Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Rick Springfield - "Venus in Overdrive" album Preview

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-24-08, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that are interested....sounds like a very strong release. Lot's of good writing and melody. "What's Vicoria's Secret" is one of many standout tracks.

The full album can be previewed here:

http://www.umeportal.com/product.asp...=art&pid=13974
Old 07-24-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Has to be the worst album title I've ever heard. But good luck to the guy.
Old 07-25-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. Now I'm a big Rick Springfield fan from the '80s. Haven't kept up with his last several albums. But this album is all kinds of good. Well written, radio-friendly, and just some good rock and roll. Blows my mind to think that he turns 60 next year.
Old 07-30-08, 03:01 PM

fyi...Out now and on sale at Best Buy for $9.99

Great CD
Old 07-30-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jmhouse
fyi...Out now and on sale at Best Buy for $9.99
Best Buy version includes 2 bonus tracks also: "My Generation" and an acoustic version of "Jessie's Girl."

Heard "What's Vicoria's Secret" on General Hospital yesterday. Kinda reminds me of his 80's songs.
Old 08-19-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read the following on Yahoo Chart Watch:

Ups & Downs: Rick Springfield's Venus In Overdrive drops from #28 to #173. Sales slipped 76% compared to last week, the steepest decline in the top 200.

OUCH! That has to be a record. Poor Rick. He was just on Chelsea Lately beeming that this was his highest debuting album ever. Which I found odd. Guess that meant his first few albums debuted lower and climbed with each hit song? These days, albums debut high and drop like a stone if you don't start off with a strong single (sales, airplay).
Old 08-19-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Has to be the worst album title I've ever heard.
Originally Posted by Jmhouse
"What's Vicoria's Secret" is one of many standout tracks.
It's certainly the worst song title I've ever heard.
Old 08-19-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
It's certainly the worst song title I've ever heard.
That's just because he spelled it wrong, it's actually "what's victoria's secret?"
Old 08-19-08, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ups & Downs: Rick Springfield's Venus In Overdrive drops from #28 to #173. Sales slipped 76% compared to last week, the steepest decline in the top 200.

OUCH! That has to be a record.
actually, the limited 2 disc edition of NIN's live album from 2002 has that beat. It fell from #26 to #190. But I'm sure Rick's somewhere in the top 5 drops
Old 08-19-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OUCH! That has to be a record. Poor Rick. He was just on Chelsea Lately beeming that this was his highest debuting album ever. Which I found odd. Guess that meant his first few albums debuted lower and climbed with each hit song? These days, albums debut high and drop like a stone if you don't start off with a strong single (sales, airplay).
Definitely par for the course these days, especially with a lot of the older acts who haven't released anything in awhile. The trend you see now is that the core fan base, and curious re-interested parties who see that so-and-so happens to have a new album out, all buy it the first week and that creates an initial big surge. After that, though, with pretty much everybody who was going to initially buy it having done so, there's hardly any follow up. Particularly from promotion by radio. I haven't heard the song on the radio here. Has anyone else heard it where they live?

You can have one of the strongest singles out there, but radio still needs to play it in order to make it a hit. If they don't, it doesn't matter how good your song is. These days, 'hit' radio seems to have very little interest in playing music from artists that haven't had one in quite some time. It's all about the 'new thing'. They figure that their core audience doesn't care about some geezer that their mom or dad used to listen to.

However, considering that his last few albums barely, if at all, charted on the Top 200 - The Day After Yesterday (2007) covers album #197, Shock/Denial/Anger/Acceptance (2004) no chart position, and Karma (1999) #189 - at least he still was able to hit his highest chart position since Rock Of Life (#55), which was released twenty years ago.
Even if it was only for a week, he can claim somewhat of a victory. The fact that the album is getting pretty solid reviews doesn't hurt much either.

While I'm sure he'd be happy if the album continues to sell, I don't necessarily think he's crying about it too much.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 08-19-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-19-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^What he said. Radio (lack of airplay) is responsible for the drops. They are just too narrow-minded to play anything by anyone who isn't trendy or hip (hop). Ultimately, the responsibility is on the listeners who want the same stuff.
Old 08-21-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
^What he said. Radio (lack of airplay) is responsible for the drops. They are just too narrow-minded to play anything by anyone who isn't trendy or hip (hop). Ultimately, the responsibility is on the listeners who want the same stuff.
I agree. It really pisses me off that US radio is the one place that does not respect longevity and the sort. Radio stations refuse to touch new music from artists who are over 40. Whereas on the other hand, put Jack Nicholson or Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro in a new movie and most theaters will book it because they're legendary actors being rewarded for their longevity. I don't see the difference. There are so many artists from the 60's, 70's and 80's who are continuing to make great music, but the only songs you're going to hear by them on the radio are the oldies if lucky. All of these actors I've listed have debunked the whole "you have peaked before you were 40 and everything you do now is irrelevant" theory, so why does radio give older musicians that treatment, even tho people like Elton and McCartney are STILL making great music and have songs on their recent albums that could've been hits had people heard them.
Old 08-22-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I haven't heard the song on the radio here. Has anyone else heard it where they live?
My wife said she heard it the other day on "9FM"... a variety station in the Chicago market. Their slogan is "we play anything" which is somewhat true.

But I agree with nothingfails, there are a TON of artists that I like that I NEVER hear on the radio. If it weren't for the internet, I would never know they had new stuff out. They don't even have a fighting chance most of the time. If the public had a chance to actually hear the new stuff by these artists, I'm sure they would have more recent hits.

I like the new RS album. "What's Victoria's Secret?" is catchy as hell.
Old 08-24-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Definitely par for the course these days, especially with a lot of the older acts who haven't released anything in awhile. The trend you see now is that the core fan base, and curious re-interested parties who see that so-and-so happens to have a new album out, all buy it the first week and that creates an initial big surge. After that, though, with pretty much everybody who was going to initially buy it having done so, there's hardly any follow up. Particularly from promotion by radio. I haven't heard the song on the radio here. Has anyone else heard it where they live?

You can have one of the strongest singles out there, but radio still needs to play it in order to make it a hit. If they don't, it doesn't matter how good your song is. These days, 'hit' radio seems to have very little interest in playing music from artists that haven't had one in quite some time. It's all about the 'new thing'. They figure that their core audience doesn't care about some geezer that their mom or dad used to listen to.

However, considering that his last few albums barely, if at all, charted on the Top 200 - The Day After Yesterday (2007) covers album #197, Shock/Denial/Anger/Acceptance (2004) no chart position, and Karma (1999) #189 - at least he still was able to hit his highest chart position since Rock Of Life (#55), which was released twenty years ago.
Even if it was only for a week, he can claim somewhat of a victory. The fact that the album is getting pretty solid reviews doesn't hurt much either.

While I'm sure he'd be happy if the album continues to sell, I don't necessarily think he's crying about it too much.

Terrestrial radio is the reason why the music industry is dead. It is so limited in what they play. And, yes, they do discriminate with older artists. Sad, but true. So many huge acts and performers from the 80's (or earlier) that are in their 40's (or older) never ever get airplay. Just two examples (other than Springfield), the Go-Go's and the Pretenders. Their last albums were their best in years, and both were completely ignored by radio. And as a result, both had terrible sales. And neither group have plans on doing another album anytime soon. Really sad. All I can say is, thank God for satellite radio.
Old 08-25-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad but true. I hate most of radio these days.

The living legend, Donna Summer, has a great album and a fantastic tour this summer (which I saw twice) but gets almost no airplay. Yet, she still manages 2-#1 hits on the dance charts.
Old 08-25-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Terrestrial radio is the reason why the music industry is dead. It is so limited in what they play. And, yes, they do discriminate with older artists. Sad, but true. So many huge acts and performers from the 80's (or earlier) that are in their 40's (or older) never ever get airplay. Just two examples (other than Springfield), the Go-Go's and the Pretenders. Their last albums were their best in years, and both were completely ignored by radio. And as a result, both had terrible sales. And neither group have plans on doing another album anytime soon. Really sad. All I can say is, thank God for satellite radio.
actually, The Pretenders have a new album coming this fall
Old 08-25-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by big whoppa
Sad but true. I hate most of radio these days.

The living legend, Donna Summer, has a great album and a fantastic tour this summer (which I saw twice) but gets almost no airplay. Yet, she still manages 2-#1 hits on the dance charts.
when you look at the dance chart, it makes me wonder why top 40 radio is so discriminate. The majority of the clubbers are in the 19-25 range and respond as well to new material by people like Donna, Cyndi Lauper and The B-52's, all of which were around before they were born, as they do with Rihanna and Beyonce. When you see the way artists as old as Yoko Ono (who just had a dance #1 two weeks ago) and as young as Miley Cyrus co-existing on the dancefloors, makes you wonder why radio is so much more limited in its scope. Do you think the average 22 year old clubber frets about age when they hear Donna's I'm A Fire or Cyndi's Into The Nightlife, two recent dance #1's? Hell no, they love the song and don't care that they are in their mid/late 50's and peaked before they were born. Radio should consider the same mentality.
Old 08-26-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fiancee and I saw Rick in concert a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely amazing. The man just turned 59(!) years old, but is built like a 30 year-old athlete and was going non-stop, balls-out rock the entire show -- not even stopping for a ballad or two. It was mind-boggling.

And, yeah, radio has sucked for pretty much ever. Flavor of the month or classic rock and nothing else. Useless.
Old 08-27-08, 12:44 PM

Most Radio stations are owned by giant corporations. So they basically give the DJ's a set playlist of songs they are allowed to play on the air. So I prefer to listen to am or a talk radio channel. I get sick of hearing the same songs day in and day out.