Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Identify this movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Identify this movie?

Old 07-27-08, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identify this movie?

Saw it a couple of months ago, foreign with subtitles and English dialog, injured child and young actor in a silent-era L.A. hospital become friends, he tells her a tale the the film dramatizes. Filmed in many countries, hero (played by the hospitalized actor) wears a square mask, has a troupe of other men, each with a particular set of skills, to help him find and kill an evil tyrant. Cinematography was amazing, and for the life of me I cannot remember the name. TIA.
Old 07-27-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
havent seen it but it sounds like THE FALL
Old 07-27-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
havent seen it but it sounds like THE FALL
I was just going to post that it is The Fall.
Old 07-27-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just looked this up and the trailer is amazing. Is this available anywhere? Didnt see a listing for it on DVD anywhere.

Edit: NM, its coming out on 9/9/08. Definintely gonna check this one out.
Old 07-27-08, 02:26 PM

Yep, that's it. I knew someone here would know. Got the year wrong, but you guys nailed it. Excellent film, BTW. See it!

THANKS!
Old 07-27-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great movie. #3 on my list for the year. Can't wait for the DVD.

K
Old 07-27-08, 04:06 PM

While the rest of the cast did an admirable job, the child who played Alexandria (Cantica Untaru) was simply amazing. Most of the time I could not tell she was acting at all. The last DVD I bought (my obsession has long since faded) was the Twin Peaks Gold Box. This disc will, however, definitely make it into my now meager collection.

BTW, every keyword I tried on IMDB in my failed search to find this title was wrong!
Old 07-27-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember us discussing this when it was announced. There were some screenshots posted and whatnot, the new film from the director of 'The Cell'.

So it turned out to be a good movie huh?

Holy cow, I must see this. Ebert's 4 star review is glowing.

Tarsem's "The Fall" is a mad folly, an extravagant visual orgy, a free-fall from reality into uncharted realms. Surely it is one of the wildest indulgences a director has ever granted himself. Tarsem, for two decades a leading director of music videos and TV commercials, spent millions of his own money to finance "The Fall," filmed it for four years in 28 countries and has made a movie that you might want to see for no other reason than because it exists. There will never be another like it.
Old 07-27-08, 09:01 PM

Yes, I saw it late one night in our local arthouse, going by the reviews. I was completely unprepared for what I saw ('visual orgy' just about says it), and as I said earlier, simply stunned by the acting job of the little girl. How a director can get a kid to do what she does in this film is something to see. The plot is so-so, the acting about the same (except the child's) but on the whole it is an amazing film. To really appreciate it, it needs a digital projection on a big screen, so don't bother watching it on your computer. I just hope the DVD treatment does it justice.