Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Life on Mars R2 - difference between individual series and the box set?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if there's any difference between this box set:

and buying the series individually?

The 8-disc set costs a lot more, but I don't see any difference besides packaging.
Old 10-25-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
meh, i figured i'd bump this instead of making a new thread. i've enjoyed the american version, and did a quick currency converter and on amazon its about 50 bucks and change plus shipping for the series, so i was wondering if it be worth picking up or not. i checked ebay, and its goin for a hundred bucks for the same sets.
Old 10-25-08, 06:19 AM

Are you asking if the series is worth picking up or just the box set? I have both individual series and they're my most-watched DVD sets in my collection. I have been through the series twice now in a few months and it is one of the greatest TV series I have ever seen. No offense, but the American version is complete rubbish after seeing the original. The U.S. version has none of the subtlety or character development of the UK version, and O'Mara just seems to be reading his lines, where John Simm balances anger, confusion and occupational dedication perfectly. Harvey Keitel is a great actor, but Philip Glenister OWNS the Gene Hunt role!
Old 10-25-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

kind of both. 50 and change is a good price for both seasons right?
Old 10-25-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't managed to pick up the DVDs yet. Since I just finished watching the series for the second time, I was gonna wait until I was in the mood to re-watch the series to order them (or found a super good deal).

So I can't comment on the quality of the DVDs, but the show is amazing. I plan on catching the American one but I can't see it being nearly as good as the original, especially because the lead actors have created these extraordinary characters.

You might also want to check out the follow-up series Ashes to Ashes. The first season is on DVD in the UK, but the second one hasn't aired yet. It still has a few of the same characters, most notably Gene Hunt. It doesn't come close to the quality of Life on Mars, but it's still a fine show compared to most of the crap on tv.
Old 10-25-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
kind of both. 50 and change is a good price for both seasons right?
Absolutely! Nice price, and well worth watching the UK series.

I don't know if there is any difference between the box set and the individual series.
Old 10-25-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thats the price on amazon.co.uk .
Old 10-26-08, 04:14 PM
Dak

I got the complete set for 35£ this summer in Stratford-upon-Avon (HMV I think it was).
The DVDs are exactly the same as is the packaging. The complete boxset just has a flimsy outer cardboard box.

P.S. The US series sucks major ass compared to the original. Ashes to Ashes is also great.

Last edited by Dak; 10-26-08 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
FYI: HD version out today.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...s-blu-ray.html
Old 10-27-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The blu-ray has been confirmed as Region A compatible (sort of):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=68168

The episodes play in Region A players but the extras don't.

$44.78 shipped for both seasons at Sendit. Not a bad price at all. Thanks, strengthening dollar!

The quality won't be stellar because it was filmed in 16 mm. I'm hearing lots of grain but good colors. Lots of arguing over how good it is. I took a chance and ordered the blu-ray. It's almost the same price and I figure I'll get a region free blu-ray player for the extras eventually.
Old 10-27-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib
The blu-ray has been confirmed as Region A compatible (sort of):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=68168

The episodes play in Region A players but the extras don't.

$44.78 shipped for both seasons at Sendit. Not a bad price at all. Thanks, strengthening dollar!

The quality won't be stellar because it was filmed in 16 mm. I'm hearing lots of grain but good colors. Lots of arguing over how good it is. I took a chance and ordered the blu-ray. It's almost the same price and I figure I'll get a region free blu-ray player for the extras eventually.
Oh nice! Please do give some feedback on the quality. I'd definitely consider picking this up if it's good....erm, assuming I buy a BR player.
Old 11-03-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Oh nice! Please do give some feedback on the quality. I'd definitely consider picking this up if it's good....erm, assuming I buy a BR player.
I received the discs today and tested them. They do indeed play in my Region A player. And contrary to what the guy at the Blu-Ray forum said, the extras do work, at least on my Samsung 1400.

The picture is definitely not glossy. There is grain but it's not overwhelming or improper looking. It's an appropriate look for the 1973 setting.

And it has a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

All in all I'm delighted and looking forward to watching the entire series.
Old 12-03-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bump. I've been doing some research on this and it's questionable how HD the source material is. Not that the source material does not have more detail than HD, but was the the process film-->SD-->Upconvert, or was it redone film-->HD encode.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...s-blu-ray.html (More info there than on the Blu-ray.com thread).