Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm an Idiot! - 360

Old 08-10-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm an Idiot! - 360

I know you always here about the jokes of "it's not working only to find out it wasn't plugged in". Mine is about the same.

We just got a new set (40" Sony LCD) for the liveing room and a Blu-Ray player. In another week two new Dish receivers for HD. I've got the 360 and DVD hooked to the Mits 48" RPTV. I was looking in the back of the set to figure on where my connections were going and did a double take on the 360. I had the component running to the "normal" component, not the DTV component. In other words I've been playing most of the games in 480i and not 1080i!!!

I made the change and put in Unreal lll and what a difference. Talk about dazzed & confused. What a (smack the forehead) idiot!

Kenny J - Buzz
Old 08-10-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your Mits not show the resolution when you change inputs?
Old 08-10-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
48" RPTV? I doubt it shows the resolution. Sounds like an older set.

Question is, how long did you play like that? I had one of those moments a few weeks back. My TV got this bluish tint to it and wouldn't seem to go away. Figured it was the 360 going out again, so I just played as is for a few days. Finally I turned on my Wii and realized it was doing the same thing. One of the component plugs had come out for some reason.
Old 08-10-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
No it doesn't show the resolution unless you hit the video button.

Yea it's a older RPTV, the year Mits added the DVI input. We've basiclly used it for gaming and movies only. Last year I took the back off and did a though cleaning and today fine tuned it with the 64 point convergence. Even standard DVD's looked much better. I'll get my DVi-to_HDMI adapters this week and already have a HDMI switch box.

Unreal lll was just super and I could see a bit more detail in COD4. I'm almost afraid to slide in Bioshock in because I already would like to play it again. I noticed some playing GOW the other night so that may be a good excuse. BIG DUMMY!!

Kenny J - Buzz
Old 08-10-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
48" RPTV? I doubt it shows the resolution. Sounds like an older set.

Question is, how long did you play like that? I had one of those moments a few weeks back. My TV got this bluish tint to it and wouldn't seem to go away. Figured it was the 360 going out again, so I just played as is for a few days. Finally I turned on my Wii and realized it was doing the same thing. One of the component plugs had come out for some reason.
Slightly OT but when I first got my 42" Panasonic HDTV a couple of years ago, the first movie I watched was Batman Begins. Watched the entire film with an ugly green tint, thinking that's what it was supposed to look like in HD. A few days later, I realized I hadn't hooked up the component cables correctly. Needless to say, movies looked MUCH better after that.

Old 08-10-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I had something similar. Crap, my dvd player isn't working, I can't hear dialog. Do I have the commentary track on? My center speaker wire was loose.
When setting up my HDA1, everything was wacky colored, me and the service guy were both trying everything and scratching our heads. Turns out I had it on RGB instead of YPbPr or whatever.
Sometimes you miss the forest for the trees
Old 08-10-08, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know that little switch on the xbox component cables? Yeah, it took me a few days to remember that was there when I upgraded from SDTV to HDTV.
Old 08-11-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did the same sort of thing on my brother's Mitsubishi RPTV hooked everything up expecting to wow him with the amazing graphics on my new 360 (this was a couple years back) turn it on and It looks like complete dog shit. So I said "what the fuck is wrong with your TV?" He assured me nothing was wrong so I played it like that for a couple hours then when it was time to head home I unhooked the video cable from the 360 and noticed I had accidently flipped the switch to SDTV
Old 08-11-08, 03:26 PM
tpc

Don't feel too bad... I once spent 800 bucks rebuilding a computer trying to find a problem, only to discover that I just had a faulty mouse.