Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Dr. Strangelove DVD?

wilky61
08-06-08, 06:32 AM
I was looking at the DVD Beaver page for the movie because I have the old one-discer from 1998 that changes aspect ratios from scene-to-scene, which is goddamn ridiculous. But according to DVD Beaver the 2-disc SE is dark as hell and doesn't really look any better:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/drstrangelove5.htm

Anybody who owns the 2-disc SE can tell me how satisfied they are with how their movie looks? I'm not sure this would be an upgrade in video transfer...?

wilky61
08-06-08, 12:19 PM
Bump. :(

Rizor
08-06-08, 12:32 PM
While the screencaps do look pretty dark compared to the others, I can't say I had a problem with the presentation on the 2-Disc version. I didn't think it looked particularly dark when I viewed it nor did it detract from the experience of watching the film.

obscurelabel
08-06-08, 01:05 PM
The SE is beautifully rendered, in my opinion. At no point did I think that it was too dark. The biggest problem is that the framing of the 1.66:1 image may be a bit "high" (more masked off at the bottom of the 35mm exposed frame than the top). This was discussed with screencaps over at HTF some time ago. Still, I think this is the best that Dr. S has looked on DVD.

macnorton
08-06-08, 01:39 PM
I have to agree with the two posters above me, it looks fine when I watch it.

speedy1961
08-06-08, 02:15 PM
No problems with mine and title is on sale at Best Buy next week IIRC.

wilky61
08-06-08, 02:23 PM
No problems with mine and title is on sale at Best Buy next week IIRC.

You're the man, speedy. I wouldn't have noticed that. :up:
Thanks for the insight everyone.

Richard Malloy
08-06-08, 02:57 PM
I do believe I saw a recent announcement of an upcoming Blu-ray release. If you've gone HD, I'd rent the SE-DVD and wait for the BD.

wloner
08-06-08, 08:04 PM
Has anyone else noticed 2 bad edit points on the 40th Anniversary SE of DS ?

1. @38:09 - In the scene where the Russian ambassador is caught with the camera in the war room: after the line "That's a damn lie. I saw him with my own eyes." In the next line: "Mister >>[Amb...leman]<< this is outrageous. I have never heard of such behavior in the war room before!" there is an odd audio edit that sounds like the word "ambassador" has been replaced with part of the word "gentlemen."

2. @39:52 - There is a film source "skip" where some frames appear to repeat when Peter Sellars is seated on the couch folding the foil gum wrapper.

If Kubrick were alive he would never have allowed such bad quality control to pass without fixing it.

And for that matter, why is the disclaimer before the Columbia logo now back in the film ? Kubrick presumably approved it's removal for the laserdisc release years ago.

rennervision
08-07-08, 02:53 PM
I've never understood what the OAR is supposed to be for this film. I own a DVD that says it's in widescreen, but before it begins it gives that "formatted to fit your TV" disclaimer.

PatrickMcCart
08-07-08, 06:19 PM
Original prints were marked to be projected at 1.66:1.