Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Almost ready for my first HD HT system. Where to begin?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My basement is about finished. I plan on getting an HD TV and surround system for down there, but have no idea where to begin, what to avoid, and what's recommended.

What type of TVs, receivers, etc are usually best, yet affordable? LCD, DLP, Plasma? Are ceiling mount projectors w/ screens frowned upon? Do most Blu-Ray players up-convert standard DVDs? I know little about this stuff and need to start learning.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-03-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Before you ask those questions, you need to answer your own questions. Such things as what you want? What will you use it for? With a basement I assume you have good light control, but you need to be able to answer that. How many people do you want it to sit? What budget do you have set? Are you comfortable doing DIY or are you going to have it done?

To get you started:

Budget will dictate much of what you want to do. And don't say "I want a nice but not to expensive system". You need to set a budget. Sure you can modify it, but you have to have a range in mind. But keep in mind wiring, carpet, seats and decoration can add to that. You can put together something for as little as $2,000 (depending on left over furniture from other rooms) to literally ten's and hundred's of thousands.

No ceiling mount projectors are RARELY frowned upon. In fact you can argue if your goal is to get a theater experience there is no better way to do it. Be warned, once you go "big" it is addictive. I initially did it (you can see pic's in my sig) to keep things off the floor of my smallish room. But I would never have it any other way. Today's digital projectors are bright and easy to install. But you likely still want light control in the room (but I would argue to get the best pic of any system, you need light control).

For audio, you will want to listen to different speakers if at all possible. There are my different speakers that sound good, but are different. Don't skimp on the audio. The audio has a significant effect on the over all experience. Many spend as much on audio (or more) then for the video.

Oh and yes, most Blu-ray player up convert SD DVD's. My PS3 does a pretty good job of it.

Lastly, you want to research, read and plan. Then replan. Some people build in phases. Some build all at once, making minor changes later. And like budget, you must have a plan. Sure you can modify, but you don't want to just jump in with no goal.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-03-08 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Do most Blu-Ray players up-convert standard DVDs?
Oh and yes, most Blu-ray player up convert SD DVD's. My PS3 does a pretty good job of it.
While some people might think you're being a snob; a serious question to ask yourself is do you want a video game system in your HT room?

The PS3 is the fastest loading BD player out right now. It upconverts DVDs beautifully and it makes a good media centre with the capabilities of storing photos, videos and music. It's basically a computer. You can go on the internet and oh, yeah; play video games.

If you do play games and prefer the Xbox 360 or the Wii or don't play video games at all and just want a standalone BD player you will have to do a little research first. Most of the standalone BD players are only 1.1 compliant, have slow load times are pretty much obsolete for any new BD features like BD-Live and Bonus View. Although I just got a 1.1 compliant Insignia BD player (NS-BRDVD) so I could get a new player to go along with my new 32" Sharp Aquos, Pioneer receiver and HD PVR; for the few days I did have the 40GB PS3 hooked up to the new equipment it does have good PQ and AQ with the exception of a couple of audio formats the PS3 doesn't support yet.

Head over to the "Blu-ray Players" section on AVS or check out the BD player thread here for some ideas: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525042

If you are looking for a BD player like right now; the new Sony S350 might be a good bet.
Old 08-03-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with the recommendation of going to AVS. I read AVS as the morning paper on the weekends....however, not so sound like a snob...LOL....be careful about posting questions. Especially beginner type questions. Every beginner question you can possibly image has been asked 100's of time's over there, and most seasoned posters have grown impatient with them. Use the search features in the various forms to look for what you want. I seriously don't recommending posting anything till you have spent a lot of time over there just looking around.

This is not to tell you AVS is a bad place. It is simply awesome. But they can get a little testy at noobs....

I especially love their DIY screen section in particular. I'm considering building a new screen (I built my current one).
Old 08-03-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just looking to get a TV, receiver, BR player, surround and such. No special seats or anything like that. I'll likely get a recliner and couch or a sectional.

I have an initial budget of $5k in mind. I was looking at that complete projector system Best Buy has in their ad this week for $3500 though.

http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com/bestbuy...id=-2091250384

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-03-08 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually not a bad looking system. I'm not a Klipsch or Yamaha fan, but they are good and have a big following. My PJ is an Optima HD70 and I like it. I don't like cheap pull down screens. They often wobble and wrinkle easily.

Does look like that includes install. I'm sure it is a basic install, but still....not sure of price....
Old 08-03-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That system has a decent projector, crappy speakers (I own Klipsch Ref, but Synergy is crappy) and a mid-level inexpensive receiver. You probably aren't going to find a great setup all in one. And you can probably save quite a bit with some study on the internet and careful shopping. That BB deal probably assumes $5-700 for the install in that price.

Two notes on projectors, you do have to understand about light control as mentioned above and the fact that the lamp will wear out, costing you more money down the road. I just spent $350 for a new lamp for mine after 3 years of having a projector.

Here's one way to spend less and be superior to that deal:
SVS 7.1 speakers $1200
Optoma HD65 $900
Onkyo 705 $560
And either the Sony PS3 or S350 for bluray $400 or less
Make your own screen for less than $100

I included the same projector, a superior receiver, BD player is actually equivalent features (but I think the Sonys might be a bit better quality, same price), ridiculously superior subwoofer and speakers. Only thing I skipped was the mounts for PJ and speakers. Figure a few minutes at Monoprice would save cash on those.

Oh, and you may want to drop a hundred or 2 on a remote. A great remote makes all the difference and can allow virtually anyone to operate even the most complex HTs.

Last edited by Spiky; 08-03-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So much to think about.

You mentioned not knowing what kind of TV you want. DLP, LCD, and Plasma all have benefits and negatives. You will need to (of course) go see some displayed in store for yourself. Try to fiddle around with the settings on the TV's to see if you can to get a better idea of what you might be able to expect from the various models your interested in.

LCD is probably the most user friendly. If you are willing to spend a couple thousand you will likely be able to get a nice set straight out of the box with only a little tweaking. The technology for LCD had advanced a lot over the past couple of years. Dead pixels are apparently the most common issue with these sets but I have never encountered any.

Plasma is what I chose because it offered the best "bang for your buck" IMHO. I was able to get the newest 50" Samsung PN50A450 for just $1,100 total and while it is a 720p set it outputs 1080p from my PS3 and I can't tell any difference at all. Keep in mind I sit six to twelve feet away. I actually thought I was closer than that but after measuring my bedroom this is the sitting distance I generally use. The TV looks unbelievable to my eyes. As a warning, though: Burn in is an issue with pretty much (if not all) Plasma TV's. I'd suggest following break-in settings found on AVS Forums if you choose to get a Plasma. Watching stuff with muted colors and only 1:85:1 or 1:78:1 aspect ratios for the first 100 to 150 hours may not sound like fun but if you want your TV to last as long as ten years with vibrant colors and fewer issues of burn in and image retention this is seriously something to factor in as well.

As for sound, I have been using a basic HTIB. I have just upgraded my receiver though it has yet to arrive. The speaks are 6ohms (something I honestly don't understand). I am getting the Onkyo listed in my signature delivered this week. Based on the reviews and recommendations for it I thought it was worth getting for use with the High Definition audio formats found on my HD-DVD's and Blu-ray's. While the speakers I have are probably not good enough for what your looking for (they ARE pretty loud - certainly loud enough for my bedroom walls to shake if I have the volume up way loud) the sound reproduction may not be ideal for a perfect Home theater. I am a 19 year old student so while my setup may be extremely nice (I think it serves my needs perfectly) I would perhaps suggest looking to others for more in-depth advice on audio.

DLP TV set's need a new lightbulb every few years and they can cost a few hundred dollars. Keep that in mind.

I will try and write more later. I hope some of this information helps you.
Old 08-03-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
That system has a decent projector, crappy speakers (I own Klipsch Ref, but Synergy is crappy) and a mid-level inexpensive receiver. You probably aren't going to find a great setup all in one. And you can probably save quite a bit with some study on the internet and careful shopping. That BB deal probably assumes $5-700 for the install in that price.

Two notes on projectors, you do have to understand about light control as mentioned above and the fact that the lamp will wear out, costing you more money down the road. I just spent $350 for a new lamp for mine after 3 years of having a projector.

Here's one way to spend less and be superior to that deal:
SVS 7.1 speakers $1200
Optoma HD65 $900
Onkyo 705 $560
And either the Sony PS3 or S350 for bluray $400 or less
Make your own screen for less than $100

I included the same projector, a superior receiver, BD player is actually equivalent features (but I think the Sonys might be a bit better quality, same price), ridiculously superior subwoofer and speakers. Only thing I skipped was the mounts for PJ and speakers. Figure a few minutes at Monoprice would save cash on those.

Oh, and you may want to drop a hundred or 2 on a remote. A great remote makes all the difference and can allow virtually anyone to operate even the most complex HTs.
Nice set up Spiky
Old 08-03-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just looking to get a TV, receiver, BR player, surround and such. No special seats or anything like that.
For your budget and the fact you have a basement (I'm assuming you have a good bit of room), your comment here would be a mistake IMO.

First, some of the fun in have a set up like this is sharing. Also, the details make it fun. Put up some posters, DTS signs, get a commercial popcorn popper, etc, etc.

Oh, and Spiky mentioned light control. Yes cover windows properly and I love that I have my lights on a remote control. I even have it programed into my Universal remote.

Speaking of which you want to budget for a nice universal remote. I like the Harmony series. But there are one or two other popular one's in the $100-$200 range.
Old 08-03-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For your budget and the fact you have a basement (I'm assuming you have a good bit of room), your comment here would be a mistake IMO.

First, some of the fun in have a set up like this is sharing. Also, the details make it fun. Put up some posters, DTS signs, get a commercial popcorn popper, etc, etc.

Oh, and Spiky mentioned light control. Yes cover windows properly and I love that I have my lights on a remote control. I even have it programed into my Universal remote.

Speaking of which you want to budget for a nice universal remote. I like the Harmony series. But there are one or two other popular one's in the $100-$200 range.

I am a user and fan of the Logitech Harmonys. I already plan to get one for my system downstairs.

I don't want to go overboard with the "theater" settings. I may have a few posters, but theater seating and a popcorn machine I really don't see getting anytime soon.

3 of the 4 windows in my basement are enclosed in rooms now. The 4th is around a corner, behind the bar, so it should not be an issue.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-03-08 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RE: Speakers/Receiver...I just ordered the ELT525 system from www.AV123.com for my sister and brother-in-law. It includes a 5.0 speaker setup and Denon 1909 receiver, for $1699 shipped. It does NOT include a subwoofer. I'm trying to figure that out yet.

But from all I've heard (they are newer speakers), this is an outstanding value for what you get. And they look damn nice, too, if you have a wife to keep happy.
Old 08-04-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of AV123 speakers. I wish I could find a way to listen to them, it's always a bit tough with internet-only companies.
Old 08-04-08, 09:18 AM
Suspended

I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of AV123 speakers. I wish I could find a way to listen to them, it's always a bit tough with internet-only companies.
Well, these will be near Cedar Rapids, IA, if you want to make the drive down.
Old 08-04-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
It does NOT include a subwoofer. I'm trying to figure that out yet.
SVS
Old 08-04-08, 07:46 PM
Suspended

SVS
That was at the top of my list...but I talked with Kyle at AV123 this morning, and he gave me a helluva deal on an MFW-15 (matching cherry finish to the speakers), so I'll try that out at first. Shipping weight of the thing is 125 lbs!

It should also be noted, AV123 has a great return policy - if you don't like what you hear, you can ship them back within 30 days and they'll refund all of your original payment (including shipping) plus they'll pay to have them shipped back. So all you'd really be out is the time spent repacking them.
Old 08-05-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SVS

or HSU

Old 08-05-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
^^ I went with Hsu, and I have been unbelievably happy with it. It's a massive step up from the dinky subwoofer I had before. And what's more, I had no idea how mediocre my old subwoofer was until I got the Hsu one.
Old 08-09-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LCD or Plasma?
Old 08-09-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

LCD or Plasma?
I don't want to be a smartass like I might have been on the HDMI thread, but you simply can't ask "LCD or Plasma". If it were that easy, there would be only one of the technologies. There is no answer to that question for all users all time. That is why both are still so popular.

What size do you want? What is your budget? What do you want to use it for? Do you have good light control? How far will you be sitting?

If the most important and main thing is video quality. Then I would go plasma. I still feel the plasma gives the best overall picture. Even the 720p plasma's are often better then the 1080p LCD's. Plus they are a great value right now.

LCD's tend to be brighter (but less black levels). They are also more plug and play (many feel you should break a plasma in. And while burn in is really no longer an issue, you should at least be aware of it.).

Some of the more expensive LCD's are closer to the Plasma, but of course, they are more money.
Old 08-09-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't want to be a smartass like I might have been on the HDMI thread, but you simply can't ask "LCD or Plasma". If it were that easy, there would be only one of the technologies. There is no answer to that question for all users all time. That is why both are still so popular.

What size do you want? What is your budget? What do you want to use it for? Do you have good light control? How far will you be sitting?

If the most important and main thing is video quality. Then I would go plasma. I still feel the plasma gives the best overall picture. Even the 720p plasma's are often better then the 1080p LCD's. Plus they are a great value right now.

LCD's tend to be brighter (but less black levels). They are also more plug and play (many feel you should break a plasma in. And while burn in is really no longer an issue, you should at least be aware of it.).

Some of the more expensive LCD's are closer to the Plasma, but of course, they are more money.
This is exactly why I asked. I was looking for pros and cons. Thanks.

I'm thinking 58-60" I know plasmas have a sharper image, but glare more.
Old 08-09-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
DLP TV set's need a new lightbulb every few years and they can cost a few hundred dollars. Keep that in mind.
That is not true of LED DLPs and those cost only a little bit more than conventional DLPs. The LEDs also eliminate the color wheel. That's why I got a 61" Samsung LED DLP. One of the best purchases I ever made.
Old 08-09-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movielib
That's why I got a 61" Samsung LED DLP. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Aren't DLPs on their way out? They don't seem very popular.
Old 08-09-08, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Snowmaker - have you decided not to get a projector?
Old 08-09-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aren't DLPs on their way out? They don't seem very popular.
No they are not "on their way out".

They are an excellent set. In general they have better black levels then LCD (tho agian, the more expensive LCD are close).

Also they are a great value (even the LED one's) as they do not have them in flat panel.

I would certianly give them a look.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.