Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chuck Season 1 and Supernatural Season 3 headed to Blu November 11th

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-23-08, 10:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Warner Home Video has announced that they will bring 'Chuck: The Complete First Season' and 'Supernatural: The Complete Third Season' to Blu-ray on November 11th.

The first season of 'Chuck' will come on a three-disc set utilizing 1080p VC-1 video and a 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack. Extras for this release include:

* Declassified Scenes
* Chuck's World: An inside look at character development and casting sessions
* Chuck on Chuck: Series Stars Zachary Levi and Joshua Gomez join creators Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedek for some point/counterpoint
* Chuck vs. the Chuckles: aka: The Gag Reel
* Chuck's Online World: a gallery of web originated mini-featurettes List Pirce is $49.95
and....

Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc release of Supernatural Season 3 on 11th November 2008 priced at $79.98 SRP. Sam and Dean Winchester continue the fight against the supernatural on behalf of humanity in the third season of Supernatural which also sees the brothers looking for a way to keep Dean out of hell following a deal he makes with a demon.

Arriving two-months after the DVD release, episodes are spread across three-discs with the following features:

* 1080P 1.78:1 Widescreen
* English DD5.1 Surround
* Portuguese DD2.0 Stereo
* English, French, Spanish and Chinese subtitles
* From Legends to Reality: Supernatural Effects
* Impala Featurette: A Look Inside the Classic 1967 Chevrolet Impala
* Scene Specifics: Short Segments Showcasing Creative Team Members Discussing Favourite Aspects of Particular Episodes
* Ghostfacers! Confessionals Minifeaturette Gallery
* Gag Reel
* Plus a bonus offer for a Digital Copy of the entire season
also...

They have also revealed that 'Torchwood: The Complete First Season' has been delayed two months, and will now be released on November 11th.
I'll gladly purchase Chuck...but starting off again at such an odd point in a show (Season 3)...pass. The 2 month delay does suck.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-23-08 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-23-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate when they start with some random season. I might get Chuck. But there is a part of me that knows I won't be able to bring myself to pay a regular season price for a season that was cut very short.
Old 07-23-08, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Edit: List price is $49.95. Making this $35ish on Amazon! Sweet.

Last edited by Gizmo; 07-23-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-23-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess better late than never - I'm getting Chuck, Supernatural and Torchwood for sure. Glad they announced these before the SD DVD's hit, otherwise I'd have been pissed!
Old 07-23-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No pricing on Chuck yet...but I think its 12 or 13 episodes. So maybe an Amazon price of $40-$45?

Yeah, the first season was 13 episodes. I'll bet it'll be $27.95 like "Pushing Daisies" and "The Sarah Connor Chronicles".
Old 07-23-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Shit! I *just* ordered Supernatural: Season 3 on DVD two weeks ago from Warner's site. I hate canceling with them; it's so freakin' tedious.
Old 07-23-08, 11:32 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why first November for Chuck.

I will wait to see if any stores have exclusives before I make a choice.
Old 07-23-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts
Yeah for Supernatural, but I want seasons 1 & 2 also.
Old 07-23-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
The NBC broadcasts of Chuck are some of the very worst "High Definition" I've ever seen. The show has really bad, ugly photography caked in layers and layers of grain. It's soft and dupey, and often doesn't look better than VHS quality.

The Blu-ray will probably rectify some of NBC's macroblocking and motion artifact problems, but I wouldn't hold out hope for a stunning "eye candy" presentation.
Old 07-23-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Uh, as long as it's better than the dvd presentation I have no problem. Especially considering I got it for 27 and some change from the Warner site.
Old 07-23-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argghhh! Why couldn't they announce this earlier? I ordered Chuck regular DVD version when Warner had their online sale... :-(
Old 07-24-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Yvonne in Blu
Old 07-24-08, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I hate when they start with some random season.
They are not starting with some random season for Supernatural...

A new release for Blu Ray, in line with the DVD release, is going to sell more than starting with a catalog season, at least that's the way the studios see it. Someone who has season's one and two on DVD, would probably be more inclined to purchase season 3 on Blu Ray, rather than starting from scratch again at season one, at least for now.

Hopefully it'll sell well, and we'll see the first two seasons next year. I'm just glad it was finally announced, as I was disappointed when the other tv titles on Blu Ray from Warner were announced a few monthes ago, sans Supernatural.
Old 07-24-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Yeah, didn't Warner's original TV slate have only Terminator and Smallville in Blu, then they added Pushing Daisies, Chuck, and Supernatural? I like the way they're moving.
Old 07-24-08, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Uh, as long as it's better than the dvd presentation I have no problem. Especially considering I got it for 27 and some change from the Warner site.
But that's the thing; with the amount of grain that Chuck has and as soft as the presentation is, the BD might end up looking no better than a DVD with a somewhat decent transfer. The show did look pretty damn bad.

Originally Posted by John*D
They are not starting with some random season for Supernatural...

A new release for Blu Ray, in line with the DVD release, is going to sell more than starting with a catalog season, at least that's the way the studios see it. Someone who has season's one and two on DVD, would probably be more inclined to purchase season 3 on Blu Ray, rather than starting from scratch again at season one, at least for now.
But it's not really "in line" with the DVD if the DVD is released two months prior, which happens to be the case with Supernatural.

Last edited by Vipper II; 07-24-08 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice
Yeah, the first season was 13 episodes. I'll bet it'll be $27.95 like "Pushing Daisies" and "The Sarah Connor Chronicles".
Well except both of the shows you used for comparison pricing were only 9 episode seasons instead of 13 so Chuck S1 may cost a little more.
Old 07-24-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Uh, as long as it's better than the dvd presentation I have no problem.
Chuck may be a case where the lower resolution of the DVD helps to make the presentation look more consistent from shot to shot.
Old 07-24-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Well except both of the shows you used for comparison pricing were only 9 episode seasons instead of 13 so Chuck S1 may cost a little more.

Yeah, but both of those shows used, like, two or three times as many special effects, so they'd probably want to charge more to help recoup their costs or something . . .

Okay, no -- you're right.
Old 07-24-08, 09:59 AM

I still wanna know when the hell is The Office going to be announced for BLU. -_-
Old 07-24-08, 11:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The NBC broadcasts of Chuck are some of the very worst "High Definition" I've ever seen. The show has really bad, ugly photography caked in layers and layers of grain. It's soft and dupey, and often doesn't look better than VHS quality.

The Blu-ray will probably rectify some of NBC's macroblocking and motion artifact problems, but I wouldn't hold out hope for a stunning "eye candy" presentation.

Seriously? It looks that bad on your side? Me and my fiancee watched every episode and I told her that this would look as good, if not better on BD. We never experienced this kind of picture. Some of the night scenes didn't look all that, but overall it looked like some pretty good HD broadcasting. i do notice the occasional macroblocking, but that's really limited to Chuck when I watch NBC shows.
Old 07-24-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Seriously? It looks that bad on your side? Me and my fiancee watched every episode and I told her that this would look as good, if not better on BD. We never experienced this kind of picture. Some of the night scenes didn't look all that, but overall it looked like some pretty good HD broadcasting. i do notice the occasional macroblocking, but that's really limited to Chuck when I watch NBC shows.
I have to agree with Josh Z here. NBC is by far the WORST at broadcasting HD. Not only is the soundtrack frequently out of sync with the picture (try watch American Gladiators which is one of the worst offenders), but the picture itself pales in comparison to other broadcast networks.
Old 07-24-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I have to agree with Josh Z here. NBC is by far the WORST at broadcasting HD. Not only is the soundtrack frequently out of sync with the picture (try watch American Gladiators which is one of the worst offenders), but the picture itself pales in comparison to other broadcast networks.
And Chuck has really bad photography for a show on any major network. It's shot on 16mm, but that's not the crux of the problem. Other recent 16mm productions such as Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls looked consistently better than Chuck ever has.
Old 07-24-08, 02:46 PM
Banned

i want the x-file
Old 07-24-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will buy Supernatural on release date Hopefully seasons 1 & 2 won't be too far behind...
Old 10-27-08, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Just a 'duh' heads up, got both today and both have DD5.1 track. Yeah, I know it got announced with them but figured I'd like you all know things have not changed. Packaging is similar to Terminator and Pushing Daisies with a slip cover and Supernatural comes with a digital copy of all of Season 3.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.