Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Tetris Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tetris Appreciation Thread

I've been bringing my Gameboy Advance SP to work with me lately, and playing Tetris Worlds a bit here and there. It got me thinking...This game hasn't changed much at all over 2 decades, and it's still friggin' addictive. I've always been a fan of these types of games, and variants, like Columns, Puzzle Fighter, Dr. Mario, etc. But plain old Tetris is still king...and IMO the best quick pick-up and play game there ever has been or will be. Heck, I was almost late to a meeting last week because I was playing Tetris while taking a dump...

I've never beaten the game (can it be beaten or does it just not end?) but, the other day, managed to get 212 lines in a game before losing. I was on a friggin roll... Anyone want to share some high scores?
Old 07-22-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I honestly have no idea whether or not it can be beaten, but that's a good question.

Tetris is always amazingly fun when I get into the further levels, but it's always so hard for me to start all over again at the beginning.

Tetris DS is probably my favorite version of it.
Old 07-22-08, 03:24 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
Tetris DS is probably my favorite version of it.
Here here!

Can it be won? This guy did his thesis on that very question:

http://www.iam.ubc.ca/theses/Brzusto...zustowski.html (it's a bunch of PDFs)

Wikipedia has a summary here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris#...lay_forever.3F
Old 07-22-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Taken from the Wikipedia article: "The game can also cause a repetitive stress symptom in that the brain will involuntarily picture tetris combinations even when the player is not playing the game (the Tetris effect), although this can occur with any computer game showcasing repeated images or scenarios."

I think Tetris and Guitar Hero/Rock Band are the only games to actually do this to me.
Old 07-22-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I thought that the new tetris game for live arcade had an end at level 15. I could never get to that point so i cant confirm.

edit: Removed not so subtle racism.

mhg83 - thinly veiled comments like this won't be tolerated here.

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 07-22-08 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
My old B&W Tetris game never ended, but depending on how many lines you got before the game ended, you saw 1 of 2 endings (A rocket blasting off, or a band playing music)
Old 07-23-08, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I LOVE Tetris....when it is done well anyways. I think i am pretty good at it as well. On Tetris DS i have completed the whole 200 line thing no problem, and the most i have ever gotten on the continuous was around the 750 lines mark and 2.5 million points. Usually i can get at least 400-500 lines without really any problems, but have to concentrate to get really good numbers. Anyone know what the world record is for this game? Must be a huge amount.

The best versions of the game i hav ever played are the original Gameboy version, the DS version and also a versio that came out for the Amiga....can't remember the name off hand, but it had a great two player version included.
Old 07-23-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
These things would be nice to have: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/24/th...ris-ice-cubes/