Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Watching films intoxicated?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How often do you watch films while under the influence of your favorite recreational drug (alcohol, etc...)? What kind of movies do you do this with (comedies, action, artistic, visual, etc.)? First viewing or multiple? Does it usually make the experience better or worse?

I find that when I try to watch movies when I am drunk (e.g., Beerfest at a party) that I am too slow to keep up with the move in real-time. This never works out.

Occasionally, I'll also re-watch some of my favorite films while high (typically not comedies). The biggest successes I've had with this were Brick (the complexities of the movie worked on so many levels), 2001:A Space Odyssey (sync'ed with Pink Floyd's "Echoes" at the end), Fifth Element (wacky plot with lots of colors), and Pulp Fiction (just plain cool). I usually find them less engaging in this state, though, I think movie-watching is too passive of an activity for this.

Last edited by wilky61; 08-01-08 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-01-08, 01:26 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I've watched a few movies "trippin'" a long time ago. The Animatrix was amazing.

Last edited by Brack; 08-01-08 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-01-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Never. That's not the kind of fun I'm looking for when I'm drunk...I wouldn't be able to follow a movie anyway
Old 08-01-08, 01:38 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The Wall on acid.
Old 08-01-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are some movies you just can't watch sober.
Old 08-01-08, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by valkyrie
There are some movies you just can't watch sober.
Like what? The Wall, Fear/Loathing, Harold/Kumar?
I've watched the first two while altered and didn't find either very good.
Old 08-01-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Return to Oz. Drunk. Very creepy.
Old 08-01-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually just fall asleep if I try watching a film drunk.
Old 08-01-08, 08:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
That's why God created the Alamo Drafthouse here in Austin. It was meant to be - movies and alcohol. I can't wait to down a few beers while watching Tropic Thunder tonight. Free sneak!
Old 08-01-08, 08:26 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Woo hoo! Just realized I'm a senior member now! I just got upgraded!
Old 08-01-08, 08:37 AM
Banned

I usually never watched films under the influence. I was high when I watched 300, Walk Hard, and I Am Legend in theater and I didn't like any of them. I rewatched Walk Hard again and thought it was very funny. I just don't think I can watch films when I'm high.
Old 08-01-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I usually fall asleep... last one was 10,000 BC I think... but yeah, usually comedies or movies I know are gonna be bad I'll drink more than a few.
Old 08-01-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Forbidden Zone
I made it a rule to only watch this movie while blunted. But when the supply eventually ran out, I decided to give the movie a shot with nothing in my system. The movie still remained as a blast.

I do, however, always have to whip out plenty of beer out when I watch shitty, exploitation bootlegs complete with pan/scan,dubbing, and (Often) burnt-in Dutch subtitles. That's the only way to enjoy them.
Old 08-01-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've watched Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Half Baked and Willy Wonka on mushrooms.

I've watched Yellow Submarine on acid.

I've watched A LOT of movies stoned.

I don't really pay attention to movies when I'm drunk.
Old 08-01-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but I absolutely hate to be buzzin' (if not outright drunk) and have somebody want to watch a movie. That is one of the quickest ways to kill whatever vibe I've got going. One of my friends is big time into watching movies when he gets drunk, and my wife is, too. Once they get to that point, I know it's over for me.

To add to the list, though, they both really like watching "Super Troopers" drunk. I'm not sure what else he likes watching drunk, but she also likes things like "Wedding Crashers," "Bridget Jones's Diary" and "Freddy Got Fingered" (she says drunk is the only way to watch that).
Old 08-01-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A friend of mine saw Knocked Up after dropping acid.

I myself am straight-edge: no drugs or anything,
Old 08-01-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
A friend of mine saw Knocked Up after dropping acid.

I myself am straight-edge: no drugs or anything,
Sorry to hear that, really. Drugs, when used in moderation, are a fuckload of fun.
Old 08-01-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
There's nothing like watching 2001 while stoned.

Especially the ending.
Old 08-01-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other kids, once watched Carpenter's 'Halloween' alone, in a dark house, on Halloween night, wide open on Acid, really dosed.

It was beyond weird and terrifying, these other kids told me.
Old 08-01-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I like to throw on movies with narration when I'm drunk:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
American Psycho

Or movies I've seen a billion times:

Dumb and Dumber
The Shining
Wallace and Gromit
Old 08-01-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Hi. I'm Rex. I'm a pothead. Or at least I was back in the day. I was high pretty much nonstop from 1988 to 2002, and only stopped smoking because I could no longer afford the type of weed it took to get me high. I've since moved to a different city, and don't really have a "connection" here, so I don't smoke much any more... although if it's around I'll certainly indulge.

A long time ago, I'd watch any movie stoned. In fact, being high was pretty much a requirement for almost any movie I saw. Weed makes almost any movie better: it makes comedies funnier, scary movies scarier, dramas more serious and thrillers more heart-pounding.

The only movies that don't really work with weed are period films (Jane Austin films + weed = naptime), chick flicks (weed just amplifies the boredom I'd already feel watching the latest Katherine Heigel movie) and movies that try to be strange or "weird" (most David Lynch films + weed = extreme confusion, which you either try to "ride out" by simply enjoying the visuals or you just turn off the TV because you actually want to understand what's going on, and you just can't in that state).

To be honest, now that I'm 37, I watch far fewer films than I used to (sober or not), mainly because I just can't sit still for two hours. Because of this, I prefer watching TV shows if I'm gonna "smoke out".

Rome was some incredible TV while high. Remember the episode where Titus Pullo buried Eirene? That was like... the heaviest hour of TV ever. I remember sitting on the sofa thinking "Holy shit! That was fuckin' heavy, man!" when that episode was over.

Likewise, Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes are great while high, since not only are they "heavy", you could think about the whole time travel aspect of the show and freak yourself out thinking up possible time paradoxes. I remember one episode of Ashes to Ashes in particular: the cops were chasing a guy wanted for embezzlement. He was using a pocket knife to dig the stolen money out of a metal tube where he'd hidden it. One of the cops found him (it just happened to be the young, pretty female cop) and she screamed as she jumped to tackle him. Her scream caused the guy to turn around, and he accidentally stabbed her with the knife. The rest of the cops show up, just as he's holding the knife and standing over the prostrate, bleeding girl. Even though I was watching this by myself, I still said out loud: "Holy shit, maaaannn! They'd gonna beat the shit outta that guy!" (They did, and it was also the heaviest hour of TV ever)

On the flip side, shows like Family Guy and 30 Rock are amazingly funny when high (stuff like Arrested Development less so, since that show rewards you for paying attention - something that's hard to do when you're high.)

But since this thread is about, ya know, films, here are a couple of anecdotes about myself, drugs, and the movies:

A few weeks ago, I decided to watch Walk Hard here on the computer. I was sober as a judge at the time. I watched the first half of the film and found it completely unfunny. So I paused it and went back to surfing the web and checking my email. A friend stopped by later that afternoon and got me baked. After she left, I went back upstairs to check my email and decided to watch the rest of the movie... and it was the funniest damn thing I've ever seen! Well, not quite, but you get what I mean.

And then there was the second Matrix film. My GF and I met a friend of ours at a local theatre. My GF (who doesn't smoke weed) saved seats for us while we went back out to the car and smoked a giant joint. We then stopped by the concession stand to get popcorn and drinks just as the previews were starting. I was in my own little world, and my GF - who isn't really "against" weed, she just hates how it makes her cough, so she's never really smoked it - kept tapping me on the arm, asking if I wanted any popcorn. I shooed her off every time, and my friend eventually giggled and told her to just wait a half hour... Sure enough, around 45 minutes into the movie I was like... "gimme that damn popcorn" and started hogging it all up for myself. So anyway, we watched the movie, which I thought was simply wonderful. For the longest time, I couldn't understand why people hated on the film so much... and then I watched it (sober) on HBO and was like "Oh..."

And then there was the time I held a small "acid party" at my house back in the late 80s. For some reason, we decided to watch Excalibur, although no one really had the attention span to watch it, so it was just "background noise" while the 8 of us broke into small groups and had our own conversations. Everyone was having a fine old time, giggling in our own little groups. And then... King Arthur broke Excalibur. Everyone stopped talking. The wind stopped moving across the land. Small woodland creatures stopped in their tracks. The earth stopped rotating, and the stars stopped twinkling. Everything in the entire universe stopped. To us (in that condition), the most important thing in the history of the world had just happened. It was World War II, the Challenger explosion, 9/11 and the Lincoln and JFK assassinations all rolled into one. Everyone felt a wave of panic and uncertainty wash over them. People that only ten seconds ago had been giggling or drawing "meaningful" squiggles on legal pads now stopped and looked at the TV as if the world was ending. Everyone felt their hearts drop. I just can't stress enough how uncool and heavy things were. But then my best friend (God bless him) said "Wow - all that... for pussy!", which caused an uproar of laughter, and everything was back to "normal" again.
Old 08-01-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Other kids, once watched Carpenter's 'Halloween' alone, in a dark house, on Halloween night, wide open on Acid, really dosed.

It was beyond weird and terrifying, these other kids told me.
"Other kids"

I generally don't like tripping to movies.

But, I will share a little dark secret of mine. I was once a big fan of a little used dissociative that would totally blow your mind. I used it with some weed before watching 21 Grams. Holy shit, it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life. I quite literally experienced the movie and it was devastating. Months later I did the same combo for Apocalypse Now: Redux. My oh my. It was infinitely engrossing. Pathetic, maybe, but that goes down as my favorite cinematic experience ever. Crazy how that shit would make you live the movie you were watching. What a movie to live. It practically exists to be watched on psychedelic drugs.

Anyway, I generally enjoy smoking for movies.

I think getting drunk and seeing movies is usually a waste of time. Although, I have done it many times seeing shitty horror movies late at night. And Cloverfield. Usually I drink at the movie.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 08-01-08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Conquest = Greatest movie to watch stoned.... ever.
Old 08-01-08, 06:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
I watched Ghostbusters after taking mushrooms once. That's when I realized it was one of the greatest movies ever made.

Aside from that... never.
Old 08-01-08, 06:54 PM

My friends and I used to go to 24 hour horror and sci fi marathons at a local art house dosed to the gills. Nothing like peaking while watching "The Exorcist" on a big screen. I almost needed therapy afterward!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.