Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some headphone help please?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a good brand of headphone to listen to a portable DVD player on a plane with? All suggestions are welcome but I would rather only spend around $50 and no more than $100 if possible. Is there a pretty good pair for that price range?
Old 08-02-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 419 Likes on 364 Posts
I'm a Sennheiser guy and have a couple of pair of their less expensive sport models I use mainly for the gym, also general listening. I think I'm going to pick up a pair of the CX300 specifically for the plane. I currently use some JVC's for the plane, and while they are ok, not impressed with the sound quality and they were cheap (about $25)

I realize there are some active noise reduction systems, but I don't want to mess with batteries, etc. So I'm sticking with inner ear canal one's (no batteries, small light weight) The issue of course with those is fit. Most of these come with several different size of "plugs" which can really block out ambient sound.
Old 08-04-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am also a Sennheiser guy. To feed my addiction I purchased a pair of the 150s from Newegg a week ago. They are the noise canceling type with active noise canceling. Newegg had them on sale for $52 and if you send in an old pair of headphones (even broken ones) there is a $25 rebate.

Even when they arent on sale they are around $75 with a $25 rebate and are just what you are looking for.
Old 08-09-08, 01:04 AM

Check out the Beyerdynamic DT770's if you get a chance. Lots of bass. They are sealed and do a pretty good job blocking out noise without noise cancellation. The velour pads make them very comfortable. If you have a Guitar Center nearby they'll have some.
Old 08-13-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by durden007
Check out the Beyerdynamic DT770's if you get a chance. Lots of bass. They are sealed and do a pretty good job blocking out noise without noise cancellation. The velour pads make them very comfortable. If you have a Guitar Center nearby they'll have some.

good headphone, but more than double what he wants to spend.
Old 08-13-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grado SR-80
Old 08-17-08, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the Sony - Over-the-Ear Noise-Canceling Headphones Model: MDR-NC40 because they had good reviews and were $99. I got them at Sam's for $79. I used them last week on my trip and they are AWESOME! Great product for the price and value. I know Bose or Sennheiser would have been the best but I like what I got.