Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Onkyo 606 or Sony STR-DG820?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-26-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I know many people LOATHE Sony, but I've always had good luck with their receivers. I'm looking to upgrade my receiver (eventually). I was looking at the Onkyo 606 since people love it. I also was looking at the Sony STR-DG820 since it is a bit cheaper.

Both have 4 HDMI inputs (which I want).

Basically, this is what will connect to the receiver.

- Cable Box DVR (Comcast) via HDMI
- PS3 via HDMI
- 360 via HDMI
- Wii via Component

My brother has the Onkyo 605 and one gripe he has when a cable channels switches from digital to analog for a commercial or something, the receiver clicks. I could find that getting annoying also. Just curious if that is common with HDMI receivers?

I currently have a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver (no HDMI is my issue)
Old 07-26-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Sony receivers have you had to have? I had a Yamaha for something like 15 years, and now an Onkyo for 5 years. The only reason to ever upgrade was to get DD/DTS, and this year I probably will again for HDMI and the HD audio codecs. And to move to separates.

The 1000ES is decent, but probably comparable to receivers costing something like $200 less from Onkyo or Denon. The DG series is NOT the ES series, you would be dropping a few levels of sound quality. I would definitely recommend the 606 of these two choices.

I don't know about the click, it seems like something that should not happen. I don't have an HDMI receiver, but my older Onkyo doesn't do this with digital audio. I wonder if it happens via optical from the cable box.
Old 07-26-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I swear I've heard my Onkyo 606 click a few times. I don't know what it's from. It hasn't happened enough to be annoying. I love it.
Old 07-28-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I'm leaning towards Onkyo. It will upconvert Component to HDMI, correct? Apparently the Sony will NOT do that.
Old 07-31-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Ok, I'm leaning towards Onkyo. It will upconvert Component to HDMI, correct? Apparently the Sony will NOT do that.
I think you have to step up to the DG920 to do that.
Old 08-02-08, 10:30 PM

Yes it does...

I have been thinking of getting this receiver as well, been reading a lot of reviews about it.
Old 08-02-08, 11:17 PM

After checking the Sony it looks like both are very similar and Sony is cheaper.

I wonder if Sony supports 6 Ohm speakers???
Old 08-03-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I promise you, the Sony is NOT similar. Definitely cheaper though, although I don't think you and I are using the same definition of that word.

Sony doesn't really support 8ohm speakers, certainly not 6.
Old 08-03-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The first receiver I ever owned was a Sony, back in the early nineties, I think. I vowed to never get another Sony receiver. Sony makes a lot of good stuff but receivers are not their strength.

Last edited by movielib; 08-03-08 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Onkyo...no question.
Old 08-04-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought the 820 the other day and am very happy with it. 4 HDMI plus all HD audio formats decoded for $359 sounded good to me.

DTS HD Master Audio and TrueHD sound terrific from the Sony. It most definitely gets the job done for me.
Old 08-04-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
I promise you, the Sony is NOT similar. Definitely cheaper though, although I don't think you and I are using the same definition of that word.

Sony doesn't really support 8ohm speakers, certainly not 6.
This is the problem with all these bells, whistles and cool green lights on todays receivers. Think about all the threads we have seen: "what receiver has 4 hdmi inputs" "what receiver does upconverting of video" "what receiver is 7.1".

When was the last time some asked "what receiver sounds good?".

I understand surround receivers are a "hub" of a theater system. But to me, it is first and formost about the quality of sound. Everything else is a bonus.
Old 08-05-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just read the CNET review of the Onkyo 606. I was surprised to see that it is supposed to have poor quality video upconversion, at least for 480i sources. Though I also read that most receivers don't even offer this kind of feature in this price range. I was kind of confused by the review... Is CNET only referring to stuff connected by non-HDMI means?

My Onkyo won't arrive until later this week and I kind of thought that I would have my HD-A2 and PS3 connected by HDMI-inputs and the TV would be connected to the receiver by HDMI with the one output. That is what will give me the best video and audio, from my system, right? I want to make sure I set this thing up right.
Old 08-05-08, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GenPion
I just read the CNET review of the Onkyo 606. I was surprised to see that it is supposed to have poor quality video upconversion, at least for 480i sources. Though I also read that most receivers don't even offer this kind of feature in this price range. I was kind of confused by the review... Is CNET only referring to stuff connected by non-HDMI means?

My Onkyo won't arrive until later this week and I kind of thought that I would have my HD-A2 and PS3 connected by HDMI-inputs and the TV would be connected to the receiver by HDMI with the one output. That is what will give me the best video and audio, from my system, right? I want to make sure I set this thing up right.

Yes. Best audio and video.
Old 08-05-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like you barely have any upconverting to do, anyway. But it does have just basic upconverting from Faroudja, not the best by any means. If you want a higher level, wait for the DVDO Edge to start shipping. It will have their latest ABT scaler for a mere $700. Compare to $3000 for their other product with this chip.
Old 08-05-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, actually, the only thing I was even remotely concerned about in up-converting was my DVD playback on my PS3.

Based on your response I'm guessing I was mistaken to think that was an issue of concern because my PS3 will be hooked up through HDMI. Is that correct?

Or am I still confused? I don't know.
Old 08-05-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You would likely have the PS3 doing the upconverting with that hookup. So moot point on the receiver's ability. I think from user reports that the PS3 would be better.
Old 08-05-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, the PS3 does a nice job of upconverting. I personally like my A3 better, but the PS3 is very good. I had the PS3 long enough to where it did not have the FW to do the upconverting. And once they did that, it is a nice player. Remote still an issue, but a nice player.
Old 08-05-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks guys. I guess I shouldn't worry about how it will work then if the PS3 will just do it automatically for me anyway even while connected to my receiver.
Old 08-07-08, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I just bought the 820 the other day and am very happy with it. 4 HDMI plus all HD audio formats decoded for $359 sounded good to me.

DTS HD Master Audio and TrueHD sound terrific from the Sony. It most definitely gets the job done for me.
Well the 606 can be had for about the same price on line if you look around. I'm not an Onkyo fan but I would take the 606 over the Sony in a heart beat.
Old 08-11-08, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My 606 has the dreaded "buzz" issue. Yikes.

It's going to have to be returned as a defective receiver. There's no accepting this. The only way to bypass this problem (which is VERY annoying and loud) is to turn off the Audyssey feature. That ain't happening.

Hopefully 6th Ave. (I ordered from them through Amazon) will pull through and let me just flat out return it. I have no interest in owning an Onkyo now.

I could get the Denon 1909 for $500 from J+R. Frankly, I think that is my best bet. It has all the same features I haven't heard of any problems with the sound (and it also runs at around 20 degrees instead of 50 from what I've read). It also has the same Audyssey features - plus the one that equalizes sound when switching between TV stations and from when shows go to commercials (I always hated that spike in the audio level).

Does anyone else think that sounds like a fair trade-off? I have no other ideas.

Last edited by GenPion; 08-11-08 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
This is the problem with all these bells, whistles and cool green lights on todays receivers. Think about all the threads we have seen: "what receiver has 4 hdmi inputs" "what receiver does upconverting of video" "what receiver is 7.1".

When was the last time some asked "what receiver sounds good?".

I understand surround receivers are a "hub" of a theater system. But to me, it is first and formost about the quality of sound. Everything else is a bonus.

I agree with you but those bells and whistles are more of a preference. However what receiver sounds good is different for ppl. Some receivers may sound better for person A while person B doesnt like it.

That being said Sony doesnt really have great audio stuff, never did.
Old 08-22-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
I could get the Denon 1909 for $500 from J+R. Frankly, I think that is my best bet. It has all the same features I haven't heard of any problems with the sound (and it also runs at around 20 degrees instead of 50 from what I've read). It also has the same Audyssey features - plus the one that equalizes sound when switching between TV stations and from when shows go to commercials (I always hated that spike in the audio level).
What do you mean by 20 degrees?
Old 08-22-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My brother has the Onkyo 605 and one gripe he has when a cable channels switches from digital to analog for a commercial or something, the receiver clicks. I could find that getting annoying also. Just curious if that is common with HDMI receivers?

I currently have a Sony STR-DA1000ES receiver (no HDMI is my issue)
I have an Onkyo HT-R520, and it clicks sometimes also. It does this when the audio format changes. For example, if a commercial comes on that is in 2.0, when I am watching a show that is in 5.1, it will click when it changes over. I have the audio hooked up via optical out. It doesn't annoy me, but I could see how it could annoy others.
Old 08-22-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overpar
What do you mean by 20 degrees?
He means the temperature of the receiver in celsius apparently. I also doubt 20 degrees is the actual temp.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.