Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Knife to the Eye!" - Fincher options "The Goon"!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. I guess I don't check his site often enough but the news has been up since the beginning of the month. www.thegoon.com

David Fincher and Blur Studios (www.blur.com) have optioned Eric Powell's incredible "Goon" comic for a CGI feature with Dark Horse.

Now it's already established that Fincher can do dark comedy and extreme violence - and Blur (while I wasn't familiar with the name, I am familiar with their work) can do excellent CGI - ie. the Marvel Ultimate Alliance cut scenes, Simpsons Trailer, etc. This looks like a good match.

The only thing I have slight worries about is if they decide to keep it true to the comics and do a straight to DVD release (how would an extremely violent CGI film go down in theaters) or clean it up for a PG-13? I wouldn't expect "Satan's Sodomy Baby" to make an appearance or anything, but when you have plug-ugly two-bit mobsters blowing away, slicing up and performing other mean and nasty actions against zombies, vampires and all manner of supernatural beasties, you expect a few fluids to flow.

Color me excited!

edit: actual news link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...209c6ad5e03c5f

edit again - some reference images ;p

Frankie the goon's best buddy:

The Goon and Frankie vs. the Zombie Priest:

a nice piece of concept art by one of the Blur artists:

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 07-21-08 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like they've already got a poster up at SDCC:

Soooo much potential. Waiting on more news. Anyone who makes Eric Powell's panel feel free to post updates. I probably won't have anything new till it shows up on his site or the Dark Horse boards.