama is a legit Russian DVD company and artpopdvd is known to have only official Russian dvd releases, so it's probably as legit as Russian dvds come...I noticed on the website that the last bunch of new dvds were Monica Bellucci movies as well (dvds from Italy and Russia)...

toddly6666
03-28-09, 02:36 PM
I received the DVD today and reviewed it here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/552418-dobermann-dvd-mini-review.html

toddly6666
04-09-09, 09:03 AM
Here's sort of a mini-review at Twitchfilm of the DVD: http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/jan-kounens-dobermann-finally-gets-a-decent-dvd/

flixtime
08-18-09, 06:42 AM
BUMP

HKFlix is now listing a new DVD release coming out of Singapore. I fully expect it might be sourced from the recent Russian DVD. Of course, as we know, this latest DVD too is likely an unauthorized release. But if you were curious to check out the movie, but didn't want to spring for the Russian DVD, well the Singapore release is certainly a significantly cheaper option.

toddly6666
08-18-09, 09:09 AM
BUMP

HKFlix is now listing a new DVD release coming out of Singapore. I fully expect it might be sourced from the recent Russian DVD. Of course, as we know, this latest DVD too is likely an unauthorized release. But if you were curious to check out the movie, but didn't want to spring for the Russian DVD, well the Singapore release is certainly a significantly cheaper option.

probably a bootleg...I ordered it though to see if it's the same version. And I'll do a review comparison when I get it...

asianxcore
08-19-09, 07:17 PM
Damn, I still need to order the Russian DVD :)

toddly6666
08-22-09, 11:03 PM
I received the HKflix.com DOBERMANN DVD the other day. It's an exact bootleg copy of the Russian DVD, I couldn't believe it. They used the exact same English subtitles, and the video/audio quality is pretty much the same. I liked how HKFLIX put a date of "2008" on the DVD back cover to make it seem that it possiblely came out before the Russian DVD. Funny stuff. I recommend sticking with the Russian DVD.

dablueguy
08-23-09, 12:24 AM
Is the HKFlix version PAL or NTSC?

toddly6666
08-23-09, 05:48 PM
Is the HKFlix version PAL or NTSC?

The HKFLIX bootleg version is NTSC ALL-REGION. The official Russian DVD version is NTSC ALL-REGION too.

dablueguy
08-24-09, 01:00 AM
Cool, been waiting for a cheap version to show domestically. Thanks!

dullboy
08-24-09, 12:53 PM
Toddly, any way to tell if both the Russian and HKFlix discs are dual-layered? Or maybe neither of them are?

toddly6666
08-24-09, 02:09 PM
Toddly, any way to tell if both the Russian and HKFlix discs are dual-layered? Or maybe neither of them are?

I don't know...is there a way to figure that out by looking at them or playing them?

dullboy
08-24-09, 03:19 PM
I know dual-layer discs used to have a golden hue to the play-side, but I don't think that's necessarily so anymore. You can pop it in your computer and look to see how big the file is. If it is over 5 GB, then it is dual-layered (also known as a DVD-9).

dullboy
09-06-09, 02:42 PM
The HKFlix dvd is single-layered.

asianxcore
09-15-09, 01:40 AM
Just won a copy of the Russian DVD on Ebay for $13 shipped.

Finally get to see what all the fuss is about :)

toddly6666
09-15-09, 06:12 AM
On ebay, there are now two bootleg dvd versions getting circulated that copied the Russian dvd! Im surprised it took them this long for those bootleggers to start distributing Dobermann!

asianxcore
09-15-09, 01:35 PM
On ebay, there are now two bootleg dvd versions getting circulated that copied the Russian dvd! Im surprised it took them this long for those bootleggers to start distributing Dobermann!

Two other versions on top of the release that HKFlix is selling I assume?

Is it the two with the covers that have just Cassel on them?

toddly6666
09-15-09, 04:00 PM
Two other versions on top of the release that HKFlix is selling I assume?

Is it the two with the covers that have just Cassel on them?

just these two:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dobermann-DVD-Official-all-region-English-Subs_W0QQitemZ290339522747QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item43999588bb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOBERMANN-French-Action-English-sub-DVD-NEW_W0QQitemZ260476865594QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item3ca5a18c3a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The other one is the old Hong Kong crappy quality version. It's an official version too, but it's pan and scan and worse than VHS quality:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dobermann-DVD-Cassel-Bellucci-English-Subtitles_W0QQitemZ380159038324QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item58833e9374&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

asianxcore
09-16-09, 05:06 PM
Funny thing is something eventually is going to end up buying one of those.

I contacted the seller I won the Russian DVD off of and he had mentioned that Art Pop was one of their suppliers, hence why their Ebay Store has lots of what they carry on their site.

toddly6666
09-17-09, 04:33 PM
Funny thing is something eventually is going to end up buying one of those.

I contacted the seller I won the Russian DVD off of and he had mentioned that Art Pop was one of their suppliers, hence why their Ebay Store has lots of what they carry on their site.

I love Artpop DVD - they have been a great replacement for xploiteddvd.com

asianxcore
09-23-09, 04:21 PM
I love Artpop DVD - they have been a great replacement for xploiteddvd.com

So I got the DVD from the seller I spoke of on Ebay (the one who said ArtPop is their supplier). Well, he wasn't joking :)

I got the DVD today and it was mailed from ArtPopDVD.com

toddly6666
09-23-09, 09:56 PM
So I got the DVD from the seller I spoke of on Ebay (the one who said ArtPop is their supplier). Well, he wasn't joking :)

I got the DVD today and it was mailed from ArtPopDVD.com

well...did you enjoy the film after all this anticipation of it?

asianxcore
09-24-09, 01:27 PM
well...did you enjoy the film after all this anticipation of it?

Haven't had the time to watch it yet, but hopefully I can convince my g/f to watch it with me soon.

toddly6666
09-24-09, 02:05 PM
Haven't had the time to watch it yet, but hopefully I can convince my g/f to watch it with me soon.

Why would you want to convince your g/f to watch it? Unless she is into violence, as well as violence to women, I don't recommend it to the ladies...

asianxcore
09-25-09, 02:28 PM
Why would you want to convince your g/f to watch it? Unless she is into violence, as well as violence to women, I don't recommend it to the ladies...

She enjoys the random action-flick here and there :) (She really liked Shoot Em' Up)

She's definitely not into violence to women, but understands that my favorite genres (Exploitation/Horror) seem to revel in it. Though the film is not entirely about violence against women, she enjoyed Irreversible and owns a copy of it.

I'll probably watch it on my own once I get a chance this weekend.

bmvtoys
10-06-09, 10:44 PM
The cover with Vincent holding his gun up is a different version than the Russian one. The subs are really nice and the video is incredibly vibrant-

b

toddly6666
10-06-09, 11:20 PM
The cover with Vincent holding his gun up is a different version than the Russian one. The subs are really nice and the video is incredibly vibrant-

b

What's different about the two? Do you have both? The Russian version has perfect English subs and the video is vibrant as well. I'll buy this version too and make a comparison.

bmvtoys
10-07-09, 12:21 PM
From what i understand the source of the 2nd version is the blu-ray downgraded, but my info could be wrong-

b

toddly6666
10-07-09, 01:46 PM
That would be sweet if this 2nd version used a combination of the French blu-ray and the English subtitles from the Russian DVD. But it's always best to support legit - so I would stick with the Russian DVD...

toddly6666
10-09-09, 01:12 AM

b

I just bought this new bootleg to make a comparison for everyone.

(http://cgi.ebay.com/DOBERMANN-French-Action-English-sub-DVD-NEW_W0QQitemZ260476865594QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item3ca5a18c3a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

This second dvd bootleg is bad. The english subtitles are from the old Hong Kong dvd subtitles, which means the English subtites are poorly translated - the subtitles dont time well with the audio and there is a portion of the movie that this dvd does not subtitle. The anamorphic video looks exactly the same as the Official Russian dvd. And the DD 5.1 audio didnt sound as good. So overall, the Russian dvd is the best choice.

Russian Dobermann dvd (official legal version):
VIDEO: 8.5
AUDIO: 9
ENGLISH SUBTITLES: 10

HKFLIX Dobermann dvd (1st bootleg version):
same as above

Vincent Cassell cover Dobermann dvd (2nd bootleg version):
VIDEO: 8.5
AUDIO: 8
ENGLISH SUBTITLES: 5

Choking-Hazard
10-20-09, 10:42 AM
While Dobermann didn't get a full theatrical release, it did get some festival showings stateside. I saw it in NYC at the first (and only?) Yahoo film festival or some festival Yahoo sponsored. I had only heard of Kounen back then and as added bonus they screened Dernier Chaperon Rouge along with Dobermann..

toddly6666
10-20-09, 11:36 AM
While Dobermann didn't get a full theatrical release, it did get some festival showings stateside. I saw it in NYC at the first (and only?) Yahoo film festival or some festival Yahoo sponsored. I had only heard of Kounen back then and as added bonus they screened Dernier Chaperon Rouge along with Dobermann..

That's cool! I would have loved to see this film in the theater!

asianxcore
11-09-09, 03:04 AM
Finally watched the Amalgama release of the film I bought not too long ago.

So much fun. Loved the cast of characters. The Abbot was my favorite and the scene involving:

him putting a grenade into the motorcyclist's helmet was pretty rad.

Glad I bought this.

toddly6666
11-09-09, 09:03 AM
Finally watched the Amalgama release of the film I bought not too long ago.

So much fun. Loved the cast of characters. The Abbot was my favorite and the scene involving:

him putting a grenade into the motorcyclist's helmet was pretty rad.

Glad I bought this.

I'm glad you liked it! One of my favorite scenes is Monica Bellucci versus the cop, when she "turns up the volume."

DirkUSA
11-11-09, 09:21 AM
I am sooooo tempted to buy the French Blu-ray.

Dirk

asianxcore
11-11-09, 02:14 PM
I am sooooo tempted to buy the French Blu-ray.

Dirk

After watching the film for the first time recently, I'm thinking about it too.

I also don't speak French :lol:

DirkUSA
11-12-09, 03:03 PM
After watching the film for the first time recently, I'm thinking about it too.

I also don't speak French :lol:

I don't speak French either.

toddly6666
11-12-09, 03:29 PM
The Blu ray is sold for 17 Euros at amazon.fr (not including shipping)...;)