Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need 70's R&B Soul/funk/dance suggestions?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I've taken a liking to Joss Stone recently in particular the song 'you had me' (posted below) I know her influences is mainly 70's r&b music, but that genere is a complete mystery to me, as i am not familiar with anything from that era, so based on the song posted, can you all help me out in finding songs/artists similar to help me out and to give some fun songs to my mp3 player. (can't blare death metal all the time
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytsHaxV0SKM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ytsHaxV0SKM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Also, don't worry, I dont believe most of you will be flicking for the stop/mute button with this song.
Old 07-28-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
I like Bobby Womack and Bill Withers.
Old 07-28-08, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Stone song you posted really sounds more like 90s pop-rnb to me (not that I have anything against Stone), but off the top of my head, here nevertheless are some recommendations for 70s funk/soul/RnB that you might like (with Wikipedia links):

- Marvin Gaye (try, for example, the albums "What's Going On" and "Let's Get it On" for starters)

- Parliament and Funkadelic (although practically the same band under two names, I would start with the former -- "Chocolate City", "Mothership Connection" and "The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein" are all excellent starting points, although anything with George Clinton's involvement is really good listening if you happen to like his brand of funk)

- Sly and the Family Stone (albums "Stand!" and "There's a Riot Goin' On" would probably be my introductory suggestions for Sly's funk)

- Stevie Wonder (anything he recorded between 1972 and 1976 is gold -- "Music of My Mind", "Talking Book", "Innervisions", "Fulfillingness' First Finale", "Songs in the Key of Life" are albums everyone should have in their collection)

- Michael Jackson and The Jacksons (while by no means innovative, the 70s Jacksons -- when they became The Jacksons instead of The Jackson 5 -- is excellent disco soul, while Michael's 1979 solo album "Off the Wall" is an enormous classic; whatever your thoughts may be when you hear the name "Michael Jackson", you absolutely must give "Off the Wall" a listen)

Those names might form a good introduction to 70s funk/soul/rnb, although there obviously are numerous other brilliant acts to check out, names such as James Brown, Earth Wind & Fire, The Commodores, Kool & the Gang... the list goes on and on and on.

Finally, even if he was long dead by the 70s, you can't claim to have heard soul before you have heard Sam Cooke.
Old 07-28-08, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Parliament/Funkadelic is a good suggestion. "Maggot Brain" (Funkadelic) is a good one to check out since you're a rock fan, the title track is a rock classic with a much-mimicked riff. Everything about that album is iconic.

Al Green is another great 70's soul singer whose work defies era and crosses many different genres. I don't know his individual albums enough to comment, but his Greatest Hits album from 1975 is essential to a collection unless you plan on getting the albums between 1971-1974.

Although her salad days were obviously in the 1960's, Aretha has some good 70's albums as well. Check out "Sparkle", which is generally considered her finest post-1970 album.

And while you know him best as a rocker, I kid you not, David Bowie's "Young Americans" is a brilliant soul record, and Bowie surprisingly does not get enough credit for plucking a young Luther Vandross out of obscurity. You can hear Luther's vocals all over the album, a good five years before his career took off as the lead singer of Change before his solo career.
Old 07-28-08, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
One of my favorite, if not the favorite genres of music. vili just about covered it.

However, you might want to get Joss' Soul Sessions. It's brilliant compared to her second and third releases. It seems she's getting worse as she goes along. I don't know why.

Also, in addition to vili's picks, you might want to try the Isley Brothers, Curtis Mayfield, the Delfonics, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, the Ohio Players, Teddy Pendergrass & Donny Hathaway. There's more, but i'm too tired to think right now.

This looks like a pretty good collection...

For 70's soul ballads, you might want to check out Rhino's Smooth Grooves series.

Oh, and Maggot Brain rocks.
Old 07-28-08, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're into Joss Stone, I think you'd be interested in Alicia Keys as well. Classic R&B sound but updated.

For actual 70's era music, Earth Wind & Fire are an easy choice to recommend for that type of music. Some of it is disco but the rest certainly qualifies as soul, funk and dance.

Maybe shoot for some Rick James too.

Add in some Rufus and Chaka Khan. "Tell Me Somethng Good", "Sweet Thing", and "Ain't Nobody" are perfect examples of this type of music. Chaka revisited this sound in her last album, the Grammy-winning "Funk This."

Last edited by big whoppa; 07-28-08 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-28-08, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
And while you know him best as a rocker, I kid you not, David Bowie's "Young Americans" is a brilliant soul record
An excellent pick, and so true! Another example of a white man venturing into this territory and well worth noting would be Todd Rundgren's seminal 1972 album Something/Anything?. While not a straightforward soul/rnb/funk work, the brand of pop in it clearly has its roots firmly in that area.

I also fully agree with the other recommendations in this thread. There are just so many brilliant albums to discover in this genre... I think I will now need to get Joss's Soul Sessions -- perhaps that will help me get into Joss, finally.

Originally Posted by big whoppa
If you're into Joss Stone, I think you'd be interested in Alicia Keys as well. Classic R&B sound but updated.
I totally agree with this. But if we want to enter this territory, which is a whole new Pandora's box in itself, don't forget Remy Shand's "The Way I Feel" album (in my opinion from all the modern artists he is closest to the 70s feel while still managing to be fully contemporary -- perhaps my favourite album of the past 20 years?), or neo soul artists such as Maxwell, Eryukah Badu, D'Angelo and many, many others.

Last edited by vili; 07-28-08 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-28-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Couldn't think of stuff that exactly mirrors with Joss Stone, but as soon as I saw the words, "70's/soul/funk/dance" in the title, this is what came to mind:

Brick-Dazz
James Brown-Gonna Have A Funky Good Time
Ohio Players-Love Rollercoaster
B.T. Express-Do it til your satisfied
Lyn Collins-Think
Manu Dibango-Soul Makossa
War-Galaxy
Rufus Thomas-The Breakdown
Kool & The Gang-Funky Stuff
People's Choice-Do it anyway you wanna do it
Old 07-28-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by vili
I also fully agree with the other recommendations in this thread. There are just so many brilliant albums to discover in this genre... I think I will now need to get Joss's Soul Sessions -- perhaps that will help me get into Joss, finally.

I totally agree with this. But if we want to enter this territory, which is a whole new Pandora's box in itself, don't forget Remy Shand's "The Way I Feel" album (in my opinion from all the modern artists he is closest to the 70s feel while still managing to be fully contemporary -- perhaps my favourite album of the past 20 years?), or neo soul artists such as Maxwell, Eryukah Badu, D'Angelo and many, many others.
Don't get me wrong, there were some good songs on Mind, Body & Soul, but I didn't think it was good as the Soul Sessions (which, by the way, is a collection of covers).

As for "modern" soul artists, Maxwell is great, as is Erykah (though kinda quirky). However, you should seek out Adriana Evans' debut disc. It's fantastic.
Old 07-28-08, 01:43 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Joss Stone is one of the artist that grabs my attention. At first you think, wow this chick is smokin' hot (and British...damn I could scream Marry Me from the rooftops if she was around), but can she sing? Then she belts out a White Stripes cover or one of her own and it blows you back into the chair. So to be confused is pretty normal.

My definition of funk/soul is a little looser than others, so there might be some disagreement here. But I will try to keep it as close as I can.

i would look into Dr. John (a personal favorite who I have seen 3 times now), The Meters (played with Dr. John at one point), Stanton Moore (not from the 70's, but the stuff could easily have been in the 70's although you could call him jazz, there is some majorly funky stuff and yes he did play with COC on their last record), and Galactic (Staton's other band...see my comment on his solo work).

On the soul side, I would check out Dusty Springfield (Joss does tend to sound like her at times and she was featured in Pulp Fiction with the excellent Son of a Preacher Man). Solomon Burke, Al Green, and some of their followers are also excellent choices.

In respect to Bowie's "Young Americans" pick (excellent by the way) look into T-Rex. Electric Warrior, although classified as glam, does have some funky moments and is generally regarding as Marc Bolan's masterwork...but it is the later stuff that sounds like the not too distant relative of "Young Americans".

Lastly, vili's choices are right on the money. Those would be a good primer too.
Old 07-28-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em comin too. I'll def check some of them out (and i think my dad has/had 'off the wall' by michael, and i've always kind of been a fan of 'don't stop till you get enough'.
In regards to Joss and her music, the only comparison i could make (and i only made it because they play it at work so many times) is i think 'very superstitious' by i think stevie wonder.
Also, there's a band that played at the grammys a few years ago, that if i recall stole the show, had a bunch of horn instruments, and also had one of the members of outkast help out during one of their songs. i think they played about 10 minutes, and i recall reading alot of praise on here after it happened. i wanna say Grand Funk Railroad, but i'm not sure.
Old 07-28-08, 02:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also, there's a band that played at the grammys a few years ago, that if i recall stole the show, had a bunch of horn instruments, and also had one of the members of outkast help out during one of their songs. i think they played about 10 minutes, and i recall reading alot of praise on here after it happened. i wanna say Grand Funk Railroad, but i'm not sure.
Definitely not Grand Funk. IT could have possibly been the Dirty Dozen Brass Band (this was post-Katrina right?) Who are from Nawlins and amazing.

http://www.myspace.com/dirtydozenbrass
Old 07-28-08, 03:00 PM

Somewhere in the hazier corners of my memory I seem to remember a Grammy performance that had Outkast, George Clinton (with Parliament/Funkadelic?) and Earth, Wind and Fire on the stage together, as a funk ensemble. If this ever happened, and was not just something I dreamt up, it might be what you are referring to.

I usually don't watch the Grammy Awards, so it was probably the year when Prince stole the show with Beyoncé, because I was watching then. In which case the year should have been 2004, I think, the year of Musicology.
Old 07-28-08, 05:42 PM

I was thinking Morris Day, but that was last year
Old 07-28-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by vili
Somewhere in the hazier corners of my memory I seem to remember a Grammy performance that had Outkast, George Clinton (with Parliament/Funkadelic?) and Earth, Wind and Fire on the stage together, as a funk ensemble. If this ever happened, and was not just something I dreamt up, it might be what you are referring to.

I usually don't watch the Grammy Awards, so it was probably the year when Prince stole the show with Beyoncé, because I was watching then. In which case the year should have been 2004, I think, the year of Musicology.
i think it was Earth Wind and Fire, i do remeber George Clinton there. Unfortunatly, youtube doesn't have grammy performances (bastards), so i couldn't really find it.
Old 07-28-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It was the 2004 Grammys.

Earth, Wind and Fire, Big Boi, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic.
Old 07-28-08, 09:35 PM

Robert Randolph from my hometown of Morristown, NJ...he is worth checking out too
Old 07-29-08, 05:43 PM
Banned

Try THE OHIO PLAYERS greatest hits.
They have cool funky rock guitar licks.
Old 08-01-08, 02:39 AM

thats cool rypro.. didn't expect you to open a thread like this.. thought you just listened to metal.. thats cool that your open to different types of music... wish i could add some input but i'm not familiar with the genre.
Old 08-01-08, 04:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
signup for www.emusic.com ... 100 free d/ls.... grab Mike Kirkland's stuff, amongst others...... then quit in < 1 mos time so you dont get charged.
Old 08-01-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'd say exhaust Funkadelic, then move on to Parliament.

Funkadelic is more rock-based/alternative funk, and Parliament skews more towards disco/dance. Also Funkadelic has about 6 or 8 must have albums:

- Funkadelic
- Free Your Mind...
- Maggot Brain
- America Eats it's Young
- Cosmic Slop
- Standing on the Verge of Getting it On
- Let's Take it to the Stage

These are all very different from each other too, and every avenue of soul/rock/funk/dance is thoroughly explored - they should sate you curiosity/hunger for this music, but also ruin you for other artists in the same genres who just can't hold up. Except for Stevie Wonder's output for the early/mid '70s and Sly, which you should also look into.
Old 08-01-08, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this box sex, it's a fairly comprehensive overview of the funk genre (with some soul thrown in for good measure) and a great place to get started.

Disc: 1
1. Get Up I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine (full-length single version) - James Brown
2. Express Yourself - Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
3. Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose (unedited non-overdubbed version) - James Brown
4. Rock Steady - Aretha Franklin
5. Slippin' Into Darkness - War
6. I Know You Got Soul (extended version) - Bobby Byrd
7. Jungle Fever - The Chakachas
8. It's Just Begun - The Jimmy Castor Bunch
9. Outa-Space - Billy Preston
10. Think (About It) - Lyn Collins (The Female Preacher)
11. Goin' To See My Baby - Fatback Band
12. Pass The Peas - The JB's
13. "T" Plays It Cool - Marvin Gaye
14. The Message - Cymande
15. I Can Understand It - The New Birth
16. I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Baby - Barry White

Disc: 2
1. Future Shock - Curtis Mayfield
2. The Bottle (12" mix) - Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson
3. What Is Hip? - Tower of Power
4. The Payback - James Brown
5. For The Love Of Money - The O'Jays
6. Hollywood Swinging - Kool & The Gang
7. Tell Me Something Good - Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
8. Do It, Fluid - Blackbyrds
9. Do It (Till You're Satisfied) - B.T. Express
10. Just Kissed My Baby - The Meters
11. Skin Tight - Ohio Players
12. I Get Lifted - George McCrae
13. Shakey Ground - The Temptations
14. School Boy Crush - Average White Band
15. Erucu - Jermaine Jackson

Disc: 3
1. Fight the Power - Pts. 1 & 2 - The Isley Brothers
2. The Jam - Graham Central Station
3. Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker) - Parliament
4. Get The Funk Out Ma Face - Brothers Johnson
5. Changin' - Brass Construction
6. Dazz - Brick
7. Superman Lover - Johnny Guitar Watson
8. The Pinocchio Theory - Bootsy's Rubber Band
9. Slide - Slave
10. The Hump - Patrice Rushen
11. Running Away (12" mix) - Roy Ayers
12. Brick House (12" mix) - The Commodores
13. Let's Have Some Fun - Bar-Kays

Disc: 4
1. You and I - Rick James
2. I Like Girls - Fatback
3. Let's Start The Dance - Bohannon
4. One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic
5. Bustin' Loose (12" mix) - Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers
6. I Just Want To Be (12" extended mix) - Cameo
7. Glide - Pleasure
8. Behind The Groove - Teena Marie
9. More Bounce To The Ounce - Zapp
10. Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) - Gap Band
11. Atomic Dog - George Clinton
Old 08-01-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Theres a great article in yesterdays sun paper on the new era of Soul

New era of soul
By Mario Tarradell | McClatchy-Tribune
July 31, 2008
Welsh singer Duffy - nee Aimee Anne Duffy - celebrated the stateside release of her debut CD, Rockferry, with a performance in May at New York's famed Apollo Theater, the legendary venue dedicated to the preservation of R&B music.

In February, the troubled but talented Amy Winehouse swept the Grammy Awards, thanks to the success of her second disc, Back to Black, her arresting merger of '60s girl-group pop, R&B and hip-hop.

England's Joss Stone counts three CDs in her repertoire, including 2007's Introducing Joss Stone, two of them gold sellers and one of them platinum. She has performed with R&B-jazzman Herbie Hancock, soulsters Stevie Wonder and India.Arie, and the late godfather of the genre, James Brown.

Welcome to the new era of soul-singing white women. In today's world, where hip-hop is the new pop and contemporary R&B rules almighty, color barriers as artistic parameters are all but erased. The music-buying youth of the moment have grown up in a mainstream sonic climate of rhythms and beats, raps and wails. Suburban kids embraced rap and hip-hop with no regard for skin color.

No longer must you break big on the R&B charts before you cross over into pop, or vice versa. Because pop radio is now so eager to spin songs from artists such as Lil Wayne, Alicia Keys, Kanye West, Mariah Carey and Keyshia Cole with the same fervor as programmers on the R&B dials, there seem to be no restrictions. Soul is now all about the sound, not the look.

But origins do exist. The doors didn't suddenly fling open.

The acceptance of Duffy, Winehouse and Stone, not to mention that of still-emerging soul and jazz singer Adele, can be traced to the pioneering work of women from Dusty Springfield to Lisa Stansfield and many in between.

Springfield's soulful 1969 hit "Son of a Preacher Man" helped open the doors. Her landmark Dusty in Memphis album continues to be a signpost for fair-skinned female vocalists who feel the rhythm and the blues. In the late '70s, California's Teena Marie arrived on the R&B scene with a funked-up bang. Discovered by the late Rick James, her mentor and one-time lover, Ms. Marie charted classics such as "I'm a Sucker for Your Love," "Square Biz" and "Lovergirl." Deborah Harry, the iconic lead singer of Blondie, was one of the first white women to rap on the stylistic 1980 hit "Rapture."

Annie Lennox, the cool Brit mouthpiece of '80s pop-synth duo Eurythmics, was always a soul diva underneath the hot orange hair. In the latter Eurythmics years, she sang a duet with soul queen Aretha Franklin on the irresistible anthem "Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves." As a solo artist, Ms. Lennox remained R&B-drenched on 1992's Diva, 1995's Medusa, 2003's Bare and 2007's Songs of Mass Destruction.

Fellow English songstress Stansfield blatantly courted R&B from the onset of her solo tenure. The former member of British pop-soul trio Blue Zone UK enjoyed three R&B No. 1 smashes, 1990's "All Around the World" and "You Can't Deny It," as well as 1992's sultry ballad "All Woman." Later, in 1997, she ably covered the late soul master Barry White on her rendition of "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up."

There are many other examples of soul-singing white women in the pantheon of pop and R&B music, such as the always R&B-tinged Alison Moyet, first of electronic dance duo Yaz and then as a solo artist. Ultimately, they all prove that skin color doesn't matter one bit. It's all about the artistic essence.