Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sarah Polley's AWAY FROM HER

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally just rented this film and it's a shame that this film didn't get more recognition. This film is important, entertaining, and very touching. I think it certainly deserved Best Director and Best Picture nominations as well. I liked this film as much as Juno and I liked it more than all those other big films that got more recognition (Atonement, No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton, There Will Be Blood). This is probably the best movie about "old people" love, certainly not as sappy/cheesy/depressing as The Notebook...I hope that Sarah Polley directs more movies.

Did anyone else really love this film? For people that have putting off renting it (as I had done, because AWAY FROM HER seems like that type of movie that you "have to be in the mood for"), go out and rent it right away!

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-05-08 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 11:22 PM

Bought it awhile back because of the buzz surrounding it at the time. It looked good, and your comments make me want to run and get it, lol.

Maybe I'll pop it in the player soon.
Old 08-04-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Impawards pics don't show up here.
Old 08-04-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
wasnt julie christie or someone in the film nominated for an oscar.
that is recognition.
Old 08-04-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously, enough with the Impawards shit. Use photobucket already.
Old 08-05-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whotony
wasnt julie christie or someone in the film nominated for an oscar.
that is recognition.
Julie Christie got a Best Actress nom, but lost to Marion Cotillard (who deserved it).

And Sarah Polley, the film's director, wrote the film and got an Adapted Screenplay nom, but lost to No Country for Old Men (which didn't deserve to win).
Old 08-05-08, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Julie Christie got a Best Actress nom, but lost to Marion Cotillard (who deserved it).

And Sarah Polley, the film's director, wrote the film and got an Adapted Screenplay nom, but lost to No Country for Old Men (which didn't deserve to win).
agreed, and i love ncfom. I am currently reading the book, and its shocking how most of the book that ive read so far are just like the moive, without any real major changes thus far. read the 'coin flip' part yesterday, almost word for word and shot for shot like the movie.
Old 08-05-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I missed my chance to see Away From Her in the theater but we got it on DVD the day it came out last September. Incredible film, and it's one that goes to show how broken the Oscar nomination process is.

How films like Juno, Atonement and Michael Clayton (which I liked BTW) got nominated but this didn't is very telling. Also, as good as Christie was, Gordon Pinsent absolutely nailed the role and should have been nominated as well.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-05-08 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-05-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Aside from a few minor flaws, I loved this and, man, did it emotionally destroy me for a good couple of days.
Old 08-05-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gordon Pinsent was quietly awesome...who is this guy. What's his "famous" movie if he has any?

So far, my favorite Sarah Polley films have been her "firsts": I love her first acting movie - Adventures of Baron Manchausen. And I love her first directorial movie - Away From Her.
Old 08-05-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Gordon Pinsent was quietly awesome...who is this guy. What's his "famous" movie if he has any?
I thought Pinsent deserved more attention for his performance than Christie got (who was also great).

Pinsent is a veteran Canadian actor... you'd see him in many Canadian films, TV shows and mini-series. He's a solid veteran actor. The most mainstream film he's done is probably The Shipping News.
Old 08-05-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very good, under-appreciated movie. Sarah Polley shows a lot of promise as a director.
Old 08-05-08, 04:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i rented it today bc of this thread. let you know sometime what i think...