Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy - why dvd on sale online, dont ring up as the sale price in-store?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know why when best buy put a dvd on sale online, why dont it ring up as the sale price in-store?
thanks
Old 08-03-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I've seen this happen far more often at Circuit City than at Best Buy. Best Buy does have online only sales from time to time.
Old 08-04-08, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Online prices often are not the same as the in store prices. Online sales are separate & not usually honored in store since they are not in competition with themselves.
Old 08-04-08, 09:55 PM

this didnt say online only,
Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8847705&st=Burn+Notice+&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1843194
Old 08-05-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
You can always buy it online for in-store pickup
Old 08-05-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
Best Buy does have online only sales from time to time.
I've never had a problem having them pricematch their online prices.
Old 08-05-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems to be very YMMV on whether or not they'll PM BB.com. Easiest thing is to just order for in-store pickup. Of course, you have to wait on their slow-as-molasses system for your order to be processed and ready for pickup. So don't expect to click and leave.

If you need it faster, you should take a printout of the page to the store because sometimes even their in-store kiosks don't reflect the same BB.com information you see at home. Of course, there is no guarantee the cashier or manager will honor this approach.
Old 08-05-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242

If you need it faster, you should take a printout of the page to the store because sometimes even their in-store kiosks don't reflect the same BB.com information you see at home. Of course, there is no guarantee the cashier or manager will honor this approach.
Didn't they get sued for this? Do they still have a different internal website?
Old 08-05-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Oh, maybe, I haven't really kept up with it. I know it was happening, maybe it's resolved now.
Old 08-05-08, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lacubs
this didnt say online only,
Code:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8847705&st=Burn+Notice+&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1843194

That really doesn't matter. Most of the time they won't honor it. Most stores won't. Barnes & Noble won't. Borders won't. Walmart won't. The list goes on.
Old 08-05-08, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Yes, the intranet is different from the internet, for those few who might not know. What they were doing was folks were coming in with prices from the internet site, but the store employees would refer them to the store's intranet site. So, to fix that they just most of the time don't honor internet prices at all. It depends on the store, of course. You could have a really nice (or clueless) manager who will do it.
Old 08-05-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlissa76
That really doesn't matter. Most of the time they won't honor it. Most stores won't. Barnes & Noble won't. Borders won't. Walmart won't. The list goes on.
Right, the only difference here is that Bestbuy.com allows you in-store pickup.
Old 08-05-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Easiest thing is to just order for in-store pickup. Of course, you have to wait on their slow-as-molasses system for your order to be processed and ready for pickup. So don't expect to click and leave
Also, I've seen reports on here that a store needs to have at least three copies of a movie for it to show as available online. That seemed to be the case last week with Dark City ... no stores around here showed it as in-stock, but the one I went to had two copies. The guy at customer service gave me a hard time about it, but he did match the online price. (18.99 vs. 23.99, if I remember correctly)
Old 08-05-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Walker Boh
Also, I've seen reports on here that a store needs to have at least three copies of a movie for it to show as available online. That seemed to be the case last week with Dark City ... no stores around here showed it as in-stock, but the one I went to had two copies. The guy at customer service gave me a hard time about it, but he did match the online price. (18.99 vs. 23.99, if I remember correctly)
Most of the Blu-ray titles like Dark City, Top Gun, The Mummy, etc shows them as being in stock at my local Aiea Store. But I was there last night and none of them were on the shelves. What happens to my GC I use if I order for in store pick and it is not in stock at my local store?
Old 08-05-08, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kahuna
Most of the Blu-ray titles like Dark City, Top Gun, The Mummy, etc shows them as being in stock at my local Aiea Store. But I was there last night and none of them were on the shelves. What happens to my GC I use if I order for in store pick and it is not in stock at my local store?
Ahh...the good ol' days of having the beg the Best Buy employee to go in the back to get the latest HD DVD release so I could buy it. Some days they would put the titles out 2 weeks early, some days they would forget and they would sit in the back room for weeks.
Old 08-06-08, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Right, the only difference here is that Bestbuy.com allows you in-store pickup.
Tis' true. Although, Borders allows you to purchase things & have them shipped to the store & you can then pick them up once they arrive.