Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question about the value of a very rare dvd

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the value of a very rare dvd

I have a copy of I Know What You Did Last Summer that was recalled before it ever hit stores back for its first release in 98. The top of the front cover says "From The Writer of "Scream", which Sony was forced to remove or face a lawsuit from Miramax. I got the disc from a mail order company back then, and they sent it out before the recall was announced (like a week or so before street date). Is there any way to find out whether or not this is worth something? Or is it just a unique one to have with no real additional value?
Old 07-29-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,349 Likes on 976 Posts
Check ebay for completed auctions where the DVD actually was sold. It was probably worth more right after the recall rather than now. Remember the VHS cover of "The Little Mermaid" with the penis spire? Sold for tons right when it happened but, years later after it was fixed, I could find copies at the swap meet for $5.

Rare DVDs will sell more if there is something rare about the content rather than a printing error on the cover. I'm not an expert and could be wrong but it's just my guess. At least it's worth checking to see.
Old 07-29-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if the original (recalled) version of Ed Wood is worth anything? It was recalled for content, I believe.
Old 07-29-08, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Hmmm... I wonder if the original (recalled) version of Ed Wood is worth anything? It was recalled for content, I believe.

That one also lost value since Miramax has released the film again with and without the recalled content. The gray spine has the drag featurette readily available in the menu and the black spine has it hidden in the disc.