Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jeffrey Kauffman's DVD review of Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=34067 and...

....remember Nixon's mantra that "A lie is as good as the Truth if someone believes it".

A common Nazi propaganda trick was to repeat a falsehood over and over until anyone listening probably believes it or at least wants to believe. Fox news uses this trick very successfully. I am amazed at family and friends who think Fox News is honest journalism and it is their preferred news method and often the only one.

Recently, another disturbing fact was Scott McClellan admitting the Bush Whitehouse provides Fox News with daily news stories to release.

If this disturbs you, watch the flicks, Fahrenheit 451, The Matrix, Star Wars, Equilibrium, etc., and become even more paranoid. Emperor Palatine said: "Either you are with us or against us". Can you guess which president said the same thing when fooling the people into trusting him???
Old 07-28-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So if we're disturbed by how Robert Murdoch runs his news media empire, you suggest we should go rent or buy the Star Wars franchise films owned by his entertainment media empire?

Perhaps a better suggestion if you're disturbed by Murdoch's shenanigans would be to donate time or money to independent media sources like Pacifica Radio, or if you're merely looking to watch something else about media manipulation see Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky and The Media, then take some action.

Speaking of Star Wars though, given your analogizing President Bush to the Emperor Palatine, does that make the Death Star equivalent to the Pentagon or the World Trade Towers?
Old 07-28-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cinemamagic
Emperor Palatine said: "Either you are with us or against us". Can you guess which president said the same thing when fooling the people into trusting him???
This has got to be one of the stupidest things I have ever read on these forums.

Sorry, but the president you are alluding to said it BEFORE Lucas put it into the movie. Lucas is a known anti-Bush guy, and that was an intentional jab.

You should also take note that *Hillary Clinton* said it publicly one week BEFORE George Bush in his speech.

It's possible origin in Western culture is the Bible, where it is attributed to Jesus.

It would behoove you to do a little research in the future before posting and sounding foolish.

You're also trying to use a pathetic debate tactic of mentioning "Nazis" at the same time as condemning Republicans and/or FNC. It would be nice if you could study a little history and see that this "Nazi" tactic is simply the tactic of propaganda itself, not unique to Republicans, Democrats, or anyone else--all of whom use it.

Here's a nice site with some video links to watch your favorite Democrats all saying the same thing about Iraq:
http://www.freedomagenda.com/iraq/wmd_quotes.html

There are dozens of quotes there, half of them from before 9/11. If you watch them, those Democrats will certainly get you fired up to invade Iraq. Were they "fooling us into trusting them by repeating the same things over and over again?"

You're dreaming if you think that CNN, NBC, and all the other news outlets don't do the same thing. Headlines on the front pages of newspapers are chosen by their editors: you don't think they have a point of view?

Outfoxed is a good documentary exposing some bad things done by a news organization, but that doesn't mean the other news organizations are clean; it just means that MoveOn.org backed a good documentary and they had a (valid) point to make. This documentary should be the BEGINNING of your research into the matter, not the end. If you want to read more about it, I suggest this book: "Press Bias and Politics: How the Media Frame Controversial Issues," by Jim Kuypers.

And now to really geek out:

The Jedi are the ones that actually draw a line between good and evil (light and dark). The Sith are the ones that try to blur the line and get people to use all of their resources, not just the ones the Jedi use. Lucas decided to violate these ideas in order to throw an insult at Bush in the movie, and suddenly the Sith are the ones who "deal in absolutes."

Here's a geeky page to read one fan's (over)analysis of Jedi Philosophy:
http://kitoba.com/pedia/Jedi+Philosophy.html

I am not a huge SW fan, but I don't actually remember Palpatine saying the quote you mention. I remember Anakin's line "You're either with me, or you're my enemy." He paused at the comma, giving viewers the necessary time to fill in "or you're against me" or "or you're with the terrorists." As if the dialogue (and delivery of it) in those movies wasn't pathetic enough, we now have to shoehorn in some anti-Bush rhetoric?
Old 07-28-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Wisdom Cheato speaks ...
Old 07-28-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cheato
Headlines on the front pages of newspapers are chosen by their editors: you don't think they have a point of view?
Everyone has a point of view. Including you. Urging someone to reconsider their stance, because you disprove of it, by introducing a broader platform of opinions not necessarily refuting what has been said does not make your words more credible.

They could be just as foolish.

Pro-B
Old 08-02-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
So if we're disturbed by how Robert Murdoch runs his news media empire, you suggest we should go rent or buy the Star Wars franchise films owned by his entertainment media empire?
Small quibble, but with the possible exception of the first film from 1977, FOX does not own the Star Wars franchise - Lucasfilm does. (I think the prequel trilogy are the most expensive independent films ever made.) Lucasfilm did have a distribution agreement with FOX, but that doesn't mean they own the films. (And the new animated Star Wars film "The Clone Wars" isn't even being distributed by FOX but by Warner Bros.)
Old 08-02-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cheato
Headlines on the front pages of newspapers are chosen by their editors: you don't think they have a point of view?
Speaking as a newspaper copy editor, I can tell you that that's not how it works. Headlines are written by whichever copy editor is assigned a particular story, usually long after the editor has gone home for the night.
Old 08-02-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Small quibble, but with the possible exception of the first film from 1977, FOX does not own the Star Wars franchise - Lucasfilm does.
Lucasfilm owns the entire series. Lucas demanded that Fox sell him full rights to the first movie as a condition for him making the sequels. Fox acts only as a distributor for Star Wars. Should Lucas decide to change distributors, he can do that at any time (you'll note that the new Clone Wars animated movie is distributed by Warner Bros.).
Old 08-02-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I stand corrected then. Yes, everyone, if you were disturbed by the fact that Scott McClellan admitted the Bush Whitehouse provided Fox News with daily news stories to release, go watch Star Wars.