Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why No Love for "Superman Returns?"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. It's just an honest question.

I've never really been a big Superman guy and was born in the early 80's so I didn't grow up with the original films like some here. But I thought the movie was enjoyable.

But I get the impression that many didn't like it, and I was just curious as to why? I thought it was visually stunning, and having rented the first two films (which I liked, as well), the director of this "remake" seemed to really respect the original films and attempted to bridge them in a way that appeared tastefully executed.

Was it Routh? Spacey? The script? The fact that--spoiler...

...Superman has a kid?

The hype was huge, and it seemed that people were really looking forward to it. But I get the impression that no one is dying for a sequel, and even after 30+ years, a new Superman movie at the box office didn't do as well as many probably hoped.

So what's the deal?
Old 08-06-08, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't like Spacey at all and it all came off way too cartoony. 2 hrs and 34 minutes as well?!? no thanks. If they cut a bunch of stuff out it would have been much better. Just a very average film.
Old 08-06-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I'm a Batman fan in regards to comic book films, and TDK was 2 and a half hours, as well.
Old 08-06-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because it's SOOOOO boring. It put me sleep half way.
Old 08-06-08, 02:16 PM
Banned

Yeah, but TDK had no filler, at all. None. Superman Returns was quite the opposite.
Old 08-06-08, 02:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Perhaps culturally we are more in a "Batman" mood as a country. I think the Box Office proves it.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved it. As far as Superhero movies go I'd rank it after Dark Knight, Batman Begins and Spidey 2. Sure, it had its flaws but I thought it was a great re-launch for the franchise. I can't wait for a sequal. I know its in development hell right now but I hope it happens.

Then again, I know I'm in the minority when I say I liked it.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I enjoyed it the first time I saw it, though I always thought Superman flying looked kind of goofy.

It is too long for its own good, though. And yet the plot with Luther is rushed.
Old 08-06-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Perhaps culturally we are more in a "Batman" mood as a country. I think the Box Office proves it.
I'm going to go a little off topic right now:

Funny you should say that. I was having a conversation with my boss about how the country reacts to the economy. If the economy is doing well and jobs are good people tend to move towards comedies and lighter movies. If the economy is in a down time we tend to go for the darker movies. Right now the economy is in a rut and we're flocking to see The Dark Knight. My boss says that he read that the best and most profitable horror movies were released when we were in a recession. I have yet to do my own research on it but I did think its quite interesting.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 08-06-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I loved it. Sure, it could've been trimmed in a few spots, but it was still a worthy attempt to resurrect a fading franchise.
Old 08-06-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
I loved it too. Thought it was just perfect. Make way for all the haters. "Kill the kid!", "Singer ruined it", "Superman was a stalker", "Bosworth was miscast".....
Old 08-06-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For me, it was totally ruined by Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. She was miscast, and she was terrible to boot. I wasn't much more impressed with Spacey as Luthor.

Routh was a suitable Superman, and I didn't mind the kid angle.
Old 08-06-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Superkid.

Spacey's phoned-in Luthor.

Supes lifts a HUGE slab of Kryptonite and hurls it into space right after he almost drowned from being stabbed with a little sliver of it? Psshhh...

Super-stalker? He's like a rapist in waiting watching Lois and her family at home.

It's boring. Aside from a couple cool action scenes it's mostly talk, talk, talk. Hell, even the lame bank robbery scene was added after filming wrapped just to give the film some kind of boost.

Routh, while good, could have been replaced with a cardboard cutout and it might have taken me a while to notice.
Old 08-06-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
There's so much to equally love and be disappointed by in that movie... and I say that as a HUGE Superman fan.

I liked Routh in the role (although he still looked a bit young), but the script didn't trust the character enough to give him any meaningful dialogue as Superman (most of the time when he was in costome, he BARELY spoke). Bryan Singer and the writers spent ENTIRELY too much time revering the first movie that they didn't give their own film enough time to find a voice of its own; hence it feels very much so like a retread (up to and INCLUDING Lex Luthor having pretty much the exact same master plan as before). Parker Posey was awful.

I actually *DID* like the inclusion of Superman having a son, as it gave the film something unique that lent a new spin to the Superman legend, but the filmmakers have opened a can of worms which will SEVERELY hamper the Superman - Lois - Clark dynamic in the future.

And yeah, there were some serious pacing issues going on here. The film felt sluggish throughout its running time. It was too mopey, too cheerless, too dark (both in tone and in appearance), and, at times, too creepy.

On the other hand, the plane rescue sequence is THE hands-on best "pure superhero" sequence ever filmed. Better than anything in Batman Begins, TDK, Iron Man, any Spider-Man or X-Men movie, etc. Tell me you didn't want to stand up and cheer when he landed that plane in the baseball stadium (shamelessly pulling at the Americana strings there, but masterfully done) and I'll say you have no heart.

So yeah... mixed. The next film really needs to stand apart from SUPERMAN RETURNS as its own entity, with a new adversary or adversaries, a compelling storyline that balances character arcs with pulse-pounding action sequences, and a cheerful, uplifting story balanced with suspense and Earth-in-the-balance danger.

Also, more Peta Wilson.
Old 08-06-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The casting, the script, the pacing. It had a lot of problems. I still think it's enjoyable at times, but it just doesn't get over the "hump" to become the really great superhero movie it should have been.

I don't always agree with Ebert, but I do agree with his write-up on Superman Returns...

"There is I suppose a certain bottom line of competence in "Superman Returns," and superhero fans will want to see the movie just for its effects, its plot outrages and its moments of humor. But when the hero, his alter ego, his girlfriend and the villain all seem to lack any joy in being themselves, why should we feel joy at watching them?"
Link: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/.../60606009/1023
Old 08-06-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser

On the other hand, the plane rescue sequence is THE hands-on best "pure superhero" sequence ever filmed. Better than anything in Batman Begins, TDK, Iron Man, any Spider-Man or X-Men movie, etc. Tell me you didn't want to stand up and cheer when he landed that plane in the baseball stadium (shamelessly pulling at the Americana strings there, but masterfully done) and I'll say you have no heart.
Absolutely! Agree 100%. That scene raises my pulse every time. And it still puts me on the edge of my seat. After seeing it 5 times.
Old 08-06-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I have to agree with the majority. While I enjoyed it, Kate Bosworth was horribly miscast. Supes flying a meteor sized piece of kryptonite while being incapacitated by a piece the size of a quarter? Come on, Kryptonite is a weakness, you can't have it both ways. Also as a Smallville fan, Kevin Spacey's Lex paled in comparison to Michael Rosenbaum's. Spacey was part phoning it in and part doing his best Hackman impression.

While Routh didn't give the most dynamic performance, I think he worked well enough. In fact, I'd say scrap everything but him for the sequel. Oh, and bring back the big 'S' on the costume.

the plane rescue sequence is THE hands-on best "pure superhero" sequence ever filmed
Also agree with this completely. Very riveting scene.
Old 08-06-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally, I enjoyed the film. It was the first time I ever really understood the appeal of the character and identified with him.

However, I can see a few aspects that people may not like about it. It starts with Superman being somewhat selfish by leaving earth where is much needed to go a pretty futile self discovery walkabout.

Add to that Luthor’s land grab plan which just seemed to be a re-tread of the his plan from the first movie. Something more fresh would have been nice.

Plus it is hard to figure out where it fits in the series. Supposedly after Superman II?!?! But III and IV are discarded?? (As they should be of course). But that just makes it more confusing. With such a long gap between movies, it just feels very disjointed. A total reboot of the series would have made more sense (ala Batman Begins.)

Some people hated the idea of the kid. Personally, it didn’t bother me and I thought it fit well with the overall theme of the movie: Superman’s isolation.
Old 08-06-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought it was extremely mediocre for all the reasons others have already mentioned. Didn't someone say in another thread that Superman doesn't throw a single punch? While the plane sequence was riveting, it's sad that the big action set pieces in the film make poor use of Superman's abilities. There's just very little to cheer for in the movie, and the use of Luthor AGAIN was stupid. The kid would probably be my biggest beef though.

As far as society today just being more in the mood for the darkness of Batman versus Superman, I don't think that's the case. In fact, I think the audience wanted to see a bright, colorful, larger then life Superman be heroic. Superman Returns just didn't deliver that.
Old 08-06-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
On the other hand, the plane rescue sequence is THE hands-on best "pure superhero" sequence ever filmed.
although i thought the overall movie was average, i will agree with this sentiment. that sequence was absolutely fantastic. unfortunately, the rest of the movie is just not that notable.
Old 08-06-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Singer tried too hard to make a "Richard Donner" Superman movie. He should have have made his own.
Old 08-06-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- Miscasting, just about everyone in the movie was miscast.

- Avoiding the "reboot" and trying to tie it to the other films but with a completely different tone and feel

- The "super kid"

- Actors acting in different movies, you got hammy cartoonish performances and extremely mopey ones

- It's a mopey dreary, boring movie

- The Jesus stuff, playing up the jesus stuff to the point where every ten minutes you get slapped in the face with some ham fisted reference to it.
Old 08-06-08, 03:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Brandon Routh was miscast.

He didn't "fit" as the Man of Steel as much as Reeve.
Old 08-06-08, 03:41 PM

I remember walking out of the theater after seeing this movie and remarking to my friend that we pretty much sat through a bunch of "nothing" for 2.5 hrs. He agreed. It was terrible. And I like Superman.
Old 08-06-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Katie Holmes was to Batman Begins what Kate Bosworth was to Superman Returns ...terribly miscast.

Oh, and has anyone mentioned it was terribly BORING?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.