Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who -- "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End" -- S4 season finale, no spoilers

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who -- "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End" -- S4 season finale, no spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, so I need some help with what is going on in terms of the Doctor's mythology, but I would like to keep this thread spoiler free for those of us waiting to see part 2 next week on Sci-Fi. PLEASE RESPECT THAT!

I'm so far completely blown away by what lead us to this point! Billie Piper's return was just brilliantly handled IMHO. I know many folks poo-poo RTD, but the way every character's return (right down to Harriet Jones!!!!) was tied in was pretty damn cool. (Not to mention a great Who-lite episode last week with "Turn Left"!)

So my question is about this whole Dalek situation. From where did this lot come? I understand that one of them did an emergency timeshift that left it mentally unstable, but is that the same Dalek that escaped via a similar means in "Evolution of the Daleks" last season? I suspect that it is not and that these characters are from another part of the mythology. I saw Catherine Tate on Graham Nortan a few weeks back, and she said that Tennant and Davies were blathering on together about this plotline and she'd just smiled and nodded because it was couched in mythology that she didn't know anything about. So can someone backstory that plotpoint for any of us out here who started their Doctor Who journey with this incarnation of the series? Thanks! (AGAIN -Please be spoiler-free in terms of this finale!)
Old 07-27-08, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think these are the same Daleks that got sent packing to an inter-dimensional void right around the time Rose got stuck in an alternative Earth reality/dimension. They just found a way to break down the walls between dimensions. Somehow Davros (from the original series) got added back into the mix.

I've learned that with Doctor Who it's easier to ignore the mechanisms that enable these sorts of things -- popular heroes and villains **always** return one way or another, and the means by which it occurs is merely incidental. I just try to enjoy the experience at hand. Anyone with more concrete answers please chime in!
Old 07-27-08, 05:02 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I liked how they included Gwen & Ianto from Torchwood and Luke & Mr. Smith from Sarah Jane Adventures. This sort of thing really gels the 'Whoniverse' for me.
Old 07-27-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
but is that the same Dalek that escaped via a similar means in "Evolution of the Daleks" last season?
Yes, that's the same one.
Old 07-28-08, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
I liked how they included Gwen & Ianto from Torchwood and Luke & Mr. Smith from Sarah Jane Adventures. This sort of thing really gels the 'Whoniverse' for me.
For those of us that don't watch those series, would you mind giving us a brief down on who these people/things are?
Old 07-28-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by malichai
For those of us that don't watch those series, would you mind giving us a brief down on who these people/things are?
Okay, I'll take a stab at it. This is about 95% correct, I'm certain others will fill in any important gaps I leave out (or correct any glaring errors):

Sarah Jane Smith was one of the Doctor's companions from a while back. She traveled about with the 3rd (Jon Pertwee) and 4th (Tom Baker) Doctors, and was one of the most popular companions of the entire run. Years after leaving the Doctor, we met up with her again during the 10th (David Tennant) Doctor's journeys, during the revamped series' 2nd year. She has her own spin-off series, The Sarah Jane Adventures, which is aimed at a younger audience. She has a sonic lipstick, an adopted son (Luke), and a couple of young "companions" of her own. She scurries around England (well, Wales more likely) solving alien-influenced crimes with the help of her supercomputer, Mister Smith.

Torchwood is the larger of the two spin-off series. Set in Cardiff, it follows the exploits of Torchwood Three, which monitors rift activity and collects/catalogs alien artifacts (and the occasional alien being) who falls through the rift to earth. Led by Captain Jack Harkness, this Torchwood is one of 4 such institutes. Torchwood One, in London, was destroyed at the end of Season 2 when the Daleks and Cybermen warred upon each other after punching a hole through our dimension from their own. It's also the one that blasted the smithereens out of an invading fleet (at Harriet Jones' order) during the Season 2 prequel "The Christmas Invasion". Torchwood Two in Glasgow is a big secret. Torchwood Four is "missing". There are (at present) two staff members at Torchwood Three - Ianto (pronounced "YON-to") Jones and Gwen Cooper.

Captain Jack was introduced in Season One (9th Doctor, Christopher Eccleston) as a Time Agent from the 51st Century. He travelled with the Doctor and Rose for the final 5 episodes before being killed by the Daleks. Rose resurrected him using the Tardis' time vortex, which had the unintended side effect of making Jack immortal. He cannot die. Oh, and "Jack Harkness" isn't his real name.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-01-08 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As for Torchwood, Capt. Jack's been the leader of the Cardiff branch since the show debuted 2 seasons back. (Sarah Jane Adventures has had 1 season so far.)

The finale of Torchwood's 2nd season had... [no Who spoilers, major Torchwood cast spoilers]
Spoiler:
devestating consequences for that squad, with 2 of the regulars killed in the ep. Only Gwen & Ianto remain. There's a brief shoutout to the dead you may have picked up--right before the Who cliffhanger they say they're gonna "go out fighting like Owen & Tosh." Also, Capt. Jack & Ianto are, like, totally doing it.
Old 07-28-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW - I particularly liked how Harriet Jones kept introducing herself. That was a nice homage to her character's very first appearance back in S1 when she would flash her ID card and say to anyone who would listen, "Harriet Jones, MP, Flydale North".

Oh, and the subwave network that was created by the "Mister Copper Foundation"?? Mr. Copper was the gent the Doctor rescued from the Titanic in "Voyage of the Damned" and who was left on Earth with a debit card worth £1 Million.
Old 07-29-08, 08:36 AM

^ The Daleks telling her they knew who she was when she flashed them her ID card was fantastic.

I absolutely loved this season. Donna is the best thing.
Old 07-29-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xfusejc
^ The Daleks telling her they knew who she was when she flashed them her ID card was fantastic.

I absolutely loved this season. Donna is the best thing.
I loved that too. A nice touch. Anyone know the name of the episode Sarah Jane first met the Daleks?

Am surprised there aren't more reviews of this great episode.

Last edited by riley_dude; 07-29-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
I loved that too. A nice touch. Anyone know the name of the episode Sarah Jane first met the Daleks?
Death to the Daleks.
Old 07-30-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Oh, and the subwave network that was created by the "Mister Copper Foundation"?? Mr. Copper was the gent the Doctor rescued from the Titanic in "Voyage of the Damned" and who was left on Earth with a debit card worth £1 Million.
Nice catch! I totally missed that.

Originally Posted by adamblast
The finale of Torchwood's 2nd season had... [no Who spoilers, major Torchwood cast spoilers]
Spoiler:
devestating consequences for that squad, with 2 of the regulars killed in the ep. Only Gwen & Ianto remain. There's a brief shoutout to the dead you may have picked up--right before the Who cliffhanger they say they're gonna "go out fighting like Owen & Tosh." Also, Capt. Jack & Ianto are, like, totally doing it.
You know I'd totally forgotten that! I liked it better when then ran both shows side by side like when Capt. Jack finished the first Torchwood season and literally ran up to the Tardis to join the Doctor and Martha for S3's 3 part finale.

Oh and one other thing about Capt. Jack Harkness - he seems to have something about him that make any living creature fall for him... hence the Doctor frequently telling him to "stop it!" Jack is currently sleeping with Ianto.
Old 07-30-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been a bit curious, but never found the right thread to ask - Did any of the older episodes ever shown the Time War? Or, is it something that has just been referenced in the current run?

I watched a whole bunch of the old episodes thru netflix last year, but never saw any regarding the Time War.
Old 07-30-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is something only talked about but never seen.
Old 07-30-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Rose resurrected him using the Tardis' time vortex, which had the unintended side effect of making Jack immortal. He cannot die.
But...
Spoiler:
...didn't Captain Jack become the Face of Boe and eventually die when he's billions of years old?
Old 07-31-08, 06:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhmac
But...
Spoiler:
...didn't Captain Jack become the Face of Boe and eventually die when he's billions of years old?
Spoiler:
They hinted at that, but never said conclusively
Old 08-01-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another great moment from =The Stolen Earth=

Sarah Jane: "It's night. It was 8:00 in the morning. Mr. Smith, I need you!"
Mr. Smith slides out of the wall as the soundtrack swells
Sarah Jane: "I wish you'd stop giving that fanfare and just tell me what happened!"

Classic!
Old 08-01-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVR Alert: S4 Season Finale is **90** Minutes

Tonight's S4 season finale is 90 minutes long. First broadcast on SciFi is 8:30-10:00 pm EDT tonight, with a rebroadcast from 11pm-12:30am EDT (8pm-9:30pm PDT).

Recommend doublechecking your DVRs.
Old 08-01-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interested to hear everyone's reviews after they watch.
Old 08-01-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow!

How did Mickey and Sarah Jane know one another? Was Mickey along for the ride back in S2 for =School Reunion=? Because if not, I don't think SJ's path crossed the Doctor's during Mickey's tenure.

Also
Spoiler:
it was nice to see K-9 again, but I didn't know he could, uhh, "materialize" on command. And if he has been busy containing that Swiss black hole, (a) how does he have the time to pop out without worrying that the earth could collapse into the singularity, and (b) if the black hole is still there, why didn't the SJA crew think to tap into the power to stop the Daleks?
Old 08-01-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow!

How did Mickey and Sarah Jane know one another? Was Mickey along for the ride back in S2 for =School Reunion=? Because if not, I don't think SJ's path crossed the Doctor's during Mickey's tenure.

Also
Spoiler:
it was nice to see K-9 again, but I didn't know he could, uhh, "materialize" on command. And if he has been busy containing that Swiss black hole, (a) how does he have the time to pop out without worrying that the earth could collapse into the singularity, and (b) if the black hole is still there, why didn't the SJA crew think to tap into the power to stop the Daleks?
They did cross paths in School Reunion. Yes.
Old 08-02-08, 11:35 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode(s).
Spoiler:
Seeing Davros and having him recognize Sarah Jane Smith made the show for me

And seeing SJ Smith made me realize the new companions can't hold a candle to the companions in the old series.
Old 08-02-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Liked the finale. Since the Doctor is companionless at the moment it'd be great if he ran into his daughter again.
Old 08-02-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As much as people on here seem to slam Russell T Davies, I LOVED the finale! So can someone inform me on previous episodes in terms of the Doctor's previous companions (from the last incarnation of the show)? Was Sarah Jane the only one who survived and was returned to Earth?

What *I* love about this episode was the moment the Doctor and Rose saw Gwen and recognized her from their S1 visit to 1869 Cardiff - Gwyneth. NICE!

I also liked wrapping up the Rose storyline with her ending up with a human version of the Doctor. I cried. Still - that daughter is out there... wonder what she's up to!

So did it seem to anyone that watches both shows that Martha is returning to Torchwood? Also Dalek Caan said that one of the companions was supposed to die... or was he referencing Davros?

In any case - BRILLIANT! (Or as Donna would have said "Wizard!") I will miss Donna as I now miss Martha (which is why I'm hoping she re-joins Torchwood). WHO next DOCTOR?!!??!!?!

Thanks to all who kept this thread spoiler free and contributed! WOW! All the companions in one!

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-02-08 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan

So did it seem to anyone that watches both shows that Martha is returning to Torchwood?
I'm fully expecting to see Martha and Policeman Andy joining the Torchwood team.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.