Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So You Think You Can Dance - "Top 4: The Finals" (8/6-7/08)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will win Season 4 of SYTYCD?
Joshua Allen
45.45%
Stephen "Twitch" Boss
18.18%
Courtney Galiano
9.09%
Katee Shean
27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 09:21 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Your Top 4 Perform - 2 hours - 8/7c
In Part 1 of the two-part Season 4 finale, the remaining four dancers---Joshua Allen, Twitch Boss, Courtney Galiano and Katee Shean---perform.

Your Results - 2 hours - 8/7c
In the fourth-season finale, a winner is chosen from the remaining four: Joshua Allen; Twitch Boss; Courtney Galiano; and Katee Shean. Also: The Jonas Brothers sing "Burnin' Up"; the cast of Cirque du Soleil's "CRISS ANGEL Believe" perform "Homage to the Rabbits."

... and for those who want to know the dances:

Spoiler:

* Twitch and Courtney - Hip hop by Napoleon and Tabitha
* Joshua and Katee - Lyrical by Wade Robeson
* Courtney and Katee - Broadway by Tyce DiOrio
* Twitch and Joshua - Russian Trepak by Yuri Song
* Twitch and Katee - Foxtrot by Tony Meredith and Melanie LaPatin
* Courtney and Joshua - Jive by Jason Gilkinson
* Top 4 Routine by Mia Micheals

Solo order: Courtney, Twitch, Katee, and Josh

August 7 results episode dances and guests (no results):

Spoiler:
* Mary Murphy and Dmitry do a Samba
* Nigel Lythgoe tap dances with the Debbie Allen Academy Dancers
* The Jonas Brothers will perform “Burnin’ Up”
* Dancers will perform “Homage to the Rabbits” from Criss Angel’s Believe choreographed by Wade Robeson.
* Dancers from past seasons will perform (including: Thayne, Jaimie, Ivan, Benji, Melody, Lauren, Dominic, Hok, Chelsea, Kourtni, Gev, Dima, Comfort)

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-06-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-06-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Should be better than last year's disappointing finale.
Old 08-06-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming no one collapses, should be great I think Josh or Katee are going to take it all - Can't wait!
Old 08-06-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely Josh or Katee will take it. I think Courtney has a slim chance of causing a major upset though. Twitch's chances of winning is zero.
Old 08-06-08, 10:02 AM

I think that this is the way that it will go...

Twitch will be eliminated first, then Courtney, then Katee with Joshua taking the crown this season.
Old 08-06-08, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranger
Should be better than last year's disappointing finale.
Last year's finale was only disappointing because the Top 6 was the best week in the history of the show.
Old 08-06-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler:
Wade finally comes back and look who he choreographs for? Obvious here who they want to win!
Old 08-06-08, 12:00 PM

Since Will got eliminated I've been pulling for Katee, but I figure Joshua is a lock. He's even been getting the underdog "no formal training" bump from the judges, backing away from their previous stance that he has had more training than he's said.

Though I don't think at this point what they do has much bearing on the results, Katie and Twitch's dance seems to be steering it towards a Joshua win.
Old 08-06-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matta
Last year's finale was only disappointing because the Top 6 was the best week in the history of the show.
I just hope this year they crown the winner within time to get reaction etc. Last year it was literally "and the winner is SABRA!" Confetti - OVER. It was so anticlimactic that I couldn't believe it...it would be if Idol just announced the winner and skipped the final winner performance. I hope they remedy that with this year's finale for SYTYCD. Either way, looking forward to the tour - got 18th row floor tix!
Old 08-06-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, those leaps by Joshua during the Russian number were INSANE. How does a little guy jump that high?
Old 08-06-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After watching the final four dance tonight, I'm more pissed that Chelsie got the boot while Courtney made it to this week's dance-off. Katee out-danced Courtney in every dance, both with the dances with guys and with the number with Courtney. Courtney was just struggling to keep up the entire night, and it showed on the stage. I have no idea what happen with that lift between Joshua and Courtney (the director chose to show us Twitch and Katee's well executed lift, but Nigel called J/C on it).

The judges did their best to pimp Twitch for the crown, and Joshua didn't help things with a pedestrian jive that was littered with non-jive elements since neither he nor Courtney could sustain the leg snaps you need in the jive throughout the dance.

Anyhow, it's a popularity contest at this point, and it's between Joshua and Twitch, although Katee probably deserves second place for her consistent technical prowess week-in, week-out but she'll be penalized for not having a great on-screen personality throughout the season. Twitch will probably win on sheer personality and jidges pimpage, though I'd root for Joshua to pull out the win.

Last edited by Patman; 08-06-08 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-06-08, 09:32 PM

i think Katee or Joshua will win, Katee it the best
Old 08-06-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Wow, those leaps by Joshua during the Russian number were INSANE. How does a little guy jump that high?
I know, amazing. I didn't know he was THAT good. Why the heck doesn't he do those for his solos? The trepak was great, but the pant color was so distracting.

Girls' broadway was terrible.

Jive, like the judges said, didn't feel right. I blame it on the shoes. But people told me that the two looked really tired.

Was that supposed to be a waltz or foxtrot? It was good.

Group dance sucked.

Hip-hop was great.

Lyrical was ok, a little boring.

Voted for Courtney. I hope she'll get at least third place. I think it's close between Joshua and Twitch, but Joshua will win. I'm hoping Katee will be fourth, my humble opinion is that she's the weakest of the four.
Old 08-06-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Beats the hell out of me, it's not like he's had any training.
Old 08-07-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know, amazing. I didn't know he was THAT good. Why the heck doesn't he do those for his solos? The trepak was great, but the pant color was so distracting.
The sad part is that everyone is wowed by the high leaps (which were amazing), but almost no one is impressed by the low floor work, which is far more difficult, and yet Twitch made it look effortless (and I used to perform that many years ago, so I know from experience how difficult it is). I'm just glad that Nigel took the time to point it out.

I guess it's no secret (based on the poll ) that I want Twitch to win. I just believe he has demonstrated the most growth, and is by far the most entertaining of the four to watch.
Old 08-07-08, 07:10 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
As long as COurtney doesn't win, i'm happy. I don't hate her like Comfort, i just feel she is a notch below the others

I feel Joshua will win
Old 08-07-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's funny how everyone wants someone different to win. Really split. I like Katee and I like Joshua. Twitch has started to iritate me lately & Courtney is just nice to look at.

Funny how they put the dances that require the most energy (foxtrot & jive) as the last ones. I'm sure they're pretty worn out by then.
Old 08-07-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad

I guess it's no secret (based on the poll ) that I want Twitch to win. I just believe he has demonstrated the most growth, and is by far the most entertaining of the four to watch.
You're not the only one. I've been a Twitch fan since audition time last year and he's improved so much since then.

I've personally never felt the Joshua love. There is never any flow to his solos and if you take out his leaps they look amateurish at best.
Old 08-07-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Twitch fan here as well but I really want Katee to win. Josh always looks like he's counting his steps or looking for his mark to me. I never liked Courtney except in th dance that she did with Mark last week.
Old 08-07-08, 08:41 AM

Dial Idol has these results:

Spoiler:
Joshua - 13.1 (3.86 MoE) [1-2]
Twitch - 10.52 (3.917 MoE)[1-2]

Katee - 4.49 (4.047 MoE) [3-4]
Courtney - 1.185 (4.116 MoE) [3-4]

I was really impressed last night. They all did great.

I was a little disappointed with the last two dances (the jive and the group dance), but I really liked the other dances.

Hands down Joshua will win... but Twitch really gave him a run for it.

Katee and Courtney, thanks for playing.
Old 08-07-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to call BS on the "no formal training" pimping on Joshua.
In his bio section with Cat, there was a pic of him (or two) in a dance studio at a young age. He even said he had to choose between sports and dance.
Old 08-07-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Yeah, I'm really not digging the whole no formal training thing when it comes to Joshua. There have been several times where it has been shown otherwise, just like in his interview.

As for who I want to win, I've got to go with Katee. She has been the most consistent performer out there. There has been nothing that she can't do, and not just do but excel at. I always go back to that routine she did with Will, which was simply amazing. I just can't imagine another girl being able to pull it off. To be honest, I don't think another guy besides Will could have pulled it off either.

Joshua and Courtney seriously looked like they were going to die during the middle of their jive. It was starting to get a little painful. And I'm happy the two were called out for that bad lift during the group number. Even though they didn't show it too much initially, I remember it really sticking out to me how much higher and straighter Katee was. The replay made it even more painfully obvious.

Was I the only one who had some major issues with the camera work this ep? There were a lot of times, like in the lyrical dance, that I felt the camera was too close, not giving us a chance to fully see the dancers and let things breathe a little bit. And in the group performance, Joshua was stuck in the shadows most of the time; you couldn't even see him. Why did Twitch stand out to Mary in the final performance? Probably because he spent much of the time right in front of the judges, and we as viewers got the most close-ups of Twitch as well.

And let's talk about that final group performance. Was I the only one who really liked it? I was actually surprised that I ended up rewinding it and watching it again. Not something I do very often.

When I first started watching this show in season 2, I was pretty iffy about Cat, but I have now really grown to love her. I really think she did a great job with this last ep, especially considering she was given extra duties as an interviewer.

Can't wait for results!

Last edited by clckworang; 08-07-08 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
I have to call BS on the "no formal training" pimping on Joshua.
In his bio section with Cat, there was a pic of him (or two) in a dance studio at a young age. He even said he had to choose between sports and dance.
I remember clearly the part in the interview where Josh said that he had to do chores around the studio so that he could stay there and dance.

But you can also throw in the argument that because he was a football player and a track star that he took dance to increase his stamina, flexibility, and whatever benefits football players get out of dancing.

He might not have had award winning training from great choreographers and noted dancers (like Will... "I go ahead and just name names." ), but to say he's had no "real" formal training might or might not be correct.
Old 08-07-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Girls' broadway was terrible.
I have to agree. Not only were they out of sync, but the choreography was crap. I mean they billed the song as "Rufus Wainwright" but the track was instrumental? (Incidentally, "The Trolley Song" was recorded live at Carnegie Hall - there is no studio track. So somehow they excised his vocal track or simply lied about the music altogether). The costumes we abysmal as well. I think the only reason anyone could say anything redeeming about the number was that the editors were clever enough to edit the camera angles to eradicate how awful the number/performance really was. There were certainly better ways to showcase these dancers in a two woman setting (HELLO?!?! A CHICAGO number anyone!?!?!) If the women end up at the bottom, this number is truly to blame.
Old 08-07-08, 10:03 AM
Cool New Member

I Would Say With The Skills And Abilities Joshaua Should Win .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.